• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

The future for Sako Oy

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

They really aren’t better than the Talley’s for most applications. I only have EAW on a dangerous game 458 Win Mag custom Mauser, and for that they are great to very quickly get to the express sights if needed.
Are they easier or quicker to remove than tipping off the Talley rings?

I suppose the same analogy could be made of the choice of Sako rifles quality over Remington, or calibers, or telescopic scopes. Personal choices vary over cost, quality, sufficiency, appearance, and whatever one is comfortable with.

Thanks guys, a lot of info here that I didn't know.

My experience with European mounts is mainly with the Suhl-type claw mounts and the EAW swing mounts. Claw mounts offer easy on/off and good return to zero, but they are expensive, often require a lot of hand fitting, and tend to mount the scope very high above the bore. And although they are supposed to allow full use of the iron sights, this is not always the case. The EAW swing mounts just attach like any other scope mount and are easy to work with, but they also mount the scope high above the bore axis. I've also had problems with them interfering with the use of the open sights. EAW mounts are expensive. There is a clone made somewhere in eastern Europe that works well and costs about half as much, but is not as robust. I've used those successfully on an FN-Sako, but they interfered with the iron sights.

Warne used to make an excellent QR setup for Sako dovetails. Unfortunately, the Warne QR rings are discontinued. They do make a similar setup for CZ dovetails, which have an indexing pin on the rear dovetail.

Quick-detach mounts, swing-over mounts, see-through mounts and all of the other types of mounts that allow fairly quick use of iron sights are vestiges of when scopes were sometimes unreliable, didn't hold zero, or fogged due to poor sealing. Almost anyone's scope sold these days has none of those issues -- and a large percentage of rifles have no irons, anyway.

The one useful feature of a return-to-zero detachable mount is for transportation when someone other than yourself may be handling the case your rifle is transported in. Removing the scope allows the case to be more compact and helps keep it from being damaged.

Quick-detach mounts, swing-over mounts, see-through mounts and all of the other types of mounts that allow fairly quick use of iron sights are vestiges of when scopes were sometimes unreliable, didn't hold zero, or fogged due to poor sealing. Almost anyone's scope sold these days has none of those issues -- and a large percentage of rifles have no irons, anyway.

The one useful feature of a return-to-zero detachable mount is for transportation when someone other than yourself may be handling the case your rifle is transported in. Removing the scope allows the case to be more compact and helps keep it from being damaged.
A valid analysis. However, I still like QR setups on a rifle with iron sights. The scope on my CZ 527 in .22 Hornet is in Warne QR rings because I like to use the open sights for plinking. I don't expect to have to remove the scope in the field, but I do want to be able to take it on and off without having to rezero.

Thanks guys, a lot of info here that I didn't know.

My experience with European mounts is mainly with the Suhl-type claw mounts and the EAW swing mounts. Claw mounts offer easy on/off and good return to zero, but they are expensive, often require a lot of hand fitting, and tend to mount the scope very high above the bore. And although they are supposed to allow full use of the iron sights, this is not always the case. The EAW swing mounts just attach like any other scope mount and are easy to work with, but they also mount the scope high above the bore axis. I've also had problems with them interfering with the use of the open sights. EAW mounts are expensive. There is a clone made somewhere in eastern Europe that works well and costs about half as much, but is not as robust. I've used those successfully on an FN-Sako, but they interfered with the iron sights.

Warne used to make an excellent QR setup for Sako dovetails. Unfortunately, the Warne QR rings are discontinued. They do make a similar setup for CZ dovetails, which have an indexing pin on the rear dovetail.

You are thinking of Rusan in Croatia which are basically an identical clone of the EAW. I have both, and the parts are all interchangeable between them believe it or not.

In my opinion, these types of mounts are most viable on rifles to be used in Africa as they allow for quick access to irons and also being able to keep your scopes in carry on bags separate from rifles.

Here is my EAW equipped Hambrusch Mauser with my L61R for reference. It’s a 458 Magnum. IMG_3359.jpeg

Last edited:
You are thinking of Rusan in Croatia which are basically an identical clone of the EAW. I have both, and the parts are all interchangeable between them believe it or not.
Not quite. The ring screws are different - the ones on the EAW are larger in diameter. I forget the exact sizes. There are some other minor differences but that's the easy way to tell the difference. I had a long phone discussion with the owner of New England Custom Gunsmithing about a problem I was having with the clones. At the time I did not know about the clones. He helped me out and told me about the difference in ring screws. I have verified this with a thread gauge; at the time I had examples of both. I have also forgotten exactly what the problem was with the clones. As previously mentioned, I had them on an FN-Sako for a while but replaced them with original Sako rings to get a lower head position. The Sako rings return to zero just fine; you just have to have a Weaver ring tool to R&R the scope.

A valid analysis. However, I still like QR setups on a rifle with iron sights. The scope on my CZ 527 in .22 Hornet is in Warne QR rings because I like to use the open sights for plinking. I don't expect to have to remove the scope in the field, but I do want to be able to take it on and off without having to rezero.
Like the QR Warnes a lot on my CZ 527's. Not because of being able to use iron sights, but because I like to switch scopes for different hunting scenarios. None my CZ 527's have iron sights, but they ALL have Warne QR scope rings!!

Not quite. The ring screws are different - the ones on the EAW are larger in diameter. I forget the exact sizes. There are some other minor differences but that's the easy way to tell the difference. I had a long phone discussion with the owner of New England Custom Gunsmithing about a problem I was having with the clones. At the time I did not know about the clones. He helped me out and told me about the difference in ring screws. I have verified this with a thread gauge; at the time I had examples of both. I have also forgotten exactly what the problem was with the clones. As previously mentioned, I had them on an FN-Sako for a while but replaced them with original Sako rings to get a lower head position. The Sako rings return to zero just fine; you just have to have a Weaver ring tool to R&R the scope.
Oh I didn’t know that about the screw pitch! If it came from Mark at NECG then it’s gospel, he’s knows these better than anyone in US.

Just for fun, here's a custom FN-Sako with three different scope setups.

1. As originally purchased with Talley mounts and rings. Mount interfered with iron sights, so I filed a notch in the rear mount to serve as a rear sight. Worked reasonably well. 300 Old Scope Mounts 1.JPG
300 Old Scope Mounts 2.JPG

2. Rifle with EAW-clone swing mount. Too high and interfered with iron sights. Both this and the Talley setup were attached directly to the receiver.
300 New Scope 1a.jpg

3. Rifle with Minox scope in traditional Sako rings, attached to Sako adapter bases on the receiver. Note much lower position.
300 w:Minox 1.JPG

Sako did offer a custom shop version of the 85 they called something like their 'Premier' series, available by special order. It included some options like upgraded wood, engraving, choice of barrel lengths, and other features. Here’s one currently for sale:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...2-layaway-available.cfm?gun_id=102640614#lg-7

I don't know whether they're offering the 90 with these upgrades.

Last edited:
Yes, Sako did. Not a fan of engraving but a fantastic exhibition grade wood. A hit or miss if not able to choose the wood, but Sako has removed this “custom shop” build feature which was of no consequence to prospective customers as they never responded to non-dealers was what I saw.
I hope they bring a workable version back with the model 90. I saw a Safari .300 H&H Magnum in model 85 from their custom shop awhile back. IMG_1227.png

Latest posts

Back