My West Virginia 22 Hornet Find

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Rocky, Sep 6, 2019.

1. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    All I can say is WOW. I've never seen anything quite like it. Kind of makes me wish I'd bought the No. 1A in 7x57 I saw at the gun show today.

Andy Kessner likes this.

2. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Here are the other two pics I forgot to post...

219.jpg

Glad you are sitting down. Here is the SN...…….

1774.jpg

Rick

Andy Kessner likes this.
  3. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Is there a source for Wasp brass, or do you have to make it?

4. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi Ice

Actually you can make it from 30-30 without much difficulty. In addition, there are a number of sources for 219 brass and loaded rounds. For example: Reed's has 20 rounds for $32. They are loaded with 50gr VMax. Buffalo also has them for $54.29. Big difference in price so shop around.

One final note, I also have a 219 rimless Wasp built on a SS Savage Model 12. Finding info on that 219 variant is next to impossible. That said it uses the same loads as the 30-30 rimmed version that is considered to be the standard.

rick

5. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Just a couple of final notes on the 219s'

The High Wall I won on Proxibid. It did not have a scope when I got it. I won the Unertl on Ebay and went through agony trying to find blocks that would work on it. The darn thing weights a ton. I need the 20 mule team just to get it the range.

The Ruger came as advertised. I paid a lot for it but I was determined to win the auction. GB strikes again!

As for the 219 rimless I fell into a bucket of pig droppings and came out smelling like a rose. Seems there was a BIN on GB for a bunch of 219 components. Dies, brass, barrel, bolt head, chamber reamer just all sorts of stuff. BIN was $400 and bid was only $200 when I found it. Needless to say I stepped up.

After the stuff was delivered and I finally got around to looking at everything I realized that the 219 stuff I got was rimless. The stainless barrel and bolt head were for the Savage Model 12. Back to GB I picked up a used one for a song and my gunsmith friend changed out the bolt face, installed the barrel and spacer and head spaced the rig. So not including the SS scope I put on it I guess I got $1200 in the whole deal. If you want pics of it you will have to wait a few weeks. I also owe the group pics of my PPCs' and other stuff including the grail rifle I just got. L579 in 220 Swift! Holy 220 Batman. Not bad for an old guy!

rick

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    IIRC, the rimless version is based on the 25 Remington case & is a little shorter. There are also two versions of the rimmed Donaldson. The one from the 1960's was based on measuring the case OAL from the front of the rim instead of the back of the rim, so it differs from the original Donaldson by being .063" (which is the rim thickness) longer. At least that's the story I got from some benchrest shooters from back in the day! I do know that both rimmed versions exist & one must be careful about using the correct brass length to match your chamber. BTW, nice rifles, Rick!!

7. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi Paul

My SS Savage Model 12 is based on the 30 Remington case not the 25 Remington. So it is a bit larger. Here is the link to the post that I started over on the Shooters Forum and the discussion that follows.

https://www.shootersforum.com/wildcat-cartridges/156385-219-donaldson-wasp-30-rem-variant.html

Just as there are variants with the rimmed version there are also at least two variations of the rimless version that I know of. As Paul mentioned, there is the 219 rimless based on the 25 Rem and the one that I have which is the rimless variation that is based on the 30 Rem.

Lots of interesting stuff out there if you have the time a patience to research this stuff.

My worry is that all of this is eventually just going to blow away because there aren't younger people coming up the line that have a remote interest in these great old time calibers and the rifles that were built to shoot them.

Rick

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  8. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Most of the wildcat activity today seems to be with the small calibers, but most of the people doing it are over 50. The 20 cals have been the hot ones lately. James Calhoon in Montana is the only "commercial" wildcatter I am aware of. His 19 calibers (.198") are phenomenal performers & anyone interested in PD or other varmint shooting owes themselves at least a look. He sells the loaded ammo as well so you don't even need to be a reloader to enjoy his wildcats!!

9. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
  10. CamAIII

CamAIII Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa