• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako L579 Forester 22-250

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

ctelford

I acquired this rifle unfired and since I have owned it it has seen approx. 20 rounds put thru the barrel.

Underneath the barrel it is stamped Gracia Sporting Arms Wash, DC.

Does this increase or decrease the value of the firearm?

Thanks Cam

Sorry that should be Garcia Sporting Arms Wash DC (my bad spelling) and the serial number of the rifle is 886xx.

Any info would be appreciated regarding this marking.

Thanks Cam

Your rifle would have originally been imported to the United States, sometime between 1971 and 1978 when the Garcia Arms Corporation (a subdivision of the old Garcia fishing reel company) was the licensed importer to the U.S. I believe that some of Garcia's imports were redistributed to Canada, but whether your rifle came to Canada as a commercial item or as a "walk across" would be hard to say. Before Canada had an "official" Sako distributor there were several individual gun shops, like Ellwood Epps, which imported Sakos directly.

Before 1971 (and beginning in 1968 with the GCA) it would have had an import stamp by Firearms International, and after 1978 it would have had an import stamp from Stoeger Arms. Having the Garcia import stamp has no particular impact on the value of the rifle since rifles a year or so earlier or a couple of years later would have been essentially identical to it. Much more important is its condition, configuration, originality, caliber, and appearance of the wood grain.

Thanks for the awesome explanation Stonecreek!
The rifle is mint and not a mark on it. I acquired it and an 3 lug L61R 264 Win Mag from a local gun enthusiast about 8 years ago. The L61R also sports the same staple underneath the barrel.
I would love to post pictures but do not have enough posts to do so.

Cam

Very nice! Yours is an early Garcia era rifle which retained the fixed sling swivels of the "pre-Garcia" rifles (later rifles used quick-detach studs.) There is no difference in it and one that might have been imported by Firearms International a year or so earlier. The .22-250 usually brings a bit of a premium over .243 and .308 in this model, so double congratulations!

If you go back about four more years from the time your rifle was built the same model would have had a slightly lighter barrel contour, a slimmer stock, and the barrel would be marked "Bofors Steel". These are a bit more sought after, but are very hard to find in the condition that yours is in.

You can get the actual date your rifle was made and shipped, and even a letter of authentication if you want it, from the Club's Factory Records Service.

Nicely put, Stone. I was thinking about the slender Bofors marked Pre-Garcias when I replied. Those will bring a premium, but late-FI / early-Garcia are indeed the same rifle and have the same price tags. Very nice rifle there, ctelford.

Wow, what a wealth of information, thanks and I will take advantage of using Factory Records Service for this rifle and my 264 Win Mag.

Thanks very much I appreciate everyone's replies.

Cam

Latest posts

Back