Conetrol Rings/Bases value?

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by mathp, Jun 10, 2014.

1. mathp

mathp Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I have these Conetrol "Gunnur" rings and bases I took off my Sako L579 243 around 1998. My dad purchased them in Aug. 1973 for this Sako, which was one of several rifles he used. I have the receipt that says they are "Low", and boy are they! Let me know what you think they are worth? I can't decide whether to keep them because I am using a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 which has a 50mm outside objective.

[​IMG]

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Because the Conetrols, like the Redfield/Burris mounts for Sakos, use a base on top of the dovetail, they start off a bit higher than some rings. The "low" Conetrol rings will frequently provide adequate clearance for scopes with 40mm objective lenses, depending on where the objective sits in relation to the chamber/barrel taper. However, I doubt that they will clear the 44 mm objective of the scope you wish to use. You can buy a higher ring from Conetrol, which is still in business in Seguin, Texas.

Be forewarned that mounting Conetrol rings is, to say the least, a tedious task. Rotating the scope to proper plumb is what the dictionary uses as an illustration of the word "frustration". Once properly mounted, they are very sleek and without projections.

3. cmjr

cmjr Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Last set I got rid of I traded straight across for a set of Leupold's, basically a 40-50 dollar value. To me the phrase's "frustration and PIA" kinda go hand in hand, you either love them or tolerate them. They are pricey if you go the retail route on them, usually north of 100.00 all in.

4. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    mathp,

I think I have some Leupold/Sako high rings......if you may be interested in trading.

Stone & Chuck.................well..........

5. mathp

mathp Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks for the offer but I went with the low Sako ringmounts, and they are still a little high.