• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

The future for Sako Oy

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Arian

So there have been some worrying signals here in Finland that have raised questions in my hunting club about how long Sako will cater to hunters in the future.

Not me ringing some alarm bell, just wondering what others think.

Sakos ammo prices have been climbing and comercial supply shrinking, production lines are closing or at least reducing for many calibers.

layoffs at the factory.

and all of The northern european and baltic armed forces are flooding in orders for ammo and guns, particularly sniper rifles.

This has some of us Finnish hunters concerned Sako will turn into a military arsenal and comercial production only some side cash.

The tikka line appears unaffected tho

The Tikka T3 is notable for being the first million models sold for Sako/Tikka..maybe one reason why Tikka is not wavering as of now.
On the other hand..Sako has really always been associated with military weapons and munitions. Beretta may have other plans.

Last edited:
The civilian firearms sales of the Beretta conglomerate is insignificant compared to its military and/or police sales -- and always has been. Nothing has changed, other than military demand has increased with current events -- and hopefully will decrease sometime in the future for the same reasons.

When items like brass, copper, and nitrocellulose are in high demand (and consequently short supply), arms and ammunition companies are obviously going to take care of their primary customers -- governments -- first, and recreational shooters latter.

The bigger question is not ammunition or availability of sporting rifles, but whether any company will find it profitable to manufacture sporting rifles in the future. Every year there are fewer hunters, and every year there are more rifles and shotguns -- those which are currently manufactured and thousands of used sporting firearms which come to the market due to the shrinking number of hunters (mostly due to mortality, or at least disability).

For instance, just look at what most on this forum primarily want to buy: Sakos which are 50, 60, and 70 years old. And for the most part very few of those decades old Sakos ever "go away" as in become lost, damaged, or otherwise taken from service. As a result, the universe of sporting firearms is growing faster than the market for them. Of course, many of us are doing all we can to absorb that surplus and keep the market in balance.😇

The rising prices of Sako hunting rifles might be to blame as well. 2 grand for a new Sako 85 and almost 3 grand for a 90 is cost-prohibitive for a lot especially younger folk. I recently bought a Ruger American Gen. II in .308 for less than 7 bones, and's good-to-go for the money.

The rising prices of Sako hunting rifles might be to blame as well. 2 grand for a new Sako 85 and almost 3 grand for a 90 is cost-prohibitive for a lot especially younger folk. I recently bought a Ruger American Gen. II in .308 for less than 7 bones, and's good-to-go for the money.

yea unfortunately this is true, Sako is suffering from what i call the Finnish stagnation. Just like our education, welfare and healthcare Finland and Finnish companies that where the best 2 decades ago seem to a bit stuck in the past.

Heresy perhaps but if i where to buy a brand new rifle today it would be the new CZ or a Sabatti. From what i can tell comparing the 75 85 and 90 to the CZ rifles to pick ond it doesnt seem to be worth the extra 1000 euro to pick sako over their competitors unless you are a collector. The Tikka t3x has the pragmatic hunter well covered and for those with a hunger for wood there is the t3x in wood stock, The CZ line and the Sauer rifles in wood stock. All of wich you could buy 2 of in Finland for the price of a sako 90

The news said the temporary layoffs are because of decline in the market. I hear it is universal problem in the outdoors industry after the big boom of the pandemic years. Even so, the launch events for the past 3 new Sakos have been rather bland. And that mess with the model 85 being phased out in secret something like whole year before the launch of model 90 was just some special kind of stupid.

The news said the temporary layoffs are because of decline in the market. I hear it is universal problem in the outdoors industry after the big boom of the pandemic years. Even so, the launch events for the past 3 new Sakos have been rather bland. And that mess with the model 85 being phased out in secret something like whole year before the launch of model 90 was just some special kind of stupid.
i am new to rifles but having done alot of homework before buying my first one i have come to believe that there really isnt mutch innovation anyway beyond ergonomics and aestethics. my l61r shoots no worse than a tikka t3x or sako 75 and while i havent tried a 85 or 90 i see nothing that is a direct upgrade to the 85.
If anything brands are downgrading (looking at you Mauser). Only CZ has impressed me and others in my club. But they had something to improve on, they took the cz550 era line known to be reliable, accurate and rough around the edges, and all they seem to have done is modernise the ergonomics and polish up the fit and finish a little. Those 457 rimfires are taking finland by storm and the 600 line offers all the configurations one could wish for.

To me when i think Sako i see the vintage rifles in my minds eye.

Lüke & Ortmeier Gruppe (L&O) of Germany own Rigby, Mauser, Sauer & Blaser. CZ, a Czech company owns Colt, while the Italian Beretta owns Sako.
Ownership should entail more than profit in manufacturing as a wide loyal customer base is sustaining although not the size of governmental contracts.
I have yet to hear positive or helpful assistance coming from Beretta in the US. I have unsuccessfully tried to order a custom rifle in the caliber of my choice from Sako for several years & they have removed their Custom website with an “available later” promise. I would like to buy a model 90 because of the new trigger design but not from their current models or calibers, i.e., 6.5x55 preferred.
I tried to get information from Beretta USA on a Sako rifle I have and the response was that Sako did not make or import the rifle. Eventually I identified the model on this forum with the help of a Finnish member, a Sako AII Target model with a stainless steel barrel that shoots incredibly well. I have now added two more Sako Target models after knowing what they were, true factory builds and not custom builds.
I recently ordered a 7x57, a 8x57 & a 9.3x62 from Mauser in their new 98 action that I would have ordered from Sako if it had been practicable. Time and age being factors as I want to use them in the field.
I hope or wish Sako would improve their customer relations.
My 2 cents…

Last edited:
Lüke & Ortmeier Gruppe (L&O) of Germany own Rigby, Mauser, Sauer & Blaser. CZ, a Czech company owns Colt, while the Italian Beretta owns Sako.
Ownership should entail more than profit in manufacturing as a wide loyal customer base is sustaining although not the size of governmental contracts.
I have yet to hear positive or helpful assistance coming from Beretta in the US. I have tried to order a custom rifle in the caliber of my choice from Sako for several years & they have removed their Custom website with a “available later” promise. I would like to buy a model 90 because of the new trigger design but not from their current models.
I tried to get information from Beretta USA on a Sako rifle I have and the response was that Sako did not make or import the rifle. Eventually I identified the model on this forum with the help of a Finnish member, a Sako AII Target model with a stainless steel barrel that shoots incredibly well. I have now added two more Sako Target models after knowing what they were, true factory builds and not custom builds.
I recently ordered a 7x57, a 8x57 & a 9.3x62 from Mauser in their new 98 action that I would have ordered from Sako if it had been practicable. I hope or wish Sako would improve their customer relations.
My 2 cents…
mauser has a new 98 model? the m18 completely threw me off their brand, even for the lower price i can buy an italian gun for half the price and double the quality. As for Sako,i havent handled the 90 model but my l61 only took a bit of polishing with a knife stopping compound and some screw turning to achieve a trigger i wouldnt ever pay to have upgraded personally. There is the chance ofcourse that my trigger isnt factory tho, i wouldnt know how to spot that

i have come to believe that there really isnt mutch innovation anyway beyond ergonomics and aestethics. my l61r shoots no worse than a tikka t3x or sako 75 and while i havent tried a 85 or 90 i see nothing that is a direct upgrade to the 85.
There have been some incremental improvements in powders since the late 1890's, and telescopic sights are a great deal better, but there have been absolutely no improvements in the design of cartridge-firing rifles in the last 125 years. Sure, manufacturers have modernized designs and equipment so that they can be produced by automated machines for less money, but no better than hand-machined firearms of yesteryear.

I'm amazed at how the industry has finessed much of the buying public into accepting and even preferring firearms made as cheaply as possible with black plastic and aluminum parts. An AR-15-type rifle costs a tiny fraction to produce compared to a quality wood-stocked bolt action, but they sell for similar money. It's easy to see why the industry works so hard to promote "Modern Sporting Rifles", "Chassis Rifles", and plastic pump shotguns with 8-round magazines, otherwise know as cheap crap.

Guys, not that one!!!!! Although I did get to upgrade the wood. I’ve got a few more hunts to make afterall.
That anniversary model may be the most beautiful rifle I’ve seen, period, but no new mortgages for me.
I’ve got no responsibilities in the descendant category, so I’ve decided to spare little to temptation. I would like to hand my last dime to the undertaker as a final gesture, so to speak.

oh those special editions! i have eyed them before buying my Sako and let roll a tear when i realised they cost more than my House and car combined.

For a moment i hoped mauser released some new working mans 98 like the CZ550 rifles. Mauser really lost my respect with the m18 model. I love my Sako but i prefer mauser actions and as a history nerd a true 98 rifle with flag safety but modern sporter quality fit and finish would tempt me to take out a loan if needed 🤣 iam eyeing the Irm Hermann k98 built manlichers that float around Finland for that reason.

Guys, not that one!!!!! Although I did get to upgrade the wood. I’ve got a few more hunts to make afterall.
That anniversary model may be the most beautiful rifle I’ve seen, period, but no new mortgages for me.
I’ve got no responsibilities in the descendant category, so I’ve decided to spare little to temptation. I would like to hand my last dime to the undertaker as a final gesture, so to speak.
Hopefully that dime will fall behind many more years of inflation! Live well and live long!!

Latest posts

Back