• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Sako Optilock Ringmount info needed

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

gdc2

I am trying to find the lowest possible 1" Optilock ringmount available for the L579 action. The only product number I keep seeing is Model No: S1701900 which in some ads is called "LOW" in others it is called "X-LOW" and on the Sako website it looks like the only height available. Does anyone know if this ringmount was ever available in different heights, if so were there different part #'s associated with the different heights. It seems the low is advertised at 27mm which is equivalent to a high ring in most manufacturers spec. If an X-low 1" ringmount was ever available does anyone know the specs. I'm looking to mount a scope with a 36mm objective lens. This mounting system could be great if only Sako would support it with a variety of rings and Beretta USA would know what's going on. It seems the trend is going towards bases and rings which seems to defeat the purpose of an integral base dovetail. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
gdc

Forget the optilocks and go with original sako ringmounts or leupolds. IMO it’s silly to use bases on the sako dovetail. I think original lows rings will work for that objective size others on here can tell you for sure.

Furdown, thanks for the response. I definately do not want the 2 piece base and ring setup. My intention was to use the Sako Optilock 1 piece ringmount, however there seems to be confusion on whether they were offered in different heights as I see X-low advertised in several places including ebay. If you look at the Sako website it only shows one height. Original Sako ringmount ? Is that the older real wide looking mount that I see on Ebay ?

Last edited:
Agree with furdown. Good luck finding extra lows, I tried as well at one point and simply gave up. I have low Optilock (no bases) ringmounts on my wife’s rifle with a 44MM objective lense with room to spare. I wanted extra lows for another rifle. Low Optilock ringmounts with a 36MM objective wouldn’t be my choice for obvious reasons.

I’d also choose either Sako original ringmounts or Leupold ringmounts. You might be okay with lows in the Leupold, but medium in Sako originals is most likely the size you’ll need. Low Sako ringmounts will almost always not work out with any tapered bell.

Sean, Thanks for the reply, yes I see that what Sako calls low is anything but.. however I keep seeing these X-low rings advertised, but when I go to the Sako website there is no mention of different heights. And regardless of what the ad says I only see one part # used for all descriptions which is S1701900 If you type in the product code
PRODUCT CODE : 082442807645 It comes up on other website as "LOW" I dont think the X-low we see advertised really exists

https://www.targetshotguns.com/products/optics-sako-s1701900-082442807645-2675

https://www.snakecreekshootingsports.com/products/optics-sako-s1701900-082442807645-4641

Last edited:
Just buy the Leupold medium ringmounts made for the Sako dovetails for half the money & none of the headaches. Your 36mm objective lens scope will fit nicely. All Optilock mounting systems are terrible & are over priced. The original Sako ringmounts will also work well. They are more money & harder to find than the Leupolds, but the Sakos are windage adjustable. I have both the Sako & the Leupold ringmounts & find no difference in reliability.

Just wanted to update this for anyone curious about the Sako 1" Low Ringmount S1701900. This is a photo of a Vortex Razor 1.5-8X32 mounted with the ringmounts, once the lens covers are installed there is only approx 1/8" clearance on the barrel and the bolt handle just clears the eyepiece. You really could not go any lower. image0-0.jpeg

Just a little more information about Sako Optilock Ring Mount heights. I got the 30mm. Lows which are listed as the lowest 30mm Ring Mounts. There is no extra-low listed for the 30mm. Ring Mounts, although there is an extra-low listed for the Optilock rings that use bases. In any case, I found the height listed for these 30mm. lows to be imprecise. The Sako literature lists them as providing 29 mm. height--from receiver top to middle of ring (center-line of the scope). However, they are actually lower than that. Mine put the center-line of the scope at about 1.04" (26.4 mm.) above the receiver top, rather than the 1.14" listed (29 mm.) This height has worked out pretty well for me as I have mounted a Swarovski Z6 1.7-10 scope that has a 42 mm. objective. I guess an ideal low height might be another .05" or so lower, but the height works well for me with my face shape and cheek weld. Here's what the rig looks like with the Sako Ring Mounts; I wouldn't want to go too much lower:
h6yf8uY.jpg

Last edited:
Sako is paying much more attention to wood than in the past, especially on the Deluxe grade rifles. And they seem to have gotten over the Germanic attachment to skip-line checkering.

Who knows, I might have to break down and acquire an 85.

Sako is paying much more attention to wood than in the past, especially on the Deluxe grade rifles. And they seem to have gotten over the Germanic attachment to skip-line checkering.

Who knows, I might have to break down and acquire an 85.
One you might like is the SAKO 85 Classic Deluxe, if they are still available. It is very much like the deluxe, with the same upgraded wood, but has a classic straight-comb stock, barrel-band sling swivel, and iron sights. I could do without the barrel-band sling swivel and the irons, but the stock lines are very nice.

One you might like is the SAKO 85 Classic Deluxe, if they are still available. It is very much like the deluxe, with the same upgraded wood, but has a classic straight-comb stock, barrel-band sling swivel, and iron sights. I could do without the barrel-band sling swivel and the irons, but the stock lines are very nice.
Thanks. Personally, I like iron sights and barrel-band sling swivels. Makes me feel nostalgic for East Africa, where I spent two very interesting years.

Was skip-line checkering a German thing? I had always thought it originated in France since it is sometimes call French checkering. I know it gained some traction in the 1950s and 60s, but doesn't appear much these days. Anschutz did skip-line with many of their older rimfire rifles, and still does with some of the newer ones. If done well and tastefully, with the diamonds properly pointed up I like it. Done well, it gives some "pop" to the checkering and overall appearance of the stock. Of course, poor skip-line checkering is tacky, but that's true for all checkering.

I kind of like the skip-line checkering on the Sako AV Deluxes. Here are some other rifles with what I consider very-acceptable skip-line checkering.

A Weatherby Mark V Deluxe:
9ty7Xv6.jpg

A Sako L579-actioned Browning Medallion in 22-250 from the 60s or early 70s:
YRCaxkQ.jpg

Another Browning Medallion from the same time period, this one an FN-actioned 7 Rem. Mag.:
mAZjeaz.jpeg

A Browning Midas Superposed 28-gauge shotgun:
5LLAgYf.jpg

A Westley Richards Farquharson New Model 1897 stocked by the great Leonard Mews when he was at Griffin and Howe. (Mews did some of the early stock work for Roy Weatherby.)

dnhLcBF.jpg

vT1PiTl.jpg

Last edited:
South Pender, compliments on these rifles & of course the Browning Midas, a spectacular .28 gauge. The horned toad lizard sculpture a nice touch that threw me off for a second as often seen down here dashing amongst anthills and at times when still being covered in angry red ants. I’m partial to Browning O/U’s and high grade wood so thanks for the photos. Cheers.

Hello Mr. S.P. & friends!
Mr. S.P. You re correct about the skip line checkering. I learned that it's name is "French Fox Track" and I have made it in 2-3- & 4 skip lines on various firearms. It is beautiful if the lines are straight, " Keep your elbow close to your hip". As we all admire beautiful wood grain's natural patterns & colors, we know man made synthetic stocks are better as they do not warp etc. but who can resist the beauty of wood in all its glory, made by the hand of GOD!! B/T

Attachments

• feather crotch (2).jpg
    feather crotch (2).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5586_Momentfinished .jpg
    IMG_5586_Momentfinished .jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5543feather crotch.jpg
    IMG_5543feather crotch.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 8
South Pender, compliments on these rifles & of course the Browning Midas, a spectacular .28 gauge. The horned toad lizard sculpture a nice touch that threw me off for a second as often seen down here dashing amongst anthills and at times when still being covered in angry red ants. I’m partial to Browning O/U’s and high grade wood so thanks for the photos. Cheers.
I should have clarified. Those are not my guns! I just found them when looking for examples of nice skip-line checkering.

LOL. Having future prospects, optimism, good taste & confidence are fairly good traits to have.
Once in awhile they come together as more reasons to not remarry… whatever that means.
(Humor intended)

Latest posts

Back