Whoa! 7x57 Finnbear Mannlicher

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by stonecreek, Jan 22, 2019.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    DSC01583 (1280x724) - Copy.jpg

How many box labels have you seen marked with this caliber? Yeah, me too.

I'm told that the box and the Mannlicher inside it will be coming on the market in a few weeks and that the rifle is in mint condition. Since I've just recently "grabbed" several "bargains" in Sakos that were too good to pass up, my gun-purchasing funds are overdrawn and I'm not going to be a player on this one, but I'm curious as to what it will bring.

2. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    "Coming on the market?" Gunbroker, auction house, dealer? Not sure I want to spend what something like that will probably go for, but on the other hand you only live once. I'm interested. Of course, it might go for more than it would cost to build one on one of the L61R actions at the back of my safe.

3. Paul B.

Paul B. Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Very cool! Would this qualify as an A-series "Holy Grail"?

4. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Did you have to show this Stone? My guess it will be going high because of scarcity regardless of condition.
    It will be more desirable for a shooter than a 7x57R if the condition is marginal.

5. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Holier than a mere grail.

Paul B. likes this.
  6. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yeah, I think this one qualifies as pretty "grail-ey". If you had asked me if Sako ever made a 7x57 Mannlicher I would have said "No, but you can never say 'never' about Sako."

The gun is in the process of transfer between its long-time owner and the dealer he sold it to. I'm not at liberty to disclose anything until the transfer has been completed and the dealer is ready to put it on the market, but he will let me know when that happens. I don't know whether the dealer will put it up on an auction or otherwise.

7. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Thanks. I will be waiting with great anticipation for the word on where and how it will be sold.

8. texgun

texgun Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    That rifle may cost more than my car did.

9. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Cabela's sold one from their Gun Library within the past year and I want to say it was 1725-1750 USD, somewhere in that area. Good luck.

10. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Gowyo was the Cabela's rifle a Mannlicher in the same caliber, AV action, and vintage, as this one coming up for sale?

11. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  12. sakojim

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    stonecreek.
    I am more than a bit curious about this 7x57 rifle so I searched for the old SCA literature that I have. I found many interesting things. The following may be of interest to you. It is quoted verbatim from Page 4 of issue No. 5 of the Sako Collectors (Association) News:

"A number of you have called the office, re: the Brazas Arms offering of Sako actions. I spoke with Stoeger Marketing directer and told me that these were a close out of all the left over parts from the Sako/Colts, Sako/H&R, Sako/Marlin, etc. That is why most are the round top receivers. You might call it a house cleaning project by Sako/Finland.
    As for the 7x57 barrelled actions offered by Brazas -- these were left over from Garcia days. Stoeger took over import of Sako in 1976 and has not imported any 7x57."

This may support the scarcity of this "Holy Grail' of Sako lineage. My theory is that this piece may have been a presentation special order for one of the original SCA members that had such good relations with Sako/Finland personnel. Just my speculation but after reading some of the literature I am sure that the original SCA had an influence on the Sako rifle designs (factory buyers questionnaire with results) and achieved a distributors discount for their members plus the Custom Shop privileges. (Lost the discount later because of distributor complaints due to member abuse.) The literature that I have is very interesting and certainly explains a lot about the Sako legacy. it even includes some of the correspondence between the SCA and the factory personnel.
    I also have dozens of pictures of Sako production and experimental rifles including one of a cutaway model L61r .264 cal. I bought a commemorative set many years ago and received this literature that was from the original club. I thought that this might be of interest to you. Does any one else have any of this Sako historical literature? Sakojim.

13. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Interesting! I am thinking that this is probably a personal bring back from Europe, perhaps by a military member. I have two rifles with no importer markings, both bought at a US base px in Germany. (Not by me) I hope we find out!

14. sakojim

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    After closer exam, I find that we may never know how many of these one of a kind Sako rifles exist. I have what appears to be a sales listing of 155 Sako firearms, but it could also be a listing from the Sako Factory to the old SCA. Just pictures and descriptions with no designated source. Included are several hand guns and one shot gun. All except one have pictures, serial numbers and descriptions. Many are special builds by the factory as prototypes. Many are also custom builds and some list for whom built. Also many are described as 1 of x many produced for special orders. Several are one of a kind. Several special order series. One VL 63 in .08 Win.- One L61r Model 74 Mannlicher .375 - 1 of 1.- 1 L61r Sporting rifle 7x57 1 of 25.- 1 AV Mannlicher Carbine 7x57 1 of 1. I wonder if any one else on this collectors forum has the complete listing or can add to this list. Sakojim.

15. douglastwo

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Sakojim, sounds like you have a list of the sakos offered in the 1996 Rock Island auction catalog. If so, lots of interesting rifles in that group!

16. sakojim

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Sure would like to see the complete list. Did not realize that there are that many rare Sakos built to order. Sakojim.

17. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Douglastwo was kind enough to send me a scan of the 1996 Rock Island Auction catalog which had a 7x57 Mannlicher in it. Lo and Behold! The serial number of the Rock Island gun and the 7x57 Mannlicher the dealer has obtained are the same. Here is the Rock Island description of the rifle:

"7x57 cal. serial number 604427, 19 1/2" round bbl, blue finish. Mannlicher style stock. In original box, number to carbine, with documentation. Box is in excellent plus condition. Special order. One of one manufactured for R. Sylvester on A-V action. Very rare. Condition: New in box. Estimate $1700 - $2700.

I talked to the dealer on Saturday and he told me that he was leaning toward listing it on Gunbroker with a penny start and no reserve. He said he was busy with store inventory/tax time, etc., so it would be at least a couple of weeks before he lists it.

Hillcountry likes this.
  18. Hillcountry

Hillcountry Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    I’m fairly new to Sako Collecting - so in 1996 the estimate value of this “one of a kind” Sako was $1,700 - $2,700. Any guess what it will fetch today?

19. douglastwo

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I’m fairly new to Sako Collecting - so in 1996 the estimate value of this “one of a kind” Sako was $1,700 - $2,700. Any guess what it will fetch today?

The rifle didn't reach the estimated price. It sold for $661 back in 96. Guessing what it will bring today is exactly that....a guess. It's just too rare to have a track record of sales.

20. Hillcountry

Hillcountry Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Sounds like a bargain back in 1996. I would be interested in bidding on this item - 7x57 - I hope it’s on Gun Broker!

Just daydreaming a bit here: do you think who ever does purchase this rifle should never shoot it and just hold as investment?

Also, and this may seem silly: Do you believe that due to its “Holy Grail” status, the 7x57 Mannlicher should be given a name? Like “Gail” or Mother Mary ect?