• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

The Moose is Loose!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Paul B.

Hi All,

Recently picked up my 3rd Sako - a L579 Forester Deluxe in .308 Win (Serial # 18XXX). Once I saw the floorplate, I knew I had to have it! The rosewood forend tip is a bit darker than my other Sakos. Otherwise, it has some minor bluing loss towards the rear of the bolt and 1 scratch on the forearm checkering. Other than that, I think it's in phenomenal shape! Can't wait to shoot it! :)

20170508_163707.jpg

20170508_163538.jpg 20170508_163747.jpg 20170508_163732.jpg 20170508_163650.jpg

Thanks!
- Paul B.

Hi Paul, Many thanks for posting the pics. I never saw the Moose before. Hopefully one or more of our experts will be able to comment further on the one you snagged. Thanks Again for sharing.

rick

Paul,
Great find!
Are you a whitetail & black bear hunter too?
Best regards from another New Yorker,
Kax

Thank you @douglastwo @iwanna and @Unclekax , much appreciated! I would love to find the proper front sight hood. Any suggestions as to where I could find one? I want to avoid dealing with that shady company in Montana for sure. I've reached out to Mr. Bell at SakoSource as I'm hoping that he may have one available. Lastly, yes, I am a whitetail and black bear hunter! :)

While I would probably never buy a gun from a certain company in Montana, I would relent on a $30 hood. That's the only place I know where you can get one on demand.

I bought a Winchester Model 94 sight hood from an operator on Ebay who assures us all that he only selects the best original hoods to sell. Yeah. Right. Whatever. I bought one anyway.

Paul if you want to see pictures of a lot of the different floor plate engraving, go to the topic "General Sako Discussions" and you'll see a post titled "Link to Deluxe floor plate gallery". That'll get you to a bunch of neat photos of various floor plate engraving.

awesome, awesome, awesome !!!! I've got a .243 with the moose on it. Bought it just this past winter. It makes sense to me to see one in .308, the .243 is a tough combination to digest. But who cares ? Moosehead floorplate ! congrats on your find and thanks for sharing!

DeerGoose

Paul if you want to see pictures of a lot of the different floor plate engraving, go to the topic "General Sako Discussions" and you'll see a post titled "Link to Deluxe floor plate gallery". That'll get you to a bunch of neat photos of various floor plate engraving.
@douglastwo
When I go to the link there is no info ? Am I doing something wrong ?

I just can't abide a Sako with a missing sight hood. Other brands of rifles it wouldn't bother me one way or the other. But, a Sako front sight looks so raw and gawky without one.

Hi All - I finally got around to disassembling my "moose" gun and I can confirm that while it doesn't have the flat bolt handle, it does indeed have a one piece bottom metal assembly (including the magazine) much like the revered original Mauser 98 sporter (the all-time best hunting bolt action rifle in my opinion). Cool!!

Latest posts

Back