• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako scope mounts - pictorial

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

OK, these may take the cake for Sako mount obscurity. They're listed as Leupold Adjusto Sako mounts. The rings are both adjustable for windage. The bases are both adjustable for elevation. They were designed for Balvar non-adjustable scopes.

DH, yes the later version of the hillver
Tasco bridge, when they changed to the hex screws.
L-46

:). I'd certainly have a hard time trusting those mounts!
I bought a little L46 with a set of those on it and I would agree that they don't instill confidence in the design. Took me minutes to remove them and put the mounts that Sako made on the rifle and life was good again. I have never had a whimper of trouble from anything Leupold made but I wasn't taking a chance on those.-Misako

Marcus,
Great photo! Thanks for sharing
A classic Aussie Sako, Pecar 4-10x nestled in some period Hillvers
Would have been a fox shooters dream to own that set up.
Those mounts may even predate your A1 but they are still as good as the day they were made!
L-46

DS,
Agreed, They do look like early Tasco ones,
from what i understand, when the rings changed to a hex head, fixing they where tasco, i seem to remember the rings even being stamped lightly too.
L-46

:). I'd certainly have a hard time trusting those mounts!

I've never used any of the old Leupold Adjusto mounts, but our resident expert on O'brien-Sakos and H&R-Sakos, kevinlg has and tells me they work for him. While they were adaptable to the Bausch and Lomb Balvar series, they were actually made for Leupold's own non-adjustable scope series, I think called the Pioneer.

hi all.
followed this pictorial with much interest. lot of good work by you guys.
these hillver 2pce sako mounts where fitted to my L57 when 1st found, have a 2nd set that where fitted to an L 46 222rem. which should give us an idea of the age to a certain degree. not sure when bruce hill 1st made scope mts, would think these would be some of his ealiest.
hard to see but if looked at closely from the top you can see where the v shape bases are screwed onto the body.
susanna

Attachments

• Sako scope mounts - pictorial
    hillver 2pc sako mounts 001.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 48
    hillver 2pc sako mounts 003.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 45
    hillver 2pc sako mounts 002.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for that info Stonecreek. BTW, congrats on the L57 243 (GB). I thought very hard about that one!

Very interesting mounts susanna. Thanks for sharing.

earlier on in this disscusion it was thought that the twin stud aussie mounts where made after the tasco brand took over.
here is a new in box hillver twin stud 1 pce base. photo on the box displays the twin stud base.
as L46 mentions, lots are stamped tasco australia some just stamped australia. many rings sets & bases are unmarked.
later lynx rings are packed in boxes marked made in south africa.

Attachments

hillver 1pce base later 2 pin windage model 003.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 32
aussie made AUSINEL 1 pce mount taken from an early model L461

susanna

Attachments

austrailian made Ausinel 1 pce mount 022.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 39
    austrailian made Ausinel 1 pce mount 007.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 34
    austrailian made Ausinel 1 pce mount 010.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 32
Ok then......

It seems that Stone has ratted me out.....again.....for using something other than my "go-to" Conetrols.:)

A while back I bought a very nice FI Sako L461 HB in 222 mag. from one of our members. It had a very clean B&L Balvar 2.5-8 scope on it.....but in a Kuharsky mount/rings that someone had installed with a bunch of red loctite. So much "red" that I had to VERY, VERY carefully hacksaw the mount off.

Everything cleaned up quite nicely. I've had a like new set of Leupold Adjusto mounts/rings for many years.....that I've always thought are "little jewels", and finely made.

I thought they'd make a very nice set-up with the B&L scope.....and be somewhat "period" correct.

Anyway......the combination looks great. To top things off......the rifle came with a perfectly installed Canjar single-set trigger.

I must be easily influenced, at times, as Stone has also talked me into retaining a set of old factory Sako "200 degree ringcap" ringmounts on a custom L461 222 Mag. sporter. It also has a Winchester type safety conversion applied to the bolt.

Now......I happen to KNOW that Stone has at least one more contribution to this mount/ring thread......his VAST collection of Weaver mounts/rings!!!!! :):):)

Once I fix my computer problems, I'll try to add some pics.

Last edited:
Susanna,
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and great photos on the mounts!
The Ausinels went hand in hand with a early L461 in 222 and a bushnell 3-9 scope!
Saw dozens of them back in the day.
Do you have any thoughts on the early two piece mounts i posted?
They are the same as the mounts on the P54 you have.
L-46

Anyone familiar with these Sako "Universal" mounts. They look very similar to some of the Tasco or Hilver examples?

That's curious. I've never seen Sako misspell "Forester" on anything.

Are these mounts not essentially the same design as "Optilocks"?

Latest posts

Back