• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Whoa! 7x57 Finnbear Mannlicher

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Sounds like a bargain back in 1996. I would be interested in bidding on this item - 7x57 - I hope it’s on Gun Broker!

Just daydreaming a bit here: do you think who ever does purchase this rifle should never shoot it and just hold as investment?

Also, and this may seem silly: Do you believe that due to its “Holy Grail” status, the 7x57 Mannlicher should be given a name? Like “Gail” or Mother Mary ect?
I’ve named my most deadly rifle Ruger Model #1 in 7mm Mag (killed more deer than any other of my rifle) “Jezebel”

Sounds like a bargain back in 1996. I would be interested in bidding on this item - 7x57 - I hope it’s on Gun Broker!

Just daydreaming a bit here: do you think who ever does purchase this rifle should never shoot it and just hold as investment?

Also, and this may seem silly: Do you believe that due to its “Holy Grail” status, the 7x57 Mannlicher should be given a name? Like “Gail” or Mother Mary ect?

Regarding the question about shooting it or not. Do whichever you enjoy, but don't plan on making any money as an investment. Lets be honest, if you paid $800 for some Sako 20 years ago, don't shoot it, and now its worth $1600....have you cut a fat hog? I don't think so, you may have kept up with inflation though.

If you like to name your toys, by all means name it.

Well, if I wind up with the rifle in question, I've got a box of ammo all ready for it. I am a collector/shooter, and I buy guns with the intention of shooting them. There are several guns in my collection that have never been fired, but that's just because I haven't gotten around to shooting them. I'm skeptical that leaving a hunting rifle, even a nice collectible one like a rare Sako, unfired really adds all that much value as opposed to a gun that is well kept and fired occasionally.

The one area I know where unfired is a big deal is the Colt SAA. Collectors make a big thing of guns with no turn marks on the cylinder. I'll take one that's been fired for a few hundred less, thank you very much. I guess an unfired pre-64 Model 70 would also fetch a sizable premium, but that's one of the reasons I don't collect the Model 70.

Whoever gets it I hope you save enough in your budget to buy a $300 front sight Hood from the custom shop...;)

Whoever gets it I hope you save enough in your budget to buy a $300 front sight Hood from the custom shop...;)

If it is an AV, it probably takes a cheap Williams sight hood. The AIII and AV Mannlichers typically had Williams front and rear sights, for instance my AIII in .30-06. The earlier rifles based on the L61R action had the older-style setup with no rear sight and the Sako front sight and hood.

I might even have an extra Williams hood in my junk box.

When I see a rifle advertised as "unfired" I take it with a grain of salt. I know someone fired it at the factory -- at least they better have. Sako used to advertise that it fired all of its rifles with a proof load at 60,000 CUP - probably in the area of 70,000+ PSI using today's piezo-electric pressure machines. And the fine Kimber of Oregon rifles came with a three-shot proof target.

In the end, it is impossible to tell whether a gun has never had another cartridge in the chamber or if someone has put a half-box down the tube checking out how it shoots. The condition of a gun speaks for itself.

When I see a rifle advertised as "unfired" I take it with a grain of salt. I know someone fired it at the factory -- at least they better have. Sako used to advertise that it fired all of its rifles with a proof load at 60,000 CUP - probably in the area of 70,000+ PSI using today's piezo-electric pressure machines. And the fine Kimber of Oregon rifles came with a three-shot proof target.

In the end, it is impossible to tell whether a gun has never had another cartridge in the chamber or if someone has put a half-box down the tube checking out how it shoots. The condition of a gun speaks for itself.

Amen, Brother.

I learned that my facebook link may not work. Here is a pic of of the Cabela's AV 7x57 fullstock carbine. It may or may not be the same gun as in this thread. Both in Tx, If I were a betting man... FB_IMG_1548988579051.jpg

any update on the:

7x57 Finnbear Mannlicher
I talked to the dealer this weekend. He says he is going to put it up on Gunbroker, probably starting this Sunday. He says "no reserve -- high bid gets it, period."

I'll post a link to it whenever it goes up.

Latest posts

Back