Inherited a Forester L579 .22-250. Share what you know!

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by CodeRed, Apr 23, 2020.

1. CodeRed

CodeRed Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    20200423_101848.jpg

Rogan Kinnear and ricksengines like this.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    That's a nice inheritance. We'd need to see a little more detailed photos of it or a more complete description to tell you much. But with the photo blown up I can see that it is topped by an early Leupold 3-9 variable with the 42mm lens. The rings are those made in Spain with a hinge on the LH side and two screws on the RH side of the caps. I've had a few of those and they seem to work okay. It looks to be a late 1960's model since it has no plastic grip cap. It might have the "Bofors Steel" mark on the RH side of the barrel which would make it a little more desirable, although nothing about its shooting qualities would be changed. Underneath the barrel just in front of the forearm if it is was imported before late 1968 you'll find nothing, but if imported after late 1968 you would likely find "Imp. by Firearms International Wash. D.C."

It appears to have had honest use in the field by the loss of bluing around the muzzle and a few nicks on the stock, but is in very nice condition for a 50 year-old rifle. Enjoy.

CodeRed likes this.
  3. CodeRed

CodeRed Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
  4. CodeRed

CodeRed Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
  5. CodeRed

CodeRed Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
  6. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Great! You've got a "Bofors" .22-250. Those are fairly scarce since the Bofors mark was dropped sometime in 1968 meaning that there were only a few years of .22-250 production prior to that -- I think the first Sakos (other than those produced for Browning) chambered in .22-250 came along around 1966.

Your medium-length L579 action will hold five rounds in the magazine and the barrel of your sporter is about 23" long.

You can get full information on its date of production and where and to whom it was originally shipped by clicking the Factory Records Service link on the banner at the top of this page.

CodeRed likes this.
  7. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    can't get much better than that

CodeRed likes this.
  8. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Great rifle for its age, enjoy.
    Great info provided by Stone, again, I like the feed back members get on the site
    By the some of the more senior!? Members.
    Keep up the great work.
    Jay

CodeRed likes this.
  9. Josh361!

Josh361! Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Hey so.how do you know he has a "bofors" if its okay I but in and ask a few questions I have a L579 6mm rem custom built stock and JR Douglas stainless steel barrel but I think the serial number matches a 243. Any info would.be greatly appreciated thank you it was also a inheritance.

Attached Files:

10. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You can see the "Bofors Steel" stamping in the photo. If necessary, click on the photo and it will enlarge to its full size.