• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Info on full stock L46 in .222 Remington

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Beagleye

I have been a niche collector staying with CZ/BRNOs and S&Ws, so I know very little about Sakos or this gun, beyond "Finland and Riihimaki". I think I may have had one other Sako many many years ago, a quirky 308, I want to say model 55?? It was kind of clunky, not like this. I have had this for 10 years +/-, never shot it, got it for $1400ish if memory serves at a pawn shop in Asheville , NC. It is so beautiful. It seemed like a good price compared to similar BRNOs, which in pristine condition would have been closer to $2000 10 years ago, maybe more now. It appears pristine. No sign of use and almost no handling marks. Things I am wondering-

> How old?
> Is that peep sight likely original (seems to be, no rear sight, I see others online with same)?
> Are the magazines obtainable, or crazy expensive like some old BRNO mags? (I only have one)
> Is this the base model? (some have the embellishments on the trigger guard)
> Is the full stock less or more common?
> General value range?

IMG_8512.JPG IMG_8513.JPG IMG_8514.JPG IMG_8515.JPG IMG_8516.JPG IMG_8517.JPG IMG_8518.JPG

Beautiful rifle!
Excellent condition too…should bring a bit more than you paid.
It’s a model 4 type L46 Rifle. The full stock (Sako calls their Mannlicher stock) in this model is not necessarily rare but is highly sought after. Mid ‘50s would be my guess on its age.
The peep sight is factory made and probably original to the rifle
Magazines are out there but can be pricey.
Regarding your rifles appearance and condition…definitely a 9 out of 10 (with bonus points)

What Bloo said. However, please be aware that there is no "official" designation of your rifle as a "model 4 type L46". There were a number of small variations during the years the Sako L46 was produced (from 1946 until 1961, although some continued coming from the factory until 1967). These have been grouped by Sako enthusiasts into several different "models", even though some features varied within these unofficial groupings. No one advertises for sale a "Model 3 Sako L46", but someone highly familiar with Sakos might place a particular rifle in that group.

Your full-stock rifle was made with stamped bottom metal prior to the introduction of the L46's forged bottom metal around 1957 or so. Take note that Sako "changeovers" were never a bright line and some "old" components were still being used even after a "new" component was introduced. If you want to know its date of inspection and when and to whom it was shipped from the factory you can order that information by clicking on the "Factory Records" link at the top of this page.

Used firearms values are very subjective, so it is impossible to say what it might bring on the open market. If you paid $1,400 for it in 2014 then it would need to bring about $1,850 today to equate to the same money. Whether you could turn any actual profit on a sale is questionable, but that doesn't diminish the fact that it is a beautiful example of a fine rifle, the likes of which will likely never be available again.

The L46 was also chambered in .22 Hornet, .218 Bee, .25-20, 7x33 Sako, and a very few in .32-20. However, there were likely 10 times as many made in .222 Remington than all of the rest put together, thus any of the other calibers bring a rarity premium. The L46 was modified internally to accept a longer magazine and was chambered for the .222 Magnum; rifles in that caliber were officially designated L469, but many of them were stamped L46.

The L46 was supplanted by the updated L461 with an internal magazine and trigger safety, introduced in 1961.

Thanks for the cool info folks.

Would that sight number to the gun if it is original to the gun or are the sights unnumbered? If so where will the number be found?

Thanks for the cool info folks.

Would that sight number to the gun if it is original to the gun or are the sights unnumbered? If so where will the number be found?
The sights were sold separately from the guns and as far as I know were not numbered. There is no way to be sure if the sight is original to the rifle, but the peep sight was popular when the gun was built in the 1950's, and many purchasers installed them on new rifles.

The sights were sold separately from the guns and as far as I know were not numbered. There is no way to be sure if the sight is original to the rifle, but the peep sight was popular when the gun was built in the 1950's, and many purchasers installed them on new rifles.
IMG_4625.jpeg
This 1953 FI ad seems to suggest that the peep was included…just saying
The Armstrong mount system..that set up looks familiar..Icebear?

Yes, it looks like FI packaged the sight with the rifle. To the best of my knowledge, they left the factory as separate items, but it's also possible that Sako did at one time sell the rifle and the rear sight as a package. I have some old Finnish ads in one of my reference books; I'll look and see if I see anything about a factory package.

As for the Armstrong scope mount, I've heard of it but I don't remember anything about it. The image is too small to be useful.

As for the Armstrong scope mount, I've heard of it but I don't remember anything about it. The image is too small to be useful.
I remember seeing a similar arrangement on one of your rifles featured here in the past. With turrets ahead of the rings instead of between.

According to the FI Catalog for 1951/52, the peep sight was included with the rifle, and it was even included with the barreled action.
View attachment 34745
View attachment 34744
Thanks D2 for the additional catalog info!
It’s always great to real in the years to these old guns

I’m probably mistaken but the Armstrong mounts appear to be what are referred to as the early Sako one piece rings that require the scope to be disassembled (non-gas filled) to install.? Which is exactly what Icebear shows on his L46?🤔

’m probably mistaken but the Armstrong mounts appear to be what are referred to as the early Sako one piece rings that require the scope to be disassembled (non-gas filled) to install.? Which is exactly what Icebear shows on his L46?🤔
I examined the rings on the L46 and did not find any markings at all - No Sako, no Finland, no size. I did not remove the scope so I don't know if there are any markings on the bottom of the rings.

I have one more rifle with that type of rings (photo). I will take a close look at the rings to see if there are any markings.
Info on full stock L46 in .222 Remington

Incidentally, those old rings didn't come in low, medium, high. There were spacers you could add to raise the rings above the receiver.

The old ads are awesome and say a lot about the times. "Bull Gun Accuracy in a 6 1/2# Gun" Bold claim. I guess that term has somewhat fallen off. I don't remember hearing that.

Also interesting they were calling it a short action Mauser.

For 6 bucks more you could buy the Mannlicher stocked version…those were the days!
That price is equal to over $1500 today.
Of course, you can't buy a brand new one in the box, but the price (or value) of a pristine one hasn't changed much over the years. This seems consistent with most firearms -- if cared for they hold their value through the years. Only rare or niche firearms tend to appreciate faster than inflation, and that can be fickle depending on fads in the market.

Just like the re-run episodes of Antiques Roadshow where they show "today's" value estimate compared to when the show was originally filmed, there's about as much chance that a collector item has decreased in value as increased over the intervening years.

I marvel at the current market in firearms where a very pedestrian Marlin will sell for triple its price a few years ago if it has the original JM mark. I see asking (and even selling) prices for mundane Marlin 336's at $1,000 and more. And why would the one of the millions of Winchester 94's, even the disparaged post-64 models, bring double their price from three years ago? At the same time, the selling prices of nice used Sakos (in common calibers) have hardly budged in the last few years, with run-of-the-mill Remingtons selling close to the level of Sakos. Go figure?

Back