OCW and / or ladder testing the AV 7MM Rem. Mag.

Discussion in 'Hand loading your Sako' started by gowyo, Aug 3, 2019.

1. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Howdy all,
    20190802_181232.jpg 20190802_181241.jpg
    I drew a sheep tag this year and decided to dust off my AV 7mmRM.

My brother in law is sold on the Berger 168 hunting VLD bullets, so I thought I'd try some. I found a charge of 64.5 grs of VV N165 looked promising, max is 65.3 and 65.5 opened way up. I loaded up various depths and went out today, it was hot and a good breeze picked up by 6pm. After shooing some antelope away, I finished up my three shot groups..can you help me pick the best load...;) This was .035 off the lands. Started out touching. 93 deg F. 100yds.

ricksengines likes this.

2. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Here's some pix from the OCW testing a week ago. I picked the second group charge weight. Darn goats. I think they are drawn to bullet seared cardboard...I'm not seeing pressure signs yet, and as I have room in the case, I think I'll try for the next node. And break out the chrony.

Attached Files:

ricksengines likes this.
  3. Tomball

Tomball Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I have several 7 mags and all like H4831SC with Barnes 150 gr TSX. Final loads vary from 65 to 66 grains depending on rifle. Sierra game king 150 gr likes the same. These are L61Rs, model 75s ,85s and a couple other manufacturers. All shoot tight groups.

Good luck

gowyo likes this.
  4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The left-most group shows vertical stringing and is about 2", but the next two groups are just an inch, or a tad over, which is excellent for most any game hunting rifle. The "benchrest" group on the right, is, of course, outstanding and in addition to likely being a great load is probably one of those in which your "wibbles" compensated for your "wabbles" and resulted in a one-holer. Shoot a couple of more groups with that load to make sure it's not a fluke and you've got a winner.

For some reason (most likely just happenstance) I've never had much luck getting good accuracy from a 7mm RM. I've owned a couple of them in nice-looking Sakos, but no load I tried would do what I'm used to from a Sako. I've had the same problem with rifles chambered for .300 Win Mag. But I've had great accuracy from Sakos in .264, .300 H&H, and .338, and .375, so it's not a belted magnum problem. It's just that I've happened to have poor luck with those two calibers.

5. cwmech

cwmech Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    The speed goats seem to favor wandering there at the Stuckenhoff range, ever since it opened.

6. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Stone, that bottom left shot was #1 out of a very clean bore. Then it was one shot per target left to rt..