• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Conetrol Rings/Bases value?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

mathp

I have these Conetrol "Gunnur" rings and bases I took off my Sako L579 243 around 1998. My dad purchased them in Aug. 1973 for this Sako, which was one of several rifles he used. I have the receipt that says they are "Low", and boy are they! Let me know what you think they are worth? I can't decide whether to keep them because I am using a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 which has a 50mm outside objective.

50490E72-C136-45CA-AB7B-7F2D145F3083_zpsyjlfeli8.jpg

Because the Conetrols, like the Redfield/Burris mounts for Sakos, use a base on top of the dovetail, they start off a bit higher than some rings. The "low" Conetrol rings will frequently provide adequate clearance for scopes with 40mm objective lenses, depending on where the objective sits in relation to the chamber/barrel taper. However, I doubt that they will clear the 44 mm objective of the scope you wish to use. You can buy a higher ring from Conetrol, which is still in business in Seguin, Texas.

Be forewarned that mounting Conetrol rings is, to say the least, a tedious task. Rotating the scope to proper plumb is what the dictionary uses as an illustration of the word "frustration". Once properly mounted, they are very sleek and without projections.

Last set I got rid of I traded straight across for a set of Leupold's, basically a 40-50 dollar value. To me the phrase's "frustration and PIA" kinda go hand in hand, you either love them or tolerate them. They are pricey if you go the retail route on them, usually north of 100.00 all in.

mathp,

I think I have some Leupold/Sako high rings......if you may be interested in trading.

Stone & Chuck.................well..........

Back