• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako scope mounts - pictorial

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

The stainless Burris are new to me, also, as these are the first I've seen. This has been a hugely informative thread.

And to think, I've seen (too) many Sakos on which the dovetails have been milled off and the receiver D&T because the gunsmith "couldn't find any mounts to fit".

I've never seen those bases in silver, maybe they're in the white, ie....bead blasted and cleared, or coated like a NP3 finish?

That's possible cmjr. I'll have to do a little research.

Even though these look like Talley's, they are Warne Premier Deluxe Sako ringmounts discontinued in the 1990's.

I've often wondered why Talley didn't offer this style of Sako ringmount rather than the Sako base that they produce. Maybe there was some patent issue with Warne since these were available?

I much prefer a ringmount attaching directly to the integral dovetail than attaching a base to a base with a separate ring.

Last edited:
Warne made both an aluminum and a steel ringmount for Sakos. The aluminum model was said to be weak in the clamp area and wedged apart under the recoil of larger calibers. Whether this is true or is just another anecdote reflecting improper installation I can't say.

Vertically split mounts have never been a favorite of mine since their grip on the base is necessarily somewhat dependent on how tightly they grip the scope tube. That means that the dimensions of the scope, scope clamp, and base clamp all have to be virtually perfect in order for them to mount properly -- something that is especially tricky with a tapered dovetail for a base.

Some really good pics here,
Need some Aussies to post some pics of their Sako mounts!
if you are not sure what they are, post them all the better
L-46

Ok, here's a set of rings with base for a Finnbear. These were the only mounts I could find for my spanking new Sako in 1969. The set I used on the rifle was replaced a few years back and performed very well over the years. The rings and base are aluminum, base is tapered to fit the dovetails and also has set screws. I used them, my bad! JimView attachment 6799
Ok, here's a set of rings with base for a Finnbear. These were the only mounts I could find for my spanking new Sako in 1969. The set I used on the rifle was replaced a few years back and performed very well over the years. The rings and base are aluminum, base is tapered to fit the dovetails and also has set screws. I used them, my bad! JimView attachment 6799
I bought my first SAKO in the early 70's at PEM'S. Dick was a unique indavidual and great gunsmith. He bought the Patent Rights for those bases and rings and made them in his shop.

tripledeuce, I wondered about the PEM'S marking on them as I remember that the original set was marketed by B&L. Thanks Jim

Great info, got this one on a Bofors heavy barrel 22-250 I recently acquired.

Kuharsky Brothers (Bausch & Lomb) adjustable scope mount for Sako Forester rifles, came mounted with a B&L Balvar 8 non adjustable scope

photo11.jpg

photo21.jpg

So these attached to the dovetail and only required set screws?

So these attached to the dovetail and only required set screws?
Yes, both Kuharsky and B&L made adjustable mounts for Sakos which would slide on the dovetails from the rear. It is difficult to make a one-piece base with enough precision that both dovetails fit perfectly, so the use of a set screw was probably necessary (unlike two-piece slide-on bases which need no set screw if installed correctly).

034 (640x480).jpg A couple more, US Weavers, bases and rings, redfield and Burris bases which took the weaver rings.
Field scopes and mounts from Australia.

I think this pic above is an early Tetra bridge mount, happy to be corrected.
It is very old, late fifties, early sixties.
The early Hillver bridge had the rings equal width.
Very popular on the L46 and L461 .222.
L-46

Last edited:
I should know what this one is?? but.
Windage built into the screws.
They also made many two piece mounts for the Brno rimfires with 16mm dovetails.
L-46 033 (640x480).jpg

Another two piece mount which is very old, i have no real idea of the maker.
The mounts are completely hand file finished and then blued.
038 (640x480).jpg L-46

These are 1990's vintage Tasco bridgemounts, when all Aussie mount makers had long gone.
L-46
037 (640x480).jpg

Wow! L-46, you've come up with some really obscure ones (at least to those of us in the U.S.)

On the Tasco bridge mount, was the mount pictured made in Australia like some of the other Tasco mounts?

The thumb wheels on the hand-finished mounts appear to be virtually identical to those on Sako factory mounts. I wonder if the thumb wheels are from Sako?

Wow! L-46, you've come up with some really obscure ones (at least to those of us in the U.S.)

On the Tasco bridge mount, was the mount pictured made in Australia like some of the other Tasco mounts?

The thumb wheels on the hand-finished mounts appear to be virtually identical to those on Sako factory mounts. I wonder if the thumb wheels are from Sako?
I think so, but only going off memory! the packets where the same as you pictured earlier.
The thumb wheels on the other mounts are very similar to Sako, and i have thought the same many times. I will follow up and try and find out more about them.
Someone post a pic of the Ausinel bridge mount, they where very popular in the 70's and 80's!
A mate of mine still has them on his L461 222.
L-46

A new one just popped up! I pirated these photos from eBay. These are clearly marked "Spain", but have the factory-type split rings with screws on both sides rather than the ones we normally see with the hinge on the LH side. I've never seen the Spanish-made rings in this configuration.

$_57.JPG $_58.JPG

That's an interesting variant Stonecreek.

Here's another one that I've never seen before on Sako Mauser action. Maybe someone will recognize it. I'm guessing Hilver bridge?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back