• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Thoughts on the Sako 85 Action

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

South Pender

Let me start off by saying that I've tried to track down previous threads on the 85 action through the search function, but wasn't able to find much at all when I entered "Sako 85," "Sako 85 action," or "85 action."

Most threads on the forum concern earlier Sako rifles, and I understand that; the earlier L- and A-series rifles seem to be the most desirable, and I've owned a number of them and have found them to be excellent rifles. However, I'm interested in knowing some of the details about the newer 85-series rifles. I haven't owned an 85 (or 75), but have handled an 85 in a LGS and have read the Sako literature about them. However, I'd be interested in hearing from you Sako experts and knowing your evaluation of this action. It is a 3-lug action, which I have really liked in the past about my Champlin and Wichita rifles. It can also come with a single-set trigger, another thing I really like with the Canjar single-set trigger on my A1 6 PPC.

What have you guys found to be particularly desirable about the 85 action? Perhaps improvements over the earlier L-series, A-series, and 75s? And what have you seen as weaknesses? I'm not so concerned about the stock styles that have been used with this action or aesthetics, but rather the design properties and functioning of the actions themselves.

So what do you see as the strong and weak points about this action?

Edit: I've just discovered the "Sako 75, 85, and A7" subforum, and have found useful information there. So that has helped. Still, if anyone wishes to contribute to this discussion, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Let me start off by saying that I've tried to track down previous threads on the 85 action through the search function, but wasn't able to find much at all when I entered "Sako 85," "Sako 85 action," or "85 action."

Most threads on the forum concern earlier Sako rifles, and I understand that; the earlier L- and A-series rifles seem to be the most desirable, and I've owned a number of them and have found them to be excellent rifles. However, I'm interested in knowing some of the details about the newer 85-series rifles. I haven't owned an 85 (or 75), but have handled an 85 in a LGS and have read the Sako literature about them. However, I'd be interested in hearing from you Sako experts and knowing your evaluation of this action. It is a 3-lug action, which I have really liked in the past about my Champlin and Wichita rifles. It can also come with a single-set trigger, another thing I really like with the Canjar single-set trigger on my A1 6 PPC.

What have you guys found to be particularly desirable about the 85 action? Perhaps improvements over the earlier L-series, A-series, and 75s? And what have you seen as weaknesses? I'm not so concerned about the stock styles that have been used with this action or aesthetics, but rather the design properties and functioning of the actions themselves.

So what do you see as the strong and weak points about this action?
You are right, threads are more difficult to find because the history is not really there yet, and unfortunately many of the threads are not of a positive nature.

We have a more than a few 85 rifles and are very pleased in general. Also several of our extended family have purchased 85’s because of our good fortune. We don’t consider ourselves experts but I will make an attempt to help from my experience.

Below are photos of my wife’s Finnlight for reference. This was our first and was bought so my wife could move to a light rifle. The L and A series rifles we own were just getting too heavy for her.

The action and bolt are very solid and pleasing to the eye. The actions are glass smooth and the bolt lift in my opinion is just right, leaving plenty of room to operate without interference. The three lug conical bolt is solid and lockup outstanding. Feeding, extraction and ejection have been perfect. I cannot think of even one mishap.

There have been reported downsides regarding the bolt, specifically where the ejection takes place, from the bottom. It’s been reported spent cases hit the scope upon ejection and land back in the loading port. We have never experienced this on any action length. We use mostly low Sako Ringmounts, and Zeiss or Swarovski scopes .

The other concern is the lack of a traditional recoil lug (please refer to the bottom of the action and the stock). This system uses a mounting plate with an oval male and female assembly then the front guard screw positively pulls it together. Not my favorite system, but we’ve had zero issues with accuracy what so ever.

I know you didn’t ask about accuracy but as a side note accuracy has been excellent in all cases.

Many will say the modern version is a lesser not an improvement over the L’s , A’s and so on. I agree mostly. The new rifle will never replace our vintage models, but they did fill a much needed niche.

I’ve never owned a 75 so I simply cannot comment. Perhaps others will chime in. Take care.

Attachments

• 20ABE38E-2A5E-45F3-B1A3-AD8417667217.jpeg
    20ABE38E-2A5E-45F3-B1A3-AD8417667217.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 22
  • C02DAA3F-BAB6-4FF7-BA0B-3A6672274C00.jpeg
    C02DAA3F-BAB6-4FF7-BA0B-3A6672274C00.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 4D8D9928-58CE-4CAB-80FE-99BBF4E7DB64.jpeg
    4D8D9928-58CE-4CAB-80FE-99BBF4E7DB64.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 80564398-E2A7-48D6-962F-0B15C3FE6B0C.jpeg
    80564398-E2A7-48D6-962F-0B15C3FE6B0C.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 6CB3BCEF-1DC3-4884-AA05-EC681638496D.jpeg
    6CB3BCEF-1DC3-4884-AA05-EC681638496D.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 18
  • E8A7BE07-00C5-4B77-8A32-7B766BA4CFDC.jpeg
    E8A7BE07-00C5-4B77-8A32-7B766BA4CFDC.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DCFE2966-2160-458F-9BAE-5172DEFCF85E.jpeg
    DCFE2966-2160-458F-9BAE-5172DEFCF85E.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 18
You are right, threads are more difficult to find because the history is not really there yet, and unfortunately many of the threads are not of a positive nature.

We have a more than a few 85 rifles and are very pleased in general. Also several of our extended family have purchased 85’s because of our good fortune. We don’t consider ourselves experts but I will make an attempt to help from my experience.

Below are photos of my wife’s Finnlight for reference. This was our first and was bought so my wife could move to a light rifle. The L and A series rifles we own were just getting too heavy for her.

The action and bolt are very solid and pleasing to the eye. The actions are glass smooth and the bolt lift in my opinion is just right, leaving plenty of room to operate without interference. The three lug conical bolt is solid and lockup outstanding. Feeding, extraction and ejection have been perfect. I cannot think of even one mishap.

There have been reported downsides regarding the bolt, specifically where the ejection takes place, from the bottom. It’s been reported spent cases hit the scope upon ejection and land back in the loading port. We have never experienced this on any action length. We use mostly low Sako Ringmounts, and Zeiss or Swarovski scopes .

The other concern is the lack of a traditional recoil lug (please refer to the bottom of the action and the stock). This system uses a mounting plate with an oval male and female assembly then the front guard screw positively pulls it together. Not my favorite system, but we’ve had zero issues with accuracy what so ever.

I know you didn’t ask about accuracy but as a side note accuracy has been excellent in all cases.

Many will say the modern version is a lesser not an improvement over the L’s , A’s and so on. I agree mostly. The new rifle will never replace our vintage models, but they did fill a much needed niche.

I’ve never owned a 75 so I simply cannot comment. Perhaps others will chime in. Take care.

Sean, that's terrific information. Thanks for taking the time. I have a question about the recoil lug. Is it that very small protuberance or lump into which the front guard screw threads? If so, it sure seems small. There appears to be a transverse slot in the bottom of the receiver just ahead of the front guard screw hole. Presumably, some greater recoil absorption could be accomplished by glass-bedding the action, letting the glass flow up into that slot.

One thing I find attractive about the 85s (and 75s also, apparently) is that a really great aftermarket trigger is made for it: the Bix'n Andy. I'm sure the stock Sako trigger is fine for 99% of shooters, and is undoubtedly a good hunting trigger, but for those few of us who like to do benchrest shooting, a really light trigger is a nice option. The B&A can be tuned down to about 1.5 oz. for bench shooting and load development, but then increased up to 2-3 lbs. for hunting purposes.

Sean, that's terrific information. Thanks for taking the time. I have a question about the recoil lug. Is it that very small protuberance or lump into which the front guard screw threads? If so, it sure seems small. There appears to be a transverse slot in the bottom of the receiver just ahead of the front guard screw hole. Presumably, some greater recoil absorption could be accomplished by glass-bedding the action, letting the glass flow up into that slot.

One thing I find attractive about the 85s (and 75s also, apparently) is that a really great aftermarket trigger is made for it: the Bix'n Andy. I'm sure the stock Sako trigger is fine for 99% of shooters, and is undoubtedly a good hunting trigger, but for those few of us who like to do benchrest shooting, a really light trigger is a nice option. The B&A can be tuned down to about 1.5 oz. for bench shooting and load development, but then increased up to 2-3 lbs. for hunting purposes.
I’ve read about the B&A system but haven’t experienced it because our rifles are set up for hunting the high country. And as you’ve stated the factory Sako trigger is absolutely fine for our needs.

And yes, the small lug accepts the guard screw but it’s actually fairly stout. The screw goes up through the bottom metal, through the plate, then into the threads. Once properly tightened its very positive.

The rectangle slot is to marry to an integral aluminum bedding block found aftermarket stocks. We did one on an A7 (which is similar) and the results are outstanding. I don’t think it’s intended for bedding compound, but I’m sure folks might try.

Latest posts

Back