• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako scope mounts - pictorial

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

That's curious. I've never seen Sako misspell "Forester" on anything.

Are these mounts not essentially the same design as "Optilocks"?

Sort of, but to me it looks like the base has a post and the rings fit over the post and are secured with 2 set screws. The Optilocks have a screw through the base that threads into the rings. Hard to tell for sure with the picture quality.

indeed these will be late hillver / early tasco have a look at the photo of the green hillver box post from a few days back, box is exactly the same style, my photo only shows the base & box, the rings where supplied in the same style box as this blue sako box
not sure who the sako importer was here in aust but will say winchester about the time these where made.
sako mounts would have been imported but these would have been 1/3 the price.
nothing like optilocks, as they used the clipped in stud optilock rings use a screw the hold each ring as we know. tasco hillver never did us plastic inserts.

L46 , didnt relise the these where the same rings ! will retrieve the P54 from the safe & have a closer look. fitted to the rifle they just dont have the same look.
your spot on about the early ausinell mts, wonder where they all went ?
sold a much later ausinell bridge a few months back, totally different, wished a had kept a photo of it now.

Found these photos on a site in the UK - Swedemounts. I have never heard of them. For what it is worth the site said the dated from the 50's or 60's. To my eye they look fairly ugly and chunky.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Marcus

Browning Safari L579 roundtop action with .500" rear hole spacing and .750" front hole spacing . I have one and after a lot of trial and error over a couple of years, I thought I'd post pics of bases that fit. The Redfield base has the most mis-information on the internet about the correct model #. For the above configuration, it's JR BG 511144! The aluminum Weaver bases are #71 and #72. I just discovered that Numrich has the nice Weaver Grand Slam steel bases, #S71 and #S72 in stock. You also have Buehlers (earlier pic in thread) and Conetrols. Again, these bases work with the above hole spacing. You'll need to check your rifle as some BS L579 RT's were produced with .860" front hole spacing.

The QD ringmounts were sold the other day through a shooters/hunters forum. Missed them by a few hours. Asking price? ~$15...

They look like Hillver posted earlier in this thread, but in the QD variant. Not sure that it's true, though, as there were no markings according to the seller.

/cmk

Note: I could not bother to crop the pic to remove the Leupolds.

Attachments

• sako-hillver-qd.jpeg
    sako-hillver-qd.jpeg
    17 KB · Views: 24
Hello Sako Folk,

Does any one have any photo's of the Sako Vintage 22mm split scope mounts & rings? I have been looking for a pair for a very long time.

Blackjack

The only photo I've seen of them is rather blurry since Bigfoot was running off with them in his furry hand at the time the photo was snapped.:(

There is a Williams base to suit a Sako action advertised on eBay - never heard of these before. What does the brains trust know about them?

image.jpeg

Marcus

Hello Steve,

Much has happened since you saw Bigfoot { Sasquatch } running off with a pair of Sako 22mm Scope Mounts. I made my way to the USA and picked up the trail. After many cold and terrifying nights I caught sight of this monster. It was just getting dark, so I approached down wind to confront the beast. I noticed that Bigfoot had a large leather bag around his shoulder. I waited until the Moon came out, and carefully approached the beast who was propped up against a large rock. I heard snoring as I came within ten yards of him. The leather bag had flopped open as I came within touching distance of this massive Sasquatch creature. The smell was appalling, and I had to fight the feeling of vomiting.

I carefully slipped the leather bag strap off of the beasts shoulder, and pulled the bag clear. By this time my heart was in my mouth, and I could hear my heart pounding in my head. I very slowly backed away, and then ran for my life. The bag felt heavy, as I clutched It very tightly. After I had ran for about a mile, I slowed to a fast walking pace. It was an hour later that I heard the most blood curdling roar, and I new that Bigfoot would be hunting me. Oh if only I had my double barrel Holland & Holland Nitro Express .700 rifle!

I started running again towards the Hendersons house, who I hoped would give me shelter. I made It to the Hendersons who were In and very concerned for Bigfoot. I explained to them that Sasquatch had stolen valuable Sako parts eg Sako Scope Mounts, Magazines, Stocks and Receivers, and that a friend Stonecreek had seen him running off from Punchy Pete's Gun & Rifle shop. Later I contacted Punchy Pete and told him the story. He told me to keep the booty as a reward for taking the bag from Bigfoot. " You are one hell of a brave limey " he said. The Hendersons were appalled and said that they would scold and punish Bigfoot when he returned

I managed to get to the nearest town and after many weeks found my way back to the UK. To my delight the Sako split ring 22mm Scope Mounts were In the leather bag with other Sako treasures. I contacted the Hendersons who assured me that Sasquatch had been punished, and was feeling very sorry for him self. I will post photo's of the Sako split ring 22mm Scope Mounts, which are brand new in the makers box.

Blackjack

I don't suppose there was also a set of screw-on dovetail bases for a Finnwolf in Sasquatch's bag?

Good Morning Steve,

I tipped Bigfoots leather bag out on to our bed, but sadly no screw - on dovetail bases for a Finnwolf! I will however look out for those bases.

B J

pix476296695.jpg

Here is a photo I pirated off of Gunbroker of a set of nicely engraved Buehlers. I've seen the Buehlers for Sakos before, but not an engraved set. They are currently up for bids on Gunbroker (not my auction and I don't know the seller. I just thought they were interesting enough to post here.)

View attachment 9887

Here is a photo I pirated off of Gunbroker of a set of nicely engraved Buehlers. I've seen the Buehlers for Sakos before, but not an engraved set. They are currently up for bids on Gunbroker (not my auction and I don't know the seller. I just thought they were interesting enough to post here.)
Beuhler.....Beuhler....Beuhler... (Ferris, of course)

Don't forget all the picatinny options now. IOR in Romania has made 2pc and 1pc Sako bases for a while. The two pc an extended front.
NEAR mfg. makes wonderful bases as well. Possibly the finest in the world.
Some say picatinny bases don't have that classic look and I agree, but they way the rings attach and the ability to swap optics and have them about zeroed is a benefit to me. When I have time I will post some pics.
And the blue boxed Sako rings with the cones were called "r" series back in the day. They were just before the optilocks of today.

In addition, not only Ior and Near make fine scope rails for Sakos, Contessa makes a fine steel rail for pretty much all common sizes of the Sako dovetail.

d1cd5a43f7be81e4030813bd3b77684d.jpg

Also, read about them here on the Alan Rhone store in the UK (I am not affiliated).

My L461 will get one of these when I receive it.

Latest posts

Back