I think I found a rare one. L461 Single Shot 17-222 Custom

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by ricksengines, Mar 16, 2018.

1. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    In all the years I've participated on this forum this is the first time I've witnessed profanity used. If that's the only way you can express yourself, maybe you should find another venue.

L61R likes this.

2. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Exactly! One time is one time. Two times is one time too many.

Jim

3. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    Resized_20180501_154023.jpeg Resized_20180501_154036.jpeg Resized_20180501_154141.jpeg Resized_20180501_154119.jpeg I was at the local gun store today and as the guy behind the counter sees me he says "being a Sako guy you might like this". Reaches behind him and shows me a L461 single shot with a highly polished sporter 223 barrel with a walnut thumbhole stock. Obvious to me it was custom but it was real nice. So nice i gave it back him immediately as i wasnt there to buy a rifle. I should have taken a pic and will do next week. Good thing i dont fancy thumbhole stocks or it most likely came home with me.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  4. Northern

Northern Member

Country Flag:
    Norway
    State/Region:
    other
    I have two Sako Single shot actions.

AI and AII.
    They have a solid bottom, not pinned in, and both come with the Target trigger. Both set insanely light.
    They do however, have a third action screw, in the middle of the loading port.
    Not sure if that was standard or some bench rester decided to modify it. Anybody know?

A few years ago, I almost bought a Sako AIII or AV? single shot action, with magnum face.. regret it now, but it did not have the target trigger or the integral recoil lug, but rather the loose "L" bracket design.

5. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    The ‘L691’ had the non integral L shaped recoil lug. Perhaps it was that model ?

6. deersako

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Hard to find a custom gun I like, especially with a thumb hole stock,but I certainly like that one.

7. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi Folks

I owe everyone an apology as I have not posted the pics of the single shot receiver and the four PPC Sakos that I said I would. Been pretty busy raising the two chocolate lab pups we rescued and am still nursing a full knee replacement jobberdo so its been nary impossible to get to the safe and pull the rifles for photographs. When my daughter comes in off the road I'll ask her to give me a hand fetching them and taking pics so I can post. I'm sure for most it will be worth the wait.

In the mean time if you haven't ever seen a near perfect L46 in Hornet I just snagged one and will photo it at the same time. What a luck out as something like this only comes along once in a lifetime and I just happened to be there and was lucky enough to win the auction. Went down while I was in the hospital recovering from the surgery and was really excited when I won the thing.

Thanks for the patience

Rick

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  8. deersako

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Looking forward to the pics Rick.

9. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Yep I am well intended but gimpin around here on one leg and the pups has cramped my style. Things are piling up in the shop including a 14 Walker chamber job that I have to complete. Well anyway I always enjoy reading the various posts that newbies and old hands alike contribute to the forum.

The pups are growing up quickly and are now almost six months old. They are smart as whips and keep Sharon and I on our toes. Actually, its nice to have dogs around the house after we lost our last rescue. We debated not doing another rescue because of our age but just couldn't stand how quiet the house was with no big dogs around to fill it and our hearts.

Just hang in there as the Hornet is really outstanding. I got really lucky and paid about half of what I think it is worth on the auction.

rick

10. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I wanted to take some time to finish up this thread. I'm getting around pretty good after the knee replacement and I had time to get to the shop and pull out that little L461 single shot that I came across. So the question that remains to be answered is did Sako pin bottom metal into the receiver to convert it to single shot? The answer is a definitive yes. Check out the pics and I do apologize for taking so long to get to this. I still have to pull the four PPC rifles and take pics of them and I will get to that next week.

P6280342.JPG
    P6280343.JPG

Here you can see the very fine workmanship that went into Sako converting the little L461 into a single shot rifle. In the first pic you can see the pins and the fact that the were smoothed to the receiver and blued. The second pic shows the filler block and the very close fit that Sako developed to make it integral with the base of the receiver.

Again sorry that this took so long to get done.

Questions and comments as always are very much appreciated.

rick

11. deersako

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Nice Rick, thanks for taking the time.

12. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    deersako
    It is in very good condition. Someone put their love into it.
    Chris

13. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Sako wasted a lot of time and effort pinning the "single shot" plate to the bottom of the receiver & machining everything so precisely. It added nothing to the rigidity of the action that it would have had if the magazine opening not been machined out. All it does is make single shot feeding less troublesome & add unnecessarily to the cost. I did the same thing to my AI Varmint by putting a Score High single shot follower on top of the factory follower for $10.95. Feeds like a dream in single shot mode. I have an old 112J Savage from the late 70's that is a true single shot action with no magazine cut out. Super rigid & super accurate. It's on it's third barrel in a third caliber & has been the most accurate action I have ever owned, including all the Sakos. The Sako single shots are very nice rifles, but to think that the pinned in single shot plate added to it's accuracy & is something to expound on as a great feature is more fantasy than reality. If it had a solid bottom it may have seen some use in the benchrest world, but alas it never found a following. IMHO, the "pinned in" plate is not Sako's best moment, but more an afterthought.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  14. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi Paul

Many thanks for your comments. I don't disagree about the added cost and the fact that this added nothing to the rigidity of the receiver. But, keep in mind that we are talking about Sako perfection and the fact that so far only three have been found and documented so far. Also, the pinned version that Kevin posted pics of wasn't done as neatly as the one that I have. Comparing the two pics of the pins I'm wondering why Sako wouldn't have done as neat of a job on the one that Kevin has as compared to mine. Oh well, Guess we will never know.

Yahoo

rick

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  15. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Something's different about this one.

The factory single-shots with a pinned block, that I've seen......the bottom of the block's outline is smaller than your picture and is perfectly rectangular(no rounded corners). The bottom of the block is also numbered/stamped.

Is it possible that this is a factory repeater action, which someone has "filled" with a fitted block, and cross-pinned?

But then.......how to explain what seems to be factory single-shot bottom metal???

16. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi Kevin

Thanks very much for responding. Looking at the pic of the filler block you can see rounded corners. That would indicate that the space was machined with a end mill. But, that doesn't explain the curve on the front of the block. That was harder to do in terms of machining out the bottom of the receiver and the filler piece had (and was) machined to match in addition to the very fine work done on the pin placement and machining them to be flush with the side of the receiver. Then there is the blue job.

I can't imagine someone turning an L461 into a single shot action but I have seen crazier things done to fine rifles over the years. If that actually happened where in the heck did the solid bottom metal come from?

I'm concluding that this is indeed an original factory single shot receiver because there simply isn't enough evidence to conclude otherwise. Having a few more examples would certainly help to nail this down but so far they appear to be scarce as hens teeth.

rick

17. ohiowayne

ohiowayne Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    I also have a L461 with the pinned block and the block is smaller and no rounded front. This is a custom 17 Rem.

18. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi Ohio

So you have number four. How about posting some pics of it so we can compare the way the receivers were machined to allow for the block to be inserted and pinned in place.

rick

19. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Or.......conversely.......perhaps a factory L461 pinned-block single-shot action was modified to be a repeater(blind magazine) and, at some later time, re-converted back to a single-shot.

If memory correctly serves.......older editions of Gun Digest showed examples of pinned-block actions.

BTW.....make it at least five.....as member cmjr has had at least one pinned-block L461 action/rifle.

20. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Wonderful. Ccunt is up to five. I hope everyone can post pics of the receivers and the bottom of the filler block so we can compare the variances.

rick