• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Scammers heads up!!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Enjoy how threads get tangential. I've seen threads ranking various Sakos, but none about favorite scopes. I try to put scopes contemporary to the manufacture date on the few I have, Mostly Leupold glossies that seem to be getting pricey. Was never into scopes so would like to hear from the "vintage" members choices.

Nothing beats an old M8 model fixed power glossy Leupold for that "Classic" look. A 6x Compact with an AO is the perfect match for a L46 222 Rem sporter, IMHO. Today's trend toward mounting bulbous telescopes on rifles borders on insanity. I use 3x, 6x, 7.5x, 8x, 10x, & 12x depending on the rifle & it's intended use. Don't have much use for variable power scopes, but I do own three. Bought them for the reticle choice more than the variable feature as today's scopes don't come "fixed". One variable that I think works well & looks right on a "hunting" rifle is the 2.5-8x Vari-X Leupold. Light, compact, & dependable! These are just my choices based on how I hunt & shoot. Others probably have different uses & circumstances that would make for different choices. Compared to what we had 50 years ago the choices are mind-boggling.

Nothing beats an old M8 model fixed power glossy Leupold for that "Classic" look. A 6x Compact with an AO is the perfect match for a L46 222 Rem sporter, IMHO. Today's trend toward mounting bulbous telescopes on rifles borders on insanity. I use 3x, 6x, 7.5x, 8x, 10x, & 12x depending on the rifle & it's intended use. Don't have much use for variable power scopes, but I do own three. Bought them for the reticle choice more than the variable feature as today's scopes don't come "fixed". One variable that I think works well & looks right on a "hunting" rifle is the 2.5-8x Vari-X Leupold. Light, compact, & dependable! These are just my choices based on how I hunt & shoot. Others probably have different uses & circumstances that would make for different choices. Compared to what we had 50 years ago the choices are mind-boggling.
Great Topic!
This deserves to have a thread of its own!

Nothing beats an old M8 model fixed power glossy Leupold for that "Classic" look. . . . One variable that I think works well & looks right on a "hunting" rifle is the 2.5-8x Vari-X Leupold. Light, compact, & dependable! These are just my choices based on how I hunt & shoot.
Great Topic!
I'm with Paulson on this one. It is a great shame that Leupold has quit offering the gloss finish, and virtually quit offering fixed powers.

As to the "cheap" Asian-made scopes of yesteryear: Most of them came from Japan and one of its premier optics companies like Hakko. Sako even marketed a Sako-branded scope from Hakko at one time. Those Japanese scopes from the 60's and 70's were actually pretty good scopes, particularly in the fixed power models -- variables were more "variable" so to speak since the more complicated systems had weak spots in sealing and repeatability. The Bushnell Scope Chief line is a good example of higher-quality Japanese scopes. Bausch and Lomb even went to Japan for their Balvar internally adjusted line, which were also good scopes. But when marketers went to the Philippines and "Red" China for their cheaper products such scopes became objects to avoid.

There was a time when you could buy a typical 4X fixed Japanese scope (often with someone's proprietary brand attached to it) for between $10 and $20. I had a few of those back in the day and found them very dependable.

Great Topic!

Right you are! I'll start one.

Sako even marketed a Sako-branded scope from Hakko at one time.
Tikka also sold Hakko-built scopes under its own name. This was post-merger so they were probably identical to the Sako-marked scopes. I brought one back from Finland in the 90's, but I let a friend talk me into selling it. I feel like a complete idiot for that, and I've never seen another. (The buyer was the guy who ran the Sako website that was the predecessor to this one. At least it went to a good home.)

What was it that set you off ?
Did you get scammed?
Did you see someone else get scammed?
Did you get a bad feeling something could be a scam?
Or..Did you search for “Scamming” and this 3 year old thread was the first to pop up?
Since you’ve only been gone for a year, it’s not like scamming just began this year.
Maybe you are referring to the ads ???

Explain your reasoning if you could sir.

the volume of people coming out on one post and all of them had friends that had exactly what I needed from all sort of locations. Simply email their friend and they could work out a deal. All brand new members to forum. Just felt weird. I do (or have done)a lot of biz on many forums. It’s happening everywhere. It’s easier to just move on. Getting a stock for a rifle I never shoot isn’t important enough to deal with and sift thru all the bs. It’s a great rifle that will likely find another home. It’s for sale at this point.

Well, perhaps do not sell or buy here if that’s your complaint. A “ sea of scammers”?
Come on, sounds hollow as this forum is replete with valuable information not available anywhere else.
Who is trying to “scam” you?
Perhaps you can enrich the conversation with your extensive knowledge & contributions.

On further thought, just close the door behind you quietly & no one will know you left. No reason to slam it loudly & raise your voice with vague insults as you leave. May you be blessed with all you have earned & deserve…
Somebody’s estrogen level just peeked. Jeez man. I made a simple observation and comment. I didn’t name names. This site is fantastic for gaining knowledge, but the classifieds get little action. I got 3 or 4 responses to a post and everyone of them were scammers. Not hard to tell either. Settle down about the leaving and no one will notice but. I know you are right, but your panties showed out of the top of your pants just now.

the volume of people coming out on one post and all of them had friends that had exactly what I needed from all sort of locations. Simply email their friend and they could work out a deal. All brand new members to forum. Just felt weird. I do (or have done)a lot of biz on many forums. It’s happening everywhere. It’s easier to just move on. Getting a stock for a rifle I never shoot isn’t important enough to deal with and sift thru all the bs. It’s a great rifle that will likely find another home. It’s for sale at this point.
Completely understandable..but you did the right thing and followed your gut instincts. Glad for that.
There are many , too many bad people out there. They prey on everyone they can in any way they can. The web has made it easy.
There are also good people, and this little club has quite a few. They will do you no harm.
It was smart of you to observe the fact that these bad guys were all new members. Good idea!
Sorry you had a bad experience, but the good guys had nothing in it. Welcome back if you change your mind.

That is basically the warning that is posted at the top of every Forum page. Had you stated in your first post that you were getting that experience, you would not have gotten the negative replies. The characterization of this forum as a "sea of scammers" was guaranteed to get pushback, and it wasn't even what you meant. I don't know why some members get a flood of scam messages and others do not - might be just luck of the draw. I've been on this site for years and only gotten one suspicious PM, which I ignored.

Back