• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Changes in Quality of Sako Actions over Time

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

0c82c743610c5f6e1771429857ad0839.jpg

...the design is very simplistic and a little "agricultural". ...whether you like the design is another thing altogether.

Put me down as one vote for liking the simplistic and a little "agricultural" design. I've never liked streamlined rifles...bullets okay...not rifles. Unless it is truly ergonomic, "streamlined" rifle design makes about as much sense as the "streamlined" Art Deco radios and lamps from the 1930's.

Last edited:
Here are some examples of what I was talking about with regard to early L46 rifles. The rifle is hardly "polished" in finish or design.
Would that ugly step in the barrel contour be seen or considered acceptable on today's Sako rifles? There are machining marks along the entire barrel length and I am not sure if any of the metalwork has been polished at all.
d6c59ece14eb11d020515882d732a890.jpg

What about the tick marks on the trigger guard? Or even the fact that it's a two piece design where a one piece trigger guard/magazine surround would be the superior design.
74fcd1bd4abf872936c29e5d5b3be308.jpg

A gas vent and stamping in exactly the same location? Not real slick.
0c82c743610c5f6e1771429857ad0839.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I love owning and shooting this rifle (it's been my choice to hunt with more often than not recently) but it's an example of the still developing L46 design during the early civilian days of Sako rifle production. Because of that, the quality isn't quite what we might expect from Sako.

Leaving the finish and machining out of the equation, the design is very simplistic and a little "agricultural". Compared to a Mod 85 bolt shroud, it's quite obvious that the later rifle has more attention paid to the design.
Whether you like the design is another thing altogether.
5c06e4f3441bdc941ac04f500093fd51.jpg

Again, I've got to say that I appreciate them all and I think it's not as simple as saying that the quality has dropped over the years. They aren't plasticky rubbish now but they weren't perfect back then either!
They are higher than average quality for the times but are still made to use and be practical rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent post. Provides perspective on the whole issue.

Last edited:
I am from the metal industry. With this in mind and with the hands on experience I have with manual and CNC machinery, I am fine with rifle manufacturers using CNC to make the barrels, but I feel that too much trust has been given to CNC machines for other parts of a rifle. I think if Sako had kept the manual machining of receivers, the quality may have been improved rather than improved in one area and reduced in say like the two piece recoil lug design area. Drilling a barrel and machining something like a receiver, the CNC machine has its place right at home with a barrel, but I am not confident in CNC to say the same about a receiver, on bolt action anyways. Rifle makers before CNC came along are true artists. I would not even know where to begin in order to keep the bore center...lol
Now I want to say this though, the people manufacturing the Sako's back then were truly talented with what they had to make such gorgeous rifles. Truly pieces of art. And Sako is just one example. I seen some other firearms that have unbelievable ornate engravings that deserve all that ooh and ahh!

Sako barrels have been hammer forged since sometime in the 1950's. Hammer forging has been going on long before CNC machining came into existence and doesn't involve any CNC machining to my knowledge.

Sako barrels have been hammer forged since sometime in the 1950's. Hammer forging has been going on long before CNC machining came into existence and doesn't involve any CNC machining to my knowledge.

I was talking to a Berretta Rep and a Gander Mountain salesman at Gander Mountain about year to year half ago, They both reassured me that new 85's are CNC machined and the Rep was pretty sure the 75's were too, I took this like a grain of salt. I was putting a deposit on a 85 Varmint and so they could have just been trying to make a sale off me. This was when I found the video on Nathan Foster's site when he was unable to accurize the 85. I got my deposit back the next week.

I was talking to a Berretta Rep and a Gander Mountain salesman at Gander Mountain about year to year half ago, They both reassured me that new 85's are CNC machined and the Rep was pretty sure the 75's were too, I took this like a grain of salt. I was putting a deposit on a 85 Varmint and so they could have just been trying to make a sale off me. This was when I found the video on Nathan Foster's site when he was unable to accurize the 85. I got my deposit back the next week.
Sako began CNC machining in 1985, 11 years before the 75 & 15 years before Beretta. Referring to your earlier post, I know of no gun maker that uses CNC to make barrels. Can't imagine CNC would be a very efficient way to make barrels.

The world has changed and Sako has had to change to be viable.
Sako has always been a quality but affordable rifle that can be purchased by people of "normal means". Much better than the budget brands but not bespoke either.
What price would be on the tag of a factory but hand machined and fitted rifle these days?
I don't know of a modern equivalent but it would price most shooters out of the market and Sako would become a small and obscure brand, if it survived.
Sako was the rifle of choice for pro roo and fox shooters in the 60s-80s here in Oz because it was quality and they could justify the dollars spent. These days, as a pro shooter myself, I think the modern Sakos fall into the exact same slot in the market. It's just that the market is different than it used to be.

Reactions: BFK
The world has changed and Sako has had to change to be viable.
Sako has always been a quality but affordable rifle that can be purchased by people of "normal means". Much better than the budget brands but not bespoke either.
What price would be on the tag of a factory but hand machined and fitted rifle these days?
I don't know of a modern equivalent but it would price most shooters out of the market and Sako would become a small and obscure brand, if it survived.
Sako was the rifle of choice for pro roo and fox shooters in the 60s-80s here in Oz because it was quality and they could justify the dollars spent. These days, as a pro shooter myself, I think the modern Sakos fall into the exact same slot in the market. It's just that the market is different than it used to be.

This is an excellent point. I think this is also a great example of how diluted the dollar has become. People say you get all this and all that and save money. Personally, I think we get far less for way more money. The ratio of quality to dollar has gone to squat. I honestly do not think that quality standards have kept up with inflation rates at all. Sako has done its best for many many years as business with a targeted customer. If Sako manufactured rifles today the way they use to manufacture rifles decades ago they may have had to close their doors years ago due to price creep of the rifles. To keep that market of customers coming back, unfortunately they too have had to replace older business practices with modern practices to keep prices competitive....in other words drop the quality standards here and there and lowering profit margins just a hair here and there. Eventually this catches up to a business and are only left to subbing most stuff out to importing from assembly line manufacturing practices over seas. Once a product does not pass through a company's/owners/inventors/ hands any longer, quality control goes out the window. Next thing you know you buy from McRifle on McRfifle.com

If Sako manufactured rifles today the way they use to manufacture rifles decades ago they may have had to close their doors years ago due to price creep of the rifles. To keep that market of customers coming back, unfortunately they too have had to replace older business practices with modern practices to keep prices competitive....

Sako didn't make rifles years ago to be competitive. They made rifles because that is what they knew how to do. Cheapening the rifle to be competitive is only a reason to try and get a Ruger buyer to look at buying a Sako. That is not what Sako was in the 60's, 70's and 80's. I think it is more what they have become, not to stay competitive in the quality of the build, but to meld into the current mindset that a rifle is a tool and that is what the current buyer is wanting.

People with class will always buy good stuff, and most of what is being produced today is not of that same quality. I am still looking for Sako rifles, but not in the crap that is being currently put out under the same name...

Craftsman to innovation.
The design of the first L46 to match receiver size to catridge was a great idea and put together by a group of true craftsman. These being me favorite. Quality is high with the finish being less in focus.
The early L461 and L579 are real nice. But then came the "logs" at least the L579 have a much heavier barrel then needed on a sporter. I think this was to keep up with accuracy, just my opinion.
The A series came with some nice refinements; mostly the stock but also a pencil barrel.
The 491 and 591 the quality is there but the design was something else.
75 is an OK come back with the 3 lugs and removable mag but the checkering and metal finish is cheap looking. The HB are just big, i think they over compensated but they make great target rifles.
85 I really like. The varmint series with the slimmed down the stock so they can be carried is near perfect. The mag release is also a good idea and I am sure if that was on the L46's they wouldnt have changed to the drop down floor plate.

All great rifles! Quality and innovation.
Chris

I have read the 85's have extraction issues.. is this something that is true or blown Out of proportion. If they did have they been rectified? I ask because I just got a sako 85 varmint 308 because I got tired of the issues I was having with my Remingtons and my gunsmith said sako is the best production rifle period...

I have read the 85's have extraction issues.. is this something that is true or blown Out of proportion. If they did have they been rectified? I ask because I just got a sako 85 varmint 308 because I got tired of the issues I was having with my Remingtons and my gunsmith said sako is the best production rifle period...
We have two M-85 Finnlight SS 7 mm mags. Never had any problems with these two rifles whatsoever. Both are very accurate with our hand loads. Our hunting environment is very dusty which can be harsh on any gun. We ( my son and I) have quite a few Sakos so we have good performance data.

We have two M-85 Finnlight SS 7 mm mags. Never had any problems with these two rifles whatsoever. Both are very accurate with our hand loads. Our hunting environment is very dusty which can be harsh on any gun. We ( my son and I) have quite a few Sakos so we have good performance data.

Tha is for the reply. I know how the internet can be and I know every product can have its issues I was just hoping this isn't a rifle I'm going to be disappointed with and have problems especially since the amount it costs.

Hello! My name is Edward. I want to advise an excellent company for the production of high-quality plywood. You can buy it here. Plywood of all shapes and sizes! www . plyterra . com

Latest posts

Back