• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

My West Virginia 22 Hornet Find

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Here is the Ruger No. 1 in 219.

Sorry about the incorrect info on the scope. I confused this one with a .225 Heavy, The correct scope info is as follows: Gun is in terrific shape and has a 10x Spot-Shot R.A. Litschert scope on it.

Four digit serial number puts in in the first year production category.

Based on the history that I have I believe Bill Ruger built this as a favor for one of his close friends.

rick
All I can say is WOW. I've never seen anything quite like it. Kind of makes me wish I'd bought the No. 1A in 7x57 I saw at the gun show today.

Hi Ice

Actually you can make it from 30-30 without much difficulty. In addition, there are a number of sources for 219 brass and loaded rounds. For example: Reed's has 20 rounds for $32. They are loaded with 50gr VMax. Buffalo also has them for $54.29. Big difference in price so shop around.

One final note, I also have a 219 rimless Wasp built on a SS Savage Model 12. Finding info on that 219 variant is next to impossible. That said it uses the same loads as the 30-30 rimmed version that is considered to be the standard.

rick

Just a couple of final notes on the 219s'

The High Wall I won on Proxibid. It did not have a scope when I got it. I won the Unertl on Ebay and went through agony trying to find blocks that would work on it. The darn thing weights a ton. I need the 20 mule team just to get it the range.

The Ruger came as advertised. I paid a lot for it but I was determined to win the auction. GB strikes again!

As for the 219 rimless I fell into a bucket of pig droppings and came out smelling like a rose. Seems there was a BIN on GB for a bunch of 219 components. Dies, brass, barrel, bolt head, chamber reamer just all sorts of stuff. BIN was $400 and bid was only $200 when I found it. Needless to say I stepped up.

After the stuff was delivered and I finally got around to looking at everything I realized that the 219 stuff I got was rimless. The stainless barrel and bolt head were for the Savage Model 12. Back to GB I picked up a used one for a song and my gunsmith friend changed out the bolt face, installed the barrel and spacer and head spaced the rig. So not including the SS scope I put on it I guess I got $1200 in the whole deal. If you want pics of it you will have to wait a few weeks. I also owe the group pics of my PPCs' and other stuff including the grail rifle I just got. L579 in 220 Swift! Holy 220 Batman. Not bad for an old guy!

rick

Hi Ice

Actually you can make it from 30-30 without much difficulty. In addition, there are a number of sources for 219 brass and loaded rounds. For example: Reed's has 20 rounds for $32. They are loaded with 50gr VMax. Buffalo also has them for $54.29. Big difference in price so shop around.

One final note, I also have a 219 rimless Wasp built on a SS Savage Model 12. Finding info on that 219 variant is next to impossible. That said it uses the same loads as the 30-30 rimmed version that is considered to be the standard.

rick
IIRC, the rimless version is based on the 25 Remington case & is a little shorter. There are also two versions of the rimmed Donaldson. The one from the 1960's was based on measuring the case OAL from the front of the rim instead of the back of the rim, so it differs from the original Donaldson by being .063" (which is the rim thickness) longer. At least that's the story I got from some benchrest shooters from back in the day! I do know that both rimmed versions exist & one must be careful about using the correct brass length to match your chamber. BTW, nice rifles, Rick!!

Hi Paul

My SS Savage Model 12 is based on the 30 Remington case not the 25 Remington. So it is a bit larger. Here is the link to the post that I started over on the Shooters Forum and the discussion that follows.

https://www.shootersforum.com/wildcat-cartridges/156385-219-donaldson-wasp-30-rem-variant.html

Just as there are variants with the rimmed version there are also at least two variations of the rimless version that I know of. As Paul mentioned, there is the 219 rimless based on the 25 Rem and the one that I have which is the rimless variation that is based on the 30 Rem.

Lots of interesting stuff out there if you have the time a patience to research this stuff.

My worry is that all of this is eventually just going to blow away because there aren't younger people coming up the line that have a remote interest in these great old time calibers and the rifles that were built to shoot them.

Rick

Last edited:
Hi Paul

My SS Savage Model 12 is based on the 30 Remington case not the 25 Remington. So it is a bit larger. Here is the link to the post that I started over on the Shooters Forum and the discussion that follows.

https://www.shootersforum.com/wildcat-cartridges/156385-219-donaldson-wasp-30-rem-variant.html

Just as there are variants with the rimmed version there are also at least two variations of the rimless version that I know of. As Paul mentioned, there is the 219 rimless based on the 25 Rem and the one that I have which is the rimless variation that is based on the 30 Rem.

Lots of interesting stuff out there if you have the time a patience to research this stuff.

My worry is that all of this is eventually just going to blow away because there aren't younger people coming up the line that have a remote interest in these great old time calibers and the rifles that were built to shoot them.

Rick

Most of the wildcat activity today seems to be with the small calibers, but most of the people doing it are over 50. The 20 cals have been the hot ones lately. James Calhoon in Montana is the only "commercial" wildcatter I am aware of. His 19 calibers (.198") are phenomenal performers & anyone interested in PD or other varmint shooting owes themselves at least a look. He sells the loaded ammo as well so you don't even need to be a reloader to enjoy his wildcats!!

I like everything about that rifle. What years did Sako make them?
The Sako L-46 was made from 1946 to 1961 when it was superseded by the L461. However, the factory continued to build and ship a few all the way up into the mid-1960's. The vast majority of L-46's after 1950 were chambered for .222 Remington.

Latest posts

Back