• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

H&R Harrington Richardson Ultra Wildcat 223 Rem Sells Record Price

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

ricksengines

Sako-addicted
As may of you know I am very much a fan of the H&R Ultra Wildcat rifles. One just sold on GunBroker for what I believe is a record price for a standard grade version of this rifle. Check out the link.....

H&R Harrington Richardson Ultra Wildcat 223 Rem

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/778383364

This thing sold for what I believe is a record price. I have never paid more than $1100 to $1200 for one of them. Are these things getting that hard to find that the prices are skyrocketing or are there people coming into the market that are new to collecting them and willing to pay big bucks to get their mitts on one?

rick

Rick,
It's competitive bidding in the heat of the moment that ends up with 2 bidders proving they can outlast the other. Great for sellers. Bad for honest selling and buying, and it's not limited to guns.

Rick,
I left out the fact that the auction house may get 15% or better from the seller and the buyer, so I guess you can say it's good for them because on a $3000 hammer price, they get $900 or so.

I need to clarify. I didn't mean to imply that Gunbroker gets $900 or so on that example I gave. Gunbroker has different rules than most auction houses. But it's still competitive bidding.

Yep. The seller paid the GB fee which isn't any thing close to $900. only proxibid charges crazy buyers premiums like 20% and upward.

rick

I watched that item and was surprised at its final price. However, I do think it illustrates that the .223 is somewhat harder to find in this rifle than the other three calibers. The .17's are the most common (with the wildcat .17-223 bringing a bit less than the standard .17 Remington). I don't see too many .222's, but a few more than in .223.

I also agree that the auction probably represents one of those instances where at least two bidders with relatively deep pockets were both highly interested in a particular item for particular reasons. Such circumstances can yield results somewhat at variance from the norm and aren't necessarily representative of the typical market.

Hi Stone. I agree. The two bidders were obviously going for it. Funny you mentioned the .222. I have never seen the O'Brien clone H&R Ultra Wildcat in .222 on any of the more common auction sites. Yes the long barrel Plain Jane stock versions come up more frequently. But as for the O'Brien clone version they appear to be very scarce in deed.

Also if you look on Guns International there are at least two there with pricy asking prices. I do like these rifles and pay premium prices for examples that are LNIB condition.

In one of my previous posts I did show pics of the one .222 H&R UW that I did manage to glom onto. It is in pretty good shape considering. I did pay a premium for it.

If anyone has one they want to sell please PM me.

rick

Stone,

I think the M317 .222's are a bit more scarce than the .223's.........but I doubt that anyone knows for sure.

Here's a pic of one of my M317P's in .222........shame on the person that added the sling swivel studs.
rm39ra.jpg

I think the M317 .222's are a bit more scarce than the .223's
Could be. I don't see many of either. Seems like .17's pop up with fair regularity.

But I'll admit that I've never seen an Exhibition grade of any caliber show up on any of the sales sites. I suspect their owners keep them until they die. By the way, how's your health, kevin?

Stone,

I'm do'in reasonably ok.........even though it was 112 degrees F today(same as the last 3 days). Watching the house a/c system like a hawk........think I have a fan motor wanting to go out.

BTW.....my granny made it to 100 years young.

Last edited:
BTW.....my granny made it to 100 years young.
My granny made it to just shy of her 105th. So I guess I've got an outside chance at some of your H&R's and O'briens -- if I could remember what they were by that time.:confused:

I just bought the .17 - 223 ultra on the 18 Th. $ 910.00 + 40.00 ship. 270 loaded rounds also For $ 125.00 and 20.00 ship. Yes I got mad and kept bidding for the ammo. I got dies , thousands of bullets , powder galore so I went nuts for a minute when I had bought the rifle and then the shells too. I'm a grow man, but I question my sanity some times. I now do have two of these .. I also have the .17 Mach four that was a re-barrel I bought from 3 plus years ago. I couldn't afford these when I was a working stiff. But I can now.. Funny how he's had 2 of these for sale back to back that close together. Says he buys fine guns and estates also. HMMnnnn. Some one had nice toys.. You only live once guys.. GO FOR IT. NO HEARSES AT THE CEMENTARYS (SP) WITH BRINKS TRUCKS...! I just gave up on spell check guys. Sorry

Great! Sounds like you picked up a fine rifle and the extra goodies will make it really worth while. Please do us all a favor and post some pics of both rifles. We all enjoy seeing what other collectors have added to their collections. I especially would like to see the Mach IV. Enjoy.

Many Thanks

rick

I will post soon. I have the 2 nd on coming on Fed - X Thursday. I will try to get super photo's and may request help here to post them. Bear with me as I didn't realize I had been gone from here about 3 years. I got to wondering where my I con for this site was. Finally went to my handy - dandy hand wrote info on pass words and such. for each site I have used in the past. Thank goodness for old school habits. Pen and Paper.

The Mach 4 I "THINK" is a re - barrel, But not positive. The kid I mentored Duck Calling Passed from circuitous of the liver, so I can't ask for details on it. It is a SHOOTER. I will also post targets with the rifles.

Latest posts

Back