• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako scope mounts - pictorial

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

hello!
I didn't notice any of swing mounts for scope.
sorry if I skip it. sakomount_2.JPG sakomount_3.JPG sakomount_4.JPG sakomount_5.JPG
this one is made in Poland.
It's very reliable.

take care and have safety hunting.

Here is another couple of sets of rings to suits Sakos that I haven't seen before, both currently advertised on a used guns website here in Asutralia.

Sako Tru-lock 26mm rings and base to suit Sako lever actions:
image.jpeg

And Burris windage adjustable rings and two piece bases. These look like a nice neat set up.
image.jpeg

Marcus

Hi all,

I was debating on what scope and mounts to choose for my .222 AI and .243 L579 so I got the collection and camera out and took some snaps. The AI is at the smith's shop so the L579 is modelling.

Long story short:
2 piece mounts: chunky! Except for the Redfield
Leupold ringmounts: nice!!!! my favourite choice

Weaver bases: Burris Extreme Tactical. Corny name I know but the only ones my local shop had in stock. I see the Weaver bases in the attached screenshot (from ebay) are also a fit.

These look a bit too 'tactical' but not terribly so. Far less chunky than the Lynx or Optilocks anyway. Pictured with Warne rings

SAR_0786 (Large).JPG SAR_0787 (Large).JPG SAR_0789 (Large).JPG

weaver bases.jpg

Lynx 2 piece bases. I believe they are compatible with Hillver / Tasco World Class rings which I haven't included, or the stud that they attach to. Such rings are windage adjustable. Please correct me if I'm wrong!!!

I pushed the bases all the way forward onto the dovetail but they overhang the action opening. Going on this, they are not my preferred choice. Design flaw? Wrong rings? Operator error? Please chime in if you know!

SAR_0794 (Large).JPG SAR_0792 (Large).JPG SAR_0793 (Large).JPG

Hillver bridge mount. Very solid, also a bit weighty if you're concerned with adding grams here and there. I don't prefer these as I like to single load rounds while varminting and this setup obstructs the action opening a little - but not a lot. Again, compatible with the same Lynx / Hillver / Tasco World Class rings etc rings mentioned above. Pictured with Tasco 'standard' height 1" rings.

In my series of posts, this is the only item that is action size specific. Small action bridge mount can only be used for small actions, e.g. L461, AI, 85 S size.

The beauty of the Hillver type setup is both rings are windage adjustable, self aligning (no lapping) and are available for about $30 - $50 a pair on the Aussie secondhand market.

IN THEORY
If you were inclined to you could 'ring' your entire scope collection quite cheaply and swap out scopes at will, using the same bases securely Loctited to your rifle.

IN PRACTICE
You still need to sight in every time you swap rings so easy access to a range would be handy. Anyone live on a big farm? AND this 'quick swap' can also be achieved using weaver bases. AND weaver bases might appear less 'chunky' depending on your totally subjective point of view. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!!

SAR_0809 (Large).JPG SAR_0810 (Large).JPG SAR_0811 (Large).JPG SAR_0814 (Large).JPG

Redfield 2-piece:
My second most favourite mount in my 'box 'o tricks'.

These are held on by friction only, tap them on with a wood mallet and the recoil rams them solid I'm told by the vendor. I'm assured it works well, although I hear nimrods have been known to add epoxy! Similar to what Branxhunter posted above. Rear ring is windage adjustable. These fit and line up so nicely to the action, they are a sweet looking setup! A stud under the rear of the rear base matches the recess behind the rear dovetail.

SAR_0803 (Large).JPG SAR_0805 (Large).JPG SAR_0806 (Large).JPG SAR_0807 (Large).JPG SAR_0808 (Large).JPG

I agree that the one-piece bases somewhat obstruct access to the loading/ejection port, and are also heavier than most mount systems. Besides, putting bases on a rifle which already has bases built in is a redundancy that should be avoided. There is hardly anything superior to the original Sako ringmounts that they produced from the '50's into the 80's; I wish they would offer them again instead of the heavy, clunky, and overly-tall Optilocks. The Leupold ringmounts are simple, light, and strong; their only shortcoming is lack of windage adjustment -- but that is rarely an issue since Sako tends to point the axis of its actions and barrels in pretty much the same direction;).

Redfield 2-piece.

My 'old school' gloss Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x32 is a nice fit. Deep blue steel rifle, deep blue steel mount, gloss black scope, ah!!!! The bolt clears the scope with a few mm to spare. Could probably take a 40mm scope, maybe just.

SAR_0829 (Large).JPG SAR_0830 (Large).JPG

Alas my 'shorty' Leupold Vari-X III 1.75-6x32 is still a bit too short, better match for my AI or Brno 22 instead.

SAR_0828 (Large).JPG

A stud under the rear of the rear base matches the recess behind the rear dovetail.
Are you sure about that? Those look like the Redfield bases, and you are correct that they are held and made ever tighter due to the tapered dovetail on the action. But if there were a stud in the rear base it would prevent the base from moving forward and tightening itself on the tapered dovetail. Some of the older versions of these bases had set screws, which are unnecessary and should be removed and discarded lest someone think that the bases can be positioned somewhere other than at their most forward extreme.

I've used many of the Redfield/Burris base/turn-in rings and they work well despite having to use an extra base on top of the dovetails. One of the advantages is that you can mount any height or diameter of ring in these bases, as well as offset rings to adjust the fore-aft latitude of the scope, making them among the most versatile of mounts for a Sako.

Drumroll for my favourite.... the Leupold one piece ringmount,

gloss blue, the old version without the 'L' logo stamped on top of the top ring. What can I say, I just think it looks great. In my totally subjective opinion, just a little bit better than the Redfield 2-piece which I also like.

SAR_0815 (Large).JPG SAR_0818 (Large).JPG SAR_0819 (Large).JPG SAR_0820 (Large).JPG SAR_0821 (Large).JPG

Alas my 'shorty' Leupold Vari-X III 1.75-6x32 is still a bit too short
Two solutions: You can get this same base with the forward ring hole at the rear rather than at the front of the base, making the distance between the rings shorter. You can also get an offset front ring which accomplishes the same thing.

Regardless, the original Leupold 1.75-6X, cute and neat as it was, was just too short for many uses which is why they stretched its tube in the later version.

I note that your L579 is the "Australian" short striker version. That's been discussed here on the board but so far as I know no concise explanation of it has ever been presented.

Leupold one piece ringmount, with scopes

The Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x32 fits great, just enough space to clear the bolt and the barrel.

SAR_0823 (Large).JPG SAR_0824 (Large).JPG

Again my 'shorty' Leupold Vari-X III 1.75-6x32 is still a bit too short for the L579. Note that both rings are pushed all the way forward on the tapered dovetail, so I can't adjust their spacing.

SAR_0825 (Large).JPG

And with my Zeiss Conquest MC 3-9x40, it still clears the barrel BUT the bolt contacts the rubber eyepiece ring. Just a touch too low! Fitting the same scope to my AI .222, the front objective bell touches the barrel, but only just. Sounds like a job for the slightly taller Redfield 2-piece bases! OR a Leupold medium ringmount.

SAR_0822 (Large).JPG

And of course we have the Sako Optilock. Why did Sako make THEIR OWN tapered dovetail system redundant by adding a base - to change the method in which the ring is attached to the rifle? Why so chunky? Why so high? This is the 'extra low' 30mm ring. It's too low for the hubble space telescope, alias Trijicon 2.5-10x56, but only just. The 'low' rings would probably be perfect, along with padding on the stock to raise the comb. LOW rings for a 56mm scope, jeez what would you use 'high' rings for?

SAR_0826 (Large).JPG SAR_0795 (Large).JPG SAR_0826 (Large).JPG SAR_0795 (Large).JPG SAR_0796 (Large).JPG SAR_0797 (Large).JPG SAR_0798 (Large).JPG

SAR_0800 (Large).JPG
At least the bases line up nicely with the action, as you'd expect from the same manufacturer. I just wish the bases didn't resemble a shiny blued house brick.

Similar to the Burris Zee Signature rings, they come with a plastic insert so you nice new scope doesn't get scratched.

I bought most of these rings over time as I wanted to build up a small collection. A lot of them are no longer in production, gloss blued stuff isn't produced as much as it used to be. I accumulated a few scopes as well. I've been collecting stuff over time as my young family precludes me from shooting much. However as they get older I'll be able to set up my kit and get back into it next year. Too much stuff, you'll see some appear in the for sale section later this year. Once I finally get a chance to set up my rifles with what works I'll clear out the cabinet.

I bought a lot of these mounts from Andrew at Premium Optics Australia, worth a look if you're chasing something obscure/specific, especially Pecar related. Pecar isn't my cup of tea but I do like old school mounts. I've no other connection with him otherwise, but reasonable prices and good service deserve a mention. Otherwise I've found that phoning around gun shops works as they would rarely list a pair of old rings on their website, but they do often receive them on 'trade in' guns. Especially Hillver type, quite common over here. I also keep a keen eye on the popular used guns websites here, no doubt you Aussies know which ones I mean as you probably look daily too!

Happy hunting ladies and gents!

Again my 'shorty' Leupold Vari-X III 1.75-6x32 is still a bit too short for the L579. Note that both rings are pushed all the way forward on the tapered dovetail, so I can't adjust their spacing.

sar_0825-large-jpg.12378

???
Looks like you've got ample room to move the front Leupold ring rearward and the rear Leupold ring forward in order to accommodate the short tube of this scope. No?

On my older Sakos I use original Sako rings and original Sako receiver peep sights (I have a good supply of both) but on my "modern" rifle, a Sako Black Bear in 30-06, I am now using Talley Q-D rings (two sets, two scopes) and the Talley peep sight. Its a great rear sight, and with the easily adjustable front sight it made for very fast sighting in and accurate hitting out to 100 yards. The rifle is easy to carry and shoot without a scope adding bulk and weight. I will mount a scope when necessary but do not necessarily mount a scope.
2529.JPG

1994.JPG

DSC009073.JPG

Last edited:
Here is a mounting system you don't see often. I bought a couple old Riihimaki rifles and they had these bases and scopes for the old B&L Balvar scopes with no internal adjustments...

thumbnail_IMG_3352.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3431.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3430.jpg

Looks like you've got ample room to move the front Leupold ring rearward and the rear Leupold ring forward in order to accommodate the short tube

Because of the tapered dovetail I presumed I had to slightly loosen the clamping screw from full stop, push to ring all the way forward until it snugly engages with the rifle dovetail, then tighten the clamping screw. This effectively means there is only one position option for each ring, being the positions in the photo.

I've never used these rings before so please tell me if I'm incorrect!
20170925_214851.jpg

Back