• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako scope mounts - pictorial

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

In my experience, the early one piece rings had soft enough steel that opening up the ring made it possible to slip over the scope tube. Would not recommend doing this procedure very often. This saved a scope break down and made the rings usable for a different application.
I've often wondered if this might be the case, but the one time I experimented with this the ring appeared much too stiff to open this wide. Maybe some of them were a bit more flexible than others.

Thanks Steve & Douglastwo,

I do like the 2nd version Sako mounts & rings with the raised SAKO letters and half circle top ring. I am trying to put a Sako L461 .222 Rem. HB made in 1978 with a K. Khales Helia 4 X 32 made in 1979 with Sako mounts & rings of the same period. Now I know the 2nd type of Sako mounts & rings were available around 1978 - 1980 I can use these to create a scoped rifle with the rifle, scope & mounts & rings of the same period! Thanks again Steve.

Blackjack

Another set of QD rings that may not have been seen in the thread before (but I could be wrong, since some photo hosting sites seems to have broken). Looks a bit like Warne, but could very well be a copy.

No markings whatsoever, apart from some slightly sloppy machining on the bottom :)

There are screws behind/under the the spring-loaded (correct word?) clamps, hold the two pieces together, so the wing nut only tightens/releases the clamp. As can be seen there are two not-so-small alignment 'pins' that should lock onto the front of the rear dovetail, and the rear of the front dovetail. This allow only one position for the rings, and causes a bit of en 'overhang'.

Due to the configuration of the 'alignment pins', the clamp must be fully released so that the scope and rings can be lifted straight up - no sliding backwards here. :)

Any clue to make or model would be appreciated. In fact, I'm not even sure it was made for the Sako dovetail, but it certainly seems to fit.

/cmk

20190911_224517-666x888.jpg
20190911_224625-699x932.jpg
20190911_224654-792x616.jpg

Your guess is correct. Those are Warne QD rings for the Sako dovetail. I have a pair on one of my Sakos, and a similar pair on a CZ. I like them a lot. A problem frequently encountered with the Sako long action (L61R/AIII/AV) is that the distance between the ocular and the objective bell is too short to mount on the long action. The Warne rings solve this problem by indexing on the ejection port, thereby allowing a shorter scope tube than would otherwise be possible. This is especially nice on a long-action carbine, where you might want a shorter scope for both aesthetic and functional reasons. Here's an example, shown on a Sako AIII Mannlicher-style carbine in .30-06. The scope is a Leupold 1.75-6x Vari-X III, which I think is perfect for this rifle. As you can see, it would be impossible to mount this scope using regular Sako rings that index at the back of the rear dovetail. They have the added advantage of making it easy to use the iron sights, should that be necessary. Unfortunately, Warne is no longer making rings for the Sako, but they can frequently be found on eBay.

AIII Carbine 30-06 1.JPG AIII Carbine 30-06 2.JPG

Reactions: cmk
Thanks Icebear, I was looking at the Warne QD rings earlier in this thread ( https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/sako-scope-mounts-pictorial.9888/#post-50002 ), and they look slightly different, e.g. two screws on top, only one indexing pin etc. They actually also look more like the fixed Warne mounts I used to own a couple of years ago.

But this is perhaps an older model?

I was thinking of putting them on my BigBoy rifle, but the one thing that bothers me a bit is that the pins and overhang may interfere with the ejection of cartridges/cases. I'm almost maxing out what the magazine can handle lengthwise, so making the ejection port smaller does seem like a good idea. Well, at least that is easy to test and if it doesn't work out, I'll put them on some other rifle.

Thanks Icebear, I was looking at the Warne QD rings earlier in this thread ( https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/sako-scope-mounts-pictorial.9888/#post-50002 ), and they look slightly different, e.g. two screws on top, only one indexing pin etc. They actually also look more like the fixed Warne mounts I used to own a couple of years ago.

But this is perhaps an older model?
I think that is correct. The newer Warne rings have two screws on top - the ones I just bought for my CZ have two screws. Also note that the two-screw rings in the previous thread only have the indexing lug on one ring - not both like yours and mine. The Warne rings have been on my rifle for many years, and I've never had a problem with ejection.

I am not familiar with a Sako "Big Boy." What action and caliber is your rifle?

I think that is correct. The newer Warne rings have two screws on top - the ones I just bought for my CZ have two screws. Also note that the two-screw rings in the previous thread only have the indexing lug on one ring - not both like yours and mine. The Warne rings have been on my rifle for many years, and I've never had a problem with ejection.

I am not familiar with a Sako "Big Boy." What action and caliber is your rifle?

Aah, that is a re-barreled left hand Sako AV in 404 Jeffery (was originally a 6.5x55 Swedish). Not an official model as far as I know ;-)

Redfield Sako 2.JPG
My pound on Redfields, and one brand new set.
Redfield Sako 1.JPG
Redfield 2-piece:
My second most favourite mount in my 'box 'o tricks'.

These are held on by friction only, tap them on with a wood mallet and the recoil rams them solid I'm told by the vendor. I'm assured it works well, although I hear nimrods have been known to add epoxy! Similar to what Branxhunter posted above. Rear ring is windage adjustable. These fit and line up so nicely to the action, they are a sweet looking setup! A stud under the rear of the rear base matches the recess behind the rear dovetail.

View attachment 12363 View attachment 12364 View attachment 12365 View attachment 12366 View attachment 12367

I see - a varmint rifle. For very large varmints. As you say, it will be easy enough to test if the rings will interfere with ejection. I doubt it; the locating stud is at the very top of the ejection port, which should be well out of the way of the ejected case. Anyway, there is only one way to be sure about it. Good luck.

And way back about the Leupold Adjusto Mount and scope:
Leupold Pioneer Sako 1.JPG

Leupold Pioneer Sako 2.JPG

And here is a rear base that was being difficult to remove and had a bolt clearance problem.
Leupold Sako 2.JPG

Leupold Sako 1.JPG

For some grins and giggles we have these Sako rings, Weaver bases, and Sako peeps. (Although one peep was fit to a Marlin 39 lever 22. Works great.)

Sako rings 1.JPG

Weaver Sako.JPG

Sako peep 1.JPG

Sako peep 2.JPG

Attachments

• Weaver Sako.JPG
    Weaver Sako.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 3
Back