• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

OCW and / or ladder testing the AV 7MM Rem. Mag.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

gowyo

Sako Junkie
Howdy all,
20190802_181232.jpg 20190802_181241.jpg
I drew a sheep tag this year and decided to dust off my AV 7mmRM.

My brother in law is sold on the Berger 168 hunting VLD bullets, so I thought I'd try some. I found a charge of 64.5 grs of VV N165 looked promising, max is 65.3 and 65.5 opened way up. I loaded up various depths and went out today, it was hot and a good breeze picked up by 6pm. After shooing some antelope away, I finished up my three shot groups..can you help me pick the best load...;) This was .035 off the lands. Started out touching. 93 deg F. 100yds.

Here's some pix from the OCW testing a week ago. I picked the second group charge weight. Darn goats. I think they are drawn to bullet seared cardboard...I'm not seeing pressure signs yet, and as I have room in the case, I think I'll try for the next node. And break out the chrony.

Attachments

• 20190723_135205.jpg
    20190723_135205.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190723_125808.jpg
    20190723_125808.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190723_134413.jpg
    20190723_134413.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 28
Here's some pix from the OCW testing a week ago. I picked the second group charge weight. Darn goats. I think they are drawn to bullet seared cardboard...I'm not seeing pressure signs yet, and as I have room in the case, I think I'll try for the next node. And break out the chrony.
I have several 7 mags and all like H4831SC with Barnes 150 gr TSX. Final loads vary from 65 to 66 grains depending on rifle. Sierra game king 150 gr likes the same. These are L61Rs, model 75s ,85s and a couple other manufacturers. All shoot tight groups.

Good luck

The left-most group shows vertical stringing and is about 2", but the next two groups are just an inch, or a tad over, which is excellent for most any game hunting rifle. The "benchrest" group on the right, is, of course, outstanding and in addition to likely being a great load is probably one of those in which your "wibbles" compensated for your "wabbles" and resulted in a one-holer. Shoot a couple of more groups with that load to make sure it's not a fluke and you've got a winner.

For some reason (most likely just happenstance) I've never had much luck getting good accuracy from a 7mm RM. I've owned a couple of them in nice-looking Sakos, but no load I tried would do what I'm used to from a Sako. I've had the same problem with rifles chambered for .300 Win Mag. But I've had great accuracy from Sakos in .264, .300 H&H, and .338, and .375, so it's not a belted magnum problem. It's just that I've happened to have poor luck with those two calibers.

The speed goats seem to favor wandering there at the Stuckenhoff range, ever since it opened.

Stone, that bottom left shot was #1 out of a very clean bore. Then it was one shot per target left to rt..

I bumped this load up 2 full grains and am getting 2950 fps and a 1/2" group. Good enough! I used the Berger ballistics calculator to determine my come ups out to 700 yds. The rifle and Leupold 4.5x14 performed perfectly. This is 3 shots in mildly gusty conditions at 700. )I brought down 6 clicks.) I also had a hopper hunter sharing the range. Do coyotes have two litters a year? This guy was tiny!

Attachments

• 20190828_171923.jpg
    20190828_171923.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190828_171307.jpg
    20190828_171307.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 20
Typically coyotes breed once per year in February or March. Litter size it’s believed depends on the overall population in a given area. If the population is low litter numbers can be higher, or vice versa.

I love my 4.5-14 Leupold too. Nice shooting!

Last edited:
Gowyo, and Stone,
Similar experiences, for my 7 mag it's 150 Noslers pushed by a max load of IMR 4350, BUT I get no where near published velocity. I've never had or known a 7 mag to actually hit what they say it does, It's a little faster than a 270 pushing same weight bullets - that said, I LOVE my 7 mag. I've gt a room full of mounts that'll tell you it does the job,

Stone: 300 Win, I've had excellent results with 165s and 180s again using IMR 4350, And in this case I do hit published velocities.

Latest posts

Back