Polish Your Sako

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by icebear, Aug 1, 2020.

1. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Lately I've been using a product called "Lucas Oil Gun Metal Polish," It is specially formulated for blued finishes, does not remove bluing, and does a nice job of getting accumulated crud and minor corrosion off the exterior of firearms. When you first rub it in, the cloth takes on a reddish color, indicating that some minor surface rust has come off. I like the stuff. I just used it on a Sako and a Tikka that I was working on, and I could easily see the improvement in appearance. It's available from the usual suspects: Brownells, Midway, Amazon, etc.

deergoose, 16b410, Rocky and 3 others like this.

2. sakolou

sakolou Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    Polish, I thought it was Finnish?

susanna likes this.
  3. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Now that's really "baaaaad!"

sakolou likes this.
  4. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    That's a good lead, icebear. According to its ingredients sheet, it contains aluminum oxide, an abrasive. Should that be of any concern, do you think? Your own usage would seem to suggest that it is probably fine on all blued surfaces. I've polished metal surfaces with Renaissance Wax (as well as using it on the wood).

5. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Most metal polishes contain some kind of abrasive. The question is, how much and how fine? It appears to me that the Lucas product has a small amount of very fine abrasive, which if used with reasonable caution should not damage the finish of a gun. Even a very conservative polish like the Lucas will remove bluing if it is deteriorated to the point that it no longer is fully bonded to the surface.

6. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Well, my other love is old cars, the favorite part of which is the engine. Lucas does a super fine job of providing quality products for the car hobby. A good guess would be they do as well a job with rifles. Tanks for the tip, icebear, I plan to try it.