• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

I think I found a rare one. L461 Single Shot 17-222 Custom

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Thanks Ohio. That is very cool. Also very difficult to machine those square corners. Serial numbers matched the new feed ramp to the receiver. I wonder if the number is any indication of just how many Sako produced?

rick

Yep.........that's it.

As for the bottom opening, that's filled by the pinned block,......I can easily see where it was a portion of the original receiver forging design layout. A subsequent machining operation could create a standard opening for the magazine box......OR left as is, to be filled with a pinned-in block.

very interesting discussion.
have recently bought a sako L461 s/s, sight unseen. is chambered in an odd wildcat 222rem /45, thats is 45 deg shoulder ! will be a few weeks before i pick it up.
cant wait to see what secrets it holds.
susanna

A friend put me onto this old thread and I hope you guys are still around as I picked up a single shot L461 without really knowing what it was. Mine is a 17/222 and though I have had it for a while I'v just started to work up some loads for it and get it tuned in. Mine has square corners on the Magazine blank and 161 stamped on both pieces. Mine has a standard L461 trigger as far as I can tell.

Welcome aboard Lyle!

I am sure that like me there will be a few others who are keen to see how the load development goes.

Marcus

Interesting, to say the least. Definitely a custom stock, probably the barrel as well. Most likely was built from a bare action, as single shot L461's are pretty rare. In fact, I've never seen one before. I had a factory-built Sako single shot once, but it was an AII, not an L461.

The name Marden was mentioned as the gunsmith from back in the day. Anyone know anything about this person? From the Sydney (Australia) area I believe.

As many of you already know I have a penchant for 17 Caliber rifles, especially anything Sako 17. So I found this little Sako 17-222 on GunBroker. It was advertised as an L46 17-222 so I hung in there and won the bid for a bit over $600. The rifle arrived yesterday and I was looking forward to unwrapping an L46 that was a 222 repurposed for the 17-222. To my surprise the little guy was not andL46. Instead it turned out to be a L461 single shot, custom jobberdo in 17-222.

As far as I know the L461 single shot receivers were basically only provided by Sako on special order and purchasers built custom rifles on them, in many cases the 17-222 was the preferred. wildcat. Here are some pics...

View attachment 13616 View attachment 13617 View attachment 13618 View attachment 13619 View attachment 13620 View attachment 13621

I removed the scope rings and mount and as you can see the dovetails a basically perfect with just the slight pressure mark on the front dovetail from the friction screw. I lucked out.

Now I have not had time to remove the barreled action from the stock to see if the receiver has been pinned but from my observation of it with the bolt withdrawn it is a solid base receive and a genuine single shot L461. I think my prize is worth well over what I paid but I didn't purchase it for the money. It was simply for the love of Sako rifles and to my surprise I ended up getting a real gem. I also have not figured out who did the stock work so I certainly have more research to do.

I have been trying to find info on the builder BROGNE but have not had much luck. The guy obviously built some fine custom guns because I have found a few references about guns he built but other than that I can't find anything else. So info on him will be prized for sure.

Your thoughts and comments as always are welcome and appreciated.

rick

PM Sent re Brogne

bill marden was super simplex
as well as gunsmithing of all sorts most done from his back yard in punchbowl sw sydney. later moved to a small factory unit in penshurst by which time bill marden jnr was involved.
bill jnr still makes simplex reloading equipment to this day from a small factory unit in conndell pk
built a lot of br rifles in the early days .
still plenty of rifles around with his initials stamped on the knox form
my 1st sako built by bill in the late 60;s

Maybe we should take a call to see how many are out there in members hands?
me 1x L57 in 243 - still shooting

me. x 2 L61 early 3 lug 264wm LB / L461 222rem mag HB. both aussie actions type s mag release striker hiding inside the bolt shroud. started life as an action only bolts have no serial number engraved. both still shooting

Maybe we should take a call to see how many are out there in members hands?
me 1x L57 in 243 - still shooting

Great idea - sadly I don't have any to contribute.

I wonder whether a dedicated thread might be warranted, with Marsdwn history, photos of the rifles and the barrel markings etc, history and photos of Simplex products, and I think Bill Snr may have been involved with the RTM bench test stocks as well. All unique Aussie stuff our fellow SCC members might find interesting.

Marcus

As many of you already know I have a penchant for 17 Caliber rifles, especially anything Sako 17. So I found this little Sako 17-222 on GunBroker. It was advertised as an L46 17-222 so I hung in there and won the bid for a bit over $600. The rifle arrived yesterday and I was looking forward to unwrapping an L46 that was a 222 repurposed for the 17-222. To my surprise the little guy was not andL46. Instead it turned out to be a L461 single shot, custom jobberdo in 17-222.

As far as I know the L461 single shot receivers were basically only provided by Sako on special order and purchasers built custom rifles on them, in many cases the 17-222 was the preferred. wildcat. Here are some pics...

View attachment 13616 View attachment 13617 View attachment 13618 View attachment 13619 View attachment 13620 View attachment 13621

I removed the scope rings and mount and as you can see the dovetails a basically perfect with just the slight pressure mark on the front dovetail from the friction screw. I lucked out.

Now I have not had time to remove the barreled action from the stock to see if the receiver has been pinned but from my observation of it with the bolt withdrawn it is a solid base receive and a genuine single shot L461. I think my prize is worth well over what I paid but I didn't purchase it for the money. It was simply for the love of Sako rifles and to my surprise I ended up getting a real gem. I also have not figured out who did the stock work so I certainly have more research to do.

I have been trying to find info on the builder BROGNE but have not had much luck. The guy obviously built some fine custom guns because I have found a few references about guns he built but other than that I can't find anything else. So info on him will be prized for sure.

Your thoughts and comments as always are welcome and appreciated.

rick
Brogne .17-222 , HI Rick I might have info , mabe that specific riffle, I'm hoping. I'm not to good at typing, this would have been over 40+ yrs ago, I got a .17-222 from R. Brogne around the time the .17-223 went into production. I've searched yrs for it after giving my collection up due to hard times. Hopefully we can talk.

I would appreciate an opportunity to speak with you about the Brogne rifle. Send me a PM with your phone number so I can give you a call and we can chat.

rick

I can't find where I can PM you
In the upper right-hand corner of the page, there is a box with your screen name. Above the box, click on "Inbox," then "Start a New Conversation." It's not intuitive; frankly, it's lousy page design but it is what it is.

Latest posts

Back