• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Scammers heads up!!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Well, we haven't heard back from the "sea of scammers" poster and perhaps we won't. But one thought occurred to me - he might have been referring to the paid ads inserted into the page by the webhost. Many of these look to me like obvious scams, and the way they are inserted into the page could fool somebody into thinking they were part of somebody's legitimate post. Just a thought.

Always enjoy the discussions on this site. Reading this thread some thoughts come to mind. That scammers consider it's worth their while to target Sako purchasers suggests that the value of them is being recognized by a wider audience. Like Deergoose says they must think we're an older demographic that is vulnerable and unsophisticated. (Tip of the hat to encyclopedic knowledge of contributors to this site). Regarding the interest in vintage Tasco scopes I have one from 1964 in near mint and could be yours. Slide two fifties into an envelope and send it to me, supply your SSN, address, and bank info and I'll get it right out to you, no shipping charge!

I don't have a clue about any scams or any ads that look suspicious when I'm on this site. Does having my ad blocker always engaged prevent me from seeing them or am I missing something?

I don't have a clue about any scams or any ads that look suspicious when I'm on this site. Does having my ad blocker always engaged prevent me from seeing them or am I missing something?
You’re not missing a thing. Mostly Ukrainian brides Online gambling, and HIV meds … all the forums have them in one form or another. It’s a shame

B88992C2-9008-4E15-B52D-3CC589FCF344.jpeg

Free to a good home .. Super rare Tasco Red Label
Awesome 10 x 40 AO.. like new
Include $ 275 , US cash or personal check for shipping, handling, mishandling , a carton of USA Gold and a case a Boones Farm Country Quencher

I don't use an ad blocker (which may filter all of them out, can't say). However, whenever I'm on the forum I am "logged in" as a member. If logged in you see only one ad on a given page, whereas if simply viewing as a non-member or if not logged-in you may see multiple ads. So, if you're a member be sure to log in to get fewer ads, and if you're not a member, then what have you been waiting for?

By the way, the Club receives about $100 to $120 every three months or so (about $400 to $500 per year) from ad revenue, which helps keep us up and going by paying for part of our monthly web host costs ($122) and annual registrations, etc., another $150 or so. The funds to cover the rest of the cost not covered by the ad revenue come from fees from the Factory Records service and an occasional member donation.

I'm getting a good laugh from the Tasco scope jokes. Back when I was in the business, I got quite a few decent quality guns with Tasco or other junk scopes on them. I would take them off and put them on a corner of the gun show table with a sign: "Your Choice - $25." They always sold. I do not understand why somebody will take a quality gun like a Sako and put a cheap optic on it. If you're spending that kind of money on a rifle, why cheap out on the scope?

I will say this
In my early years of life as a hunting /shooting enthusiast, trying to get by on minimum wage and raise a family, I had a few Tasco scopes. My rifle cost me $380 (Ruger 77 UL .270 win) and all I had left got me a Tasco World Class 3-9x40. I harvested quite a few deer with that set up and the scope stayed true on poi. Back then a Leupold or Burris was a “One of these days” dream.
As things in life improved the Tasco scopes didn’t, and I was able to finally SEE what I’d been missing. Leupold ever since…but it was Tasco that started it for me.

have a look at eBay…you will be surprised at the price an old Vintage Tasco brings!

you will be surprised at the price an old Vintage Tasco brings!
Or an old vintage Bushnell. Typically I take all the cheap scopes (name the brand) to the local pawnshop. Typically I will receive $20-$25 a piece, and I’m happy.

The Bushnell (pictured) and rings brought $70 at a recent gun show. I was hoping for $50, lol…

BTW, I still have those Weaver dovetail mounts for Sako. Offer still stands. lol, again.

Attachments

• 0D759AEB-8699-4C4F-8827-6C64FBF372A3.jpeg
    0D759AEB-8699-4C4F-8827-6C64FBF372A3.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 7
Did have one very good old Tasco World Class. It was made in Japan and last I heard it is still going strong on a Ruger#1 chambered for 7MM AI. ( Gave the rifle to my older Brother and he loves it.) Been on that rifle for about 35 yrs now.

Does not fit the term “scam”, but why unless you’re a box collector? B639BCDF-4E59-4AEE-BEA3-AFF14BAB6EF4.png Would relabeling be a possibility for some purpose?
So the box is worth 15% of the rifles value?
Fiberclass ~$1,000. The shipping box $150.

Does not fit the term “scam”, but why unless you’re a box collector?View attachment 29124 Would relabeling be a possibility for some purpose?
I always figured a box that the rifle came in with the matching serial number might add $100 dollars to the rifle's price.. A random box that comes with a rifle with no "connection" is worthless. I have heard that some unscrupulous sellers are also reproducing phony labels to deceive. Caveat Emptor!!

Does not fit the term “scam”, but why unless you’re a box collector?View attachment 29124 Would relabeling be a possibility for some purpose?
Agree with paulson on the $100 original box add on. Can you imagine buying the box for $150, then buying a fake label for whatever the label price would be - to potentially add $100. Bill Engvall would say “ here’s your sign”. A real Darwin Award winning concept.

I feel that if the gun is New in the Box and has never been hunted, carried, scoped or sighted in..that’s special. If the gun is minty , but used , scoped and hunted, comes with original box and hang tags yada yada. That’s nice but .. from that point on the owner just simply has a cardboard box to stack and store. Having said box is good business…when the time comes to sell.
Take the same gun , buy a box that matches the make and model with a label attached with non-matching serial numbers or Tea stained eBay fake labels in order to gain top dollar is bad business. But, people do it.
I know a guy who plays that way with Colt handgun boxes. Not high on my list of friends

Enjoy how threads get tangential. I've seen threads ranking various Sakos, but none about favorite scopes. I try to put scopes contemporary to the manufacture date on the few I have, Mostly Leupold glossies that seem to be getting pricey. Was never into scopes so would like to hear from the "vintage" members choices.

Latest posts

Back