• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Beautiful wood, but... (Seen on Gunbroker)

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

icebear

Sako-addicted
This custom L46 is on Gunbroker. Barreled action looks OK, and the stock has fantastic wood. However, it's got that look from the 50's and 60's with the exaggerated cheekpiece and pistol grip, and oddly shaped forend. And why does anybody put a recoil pad on a .222 anyway? That wood is fantastic and the opening price is right, but I just can't bring myself to bid on it.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/841516918

The wood has some nice figure, but the overall shape & appearance is rather gaudy, IMHO. There will be classier ones come up that your money can be better spent on.

Yeah, see what you mean. Did you see that A1 Deluxe 17 Remington NIB on Gunbroker that had a buy it now price of $1995 and starting bid of $1625? Had box and was unfired. It ended last night, a very lovely gun. I should have grabbed it.... :(

The wood has some nice figure, but the overall shape & appearance is rather gaudy, IMHO. There will be classier ones come up that your money can be better spent on.
We are in agreement on that. I like custom rifles, but my taste runs to conservative, classic stock design. I once bought an FN-Sako in .300 H&H with a rather silly-looking custom stock on it, and rather than spend the money for a replacement top-grade custom stock or an original, I reshaped that one into a sort of a cross between a classic American style and a humpbacked Bavarian style. Looks pretty good, fits me perfectly, and all it cost me was time and the price of a Pachmayr recoil pad.

Icee: You should buy it. Like wide/narrow ties, white sidewall tires, and pastel-colored toilets, this style may come back into vogue someday. They tell me that Gen-Xer's are buying up all of the Danish Modern furniture from the 60's, so it might be a really valuable piece in another 10 years.

Icee: You should buy it. Like wide/narrow ties, white sidewall tires, and pastel-colored toilets, this style may come back into vogue someday. They tell me that Gen-Xer's are buying up all of the Danish Modern furniture from the 60's, so it might be a really valuable piece in another 10 years.
An interesting thought, but with a couple of problems. First, I have to look at the thing for ten years until it comes back into fashion. Second, am I going to live long enough to make money on the deal. Third, am I likely to make enough on the deal in ten years to justify having it clutter up my safe for that length of time.

I happen to be a fan of mid-century modern design (MCM to the cognoscenti). I have a collection of MCM glassware, mostly from Finland, and my good china (used for entertaining when I was in the diplomatic service) is Suomi by Tapio Wirkkala. We just had our annual mid-century modern festival in Tucson, and I bought a few small items (wine glasses and a candelabra). Up in Phoenix they have a shopping district with several antique shops specializing in MCM. The attraction of MCM is the same as that of the classic American rifle stock - a simple, unadorned shape that shows off the wood grain or metal finish to best advantage. My favorite phrase in describing MCM/Scandinavian design is "The shape is the statement." The excessive elaboration of cheekpiece, pistol grip, fore-end, etc. of the Weatherby-era custom stocks is directly counter to the MCM aesthetic. For the same reason, I loathe fleur-de-lis and skip-line checkering.

Danish Modern was my first furniture after getting out of college and getting a decent job. I got a bit tired of looking at teak veneer, but the aesthetic of simple lines to show off the grain of the wood has stuck with me all my life. It is in the front of my consciousness when I am crafting a stock or pistol grips.

Last edited:
The rifle finally sold for the minimum bid of $875, after at least one relisting. That was a gorgeous piece of wood; I'd have grabbed the gun in a heartbeat if it had been a classic stock design without all the curlicues.

Latest posts

Back