Scammers heads up!!

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by CHAD JONES, Jan 12, 2018.

1. CHAD JONES

CHAD JONES Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Hi guys, just wanted to give the community a heads up on how I almost fell into a scam for another beloved Mannlicher. I came across one for sale in Arizona. The seller gave me all the information that I had requested so everthing seemed pretty legit. The plan was to do an FLL to FLL transfer. Just to double check that my information was correct I called the FFL dealer in Arizona. To our surprize, they weren't aware of any pending transaction. Unfortunately, for them from our conversation, there FFL information had been compromised and being used to try and scam individuals out of money and not ship any firearms. I'm not the first to have this happen but wanted to share so it doesn't happen to someone elso. Take care.

2. Mongo44

Mongo44 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Dadgum! That ain't good! Hope they find the SOBs...

3. CHAD JONES

CHAD JONES Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Tell me about it!!! I was totally caught off guard on this one. Based on the pictures and asking price I jumped all over it. Until the pressuring messages my gut told me something was off. Since it was a sako mannlicher I just wanted to spread the word.

4. CHAD JONES

CHAD JONES Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Sako Mannlicher in .222 magnum. I figured why have one when you can have backup.

Attached Files:

• skk.jpg
      skk.jpg
      File size:
      56.7 KB
      Views:
  5. ardeekay

ardeekay Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    There was a deal sorta like that about a month ago on armslist... nice sako mannlicher, $600...great shape... had the rings...sight hood,etc. it was in Penn.... the 3 days later ( same picture and ad) Ohio... then Ft. Cambell... then Biloxi... I contacted, and they would not take a US postal money order !!! (first red flag) then seller wanted me to send funds to some girl, via walmart money transfer..(second red flag) then he told me that if I paid today, he'd ship today..( this was Saturday afternoon..no-one ships on Saturday afternoon..) (third and final red flag) .. moral, is that if something seems too good to be true... than its probably a scam... $600 for a sako Mannlicher is rediculous, as most of us know... Bob

deergoose likes this.
  6. CHAD JONES

CHAD JONES Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Thanks Bob, I couldn't agree more with ya. Almost to the tee with the same storyline. They must be evolving the storyline since they only wanted a USPS money order. I was able to pass along possibly the same Gal's information onto the dealer in arizona and the serial number for the rifle. The dealer was incontact with the BATF and going to pass my findings along to them. And yes it was on Armslist.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The subject of Armslist comes up occasionally. It is not the only site where fraudulent advertising can be found, but the frequency of scam ads there is much greater than any other site. The owners of the site apparently try to do nothing to filter or track scammers. I refuse to even look at the site, as should other legitimate gun buyers and sellers.

deergoose likes this.
  8. ardeekay

ardeekay Member

Country Flag:
    USA

9. ardeekay

ardeekay Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Its sad that they are getting away with this stuff... seems like no-one is going after these people... with technology of today, they should be able to track the scammers down and jail them.. Bob

10. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    What they are doing to the elderly (non-firearm) makes me want to puke......Send the bastards to prison !

DeerGoose

11. ricksengines

ricksengines Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I flagged it just a few days back.

rick