• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Inherited a Forester L579 .22-250. Share what you know!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

That's a nice inheritance. We'd need to see a little more detailed photos of it or a more complete description to tell you much. But with the photo blown up I can see that it is topped by an early Leupold 3-9 variable with the 42mm lens. The rings are those made in Spain with a hinge on the LH side and two screws on the RH side of the caps. I've had a few of those and they seem to work okay. It looks to be a late 1960's model since it has no plastic grip cap. It might have the "Bofors Steel" mark on the RH side of the barrel which would make it a little more desirable, although nothing about its shooting qualities would be changed. Underneath the barrel just in front of the forearm if it is was imported before late 1968 you'll find nothing, but if imported after late 1968 you would likely find "Imp. by Firearms International Wash. D.C."

It appears to have had honest use in the field by the loss of bluing around the muzzle and a few nicks on the stock, but is in very nice condition for a 50 year-old rifle. Enjoy.

Great! You've got a "Bofors" .22-250. Those are fairly scarce since the Bofors mark was dropped sometime in 1968 meaning that there were only a few years of .22-250 production prior to that -- I think the first Sakos (other than those produced for Browning) chambered in .22-250 came along around 1966.

Your medium-length L579 action will hold five rounds in the magazine and the barrel of your sporter is about 23" long.

You can get full information on its date of production and where and to whom it was originally shipped by clicking the Factory Records Service link on the banner at the top of this page.

Great rifle for its age, enjoy.
Great info provided by Stone, again, I like the feed back members get on the site
By the some of the more senior!? Members.
Keep up the great work.
Jay

Great! You've got a "Bofors" .22-250. Those are fairly scarce since the Bofors mark was dropped sometime in 1968 meaning that there were only a few years of .22-250 production prior to that -- I think the first Sakos (other than those produced for Browning) chambered in .22-250 came along around 1966.

Your medium-length L579 action will hold five rounds in the magazine and the barrel of your sporter is about 23" long.

You can get full information on its date of production and where and to whom it was originally shipped by clicking the Factory Records Service link on the banner at the top of this page.

Hey so.how do you know he has a "bofors" if its okay I but in and ask a few questions I have a L579 6mm rem custom built stock and JR Douglas stainless steel barrel but I think the serial number matches a 243. Any info would.be greatly appreciated thank you it was also a inheritance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200805-012934_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200805-012934_Photos.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20200804-232841_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200804-232841_Photos.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20200805-012756_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200805-012756_Photos.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20200805-012744_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200805-012744_Photos.jpg