• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

greetings from Finland, from a Dutchman

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

overoiling by the previous owner causes the screws to come out of The Wood after a few shots.
This is not difficult to fix. The easiest solution is to clean up the screw holes and fill them with wood shavings from a matchstick, toothpick, etc. This may provide enough friction to keep the screws from backing out. If that fails, it may be possible to clean up the screw holes, fill them with an epoxy-based wood filler, then drill pilot holes and reinstall the screws. Or, you could drill out the screw holes, glue in dowels, and re-drill the pilot holes.The ultimate fix would be screw-in metal inserts, but that's probably unnecessary.

yea, and it has more issues, had it checked out this morning, overoiling by the previous owner causes the screws to come out of The Wood after a few shots. I fear i payed 800 for a lemon there. Cant entirely fault the rifle, previous owner did a great job intentionally covering up the issues. dont think i can ethically sell it like this so its going to the smith as well. Hopefully its going to be an easy fix. I havent actually owned any rifles before last season and only handled museum pieces so iam learning the hard way what to look for in a used rifle.
Hello Arian.
Working with oil soaked wood is a challenge, some times you can have good results by boiling the wood to remove the oil from the wood. This may not be possible due to the size of the wood? Try to soak the areas with hot water rags & let it drain several times. When wood is as dry as possible, next take a solvent like xylene, acetone etc. & repeat soaking & draining several times. This method may remove enough oil to allow an epoxy/wood saw dust mixture to bond & fill the holes , then install the screws. This method has worked for me a few times, depending on how oil soaked the wood is. It is worth a try! Best of luck!! B/T

have only 1 rifle at them moment my a3, husky is marked as a military mauser but in sporter stock and chambered in 9.3x62, unfortunately at the gunsmith at the moment due to what appears to be a small crack in The front ring and Will likely be left there if repair cost exceeds The Price of a 1600 in 6.5x55 Otherwise i have a tikka m97 shotgun in 12/76 and my real game getter a husky 310as from 1912. laws here require a shooting test for rifles and i picked up my first rifle after those past last year so shotgun only challenge. The husky took 2 roe deer, one White tail and 57 hare. Il find some pictures when i retun from my hunt, last days of hare season here. Got the 310as with me, for a shotgun it has some crazy range.
We are awash with Swedish 6.5x55s here in Canada. They all came-over in containers from Sweden. Just for interests sake, look at the "Intersurplus" website from Quebec. They are easy to deal with but I have no Idea how it would be to import into Finland. They have sold lots of old Husqvarna shotguns here as well. I have re-chambered a lot of them to 70mm for people. I am even further thrown-back as far as throwbacks are concerned because , when the weather is nice, I take-out my old WW Greener, "The Trap Gun" and kill things with Bismuth. My son was picking-up the decoys with my Ruger Red Label, Stainless stalker when a big Canada Goose came down the creek. I pointed-it out to the boy while shouldering the Greener and thumbing my hammers back, but let him have a go. The goose was so close, he had no pattern and missed , clean with either barrel. I picked it-up with the Full and Full choked Greener and one, 2 and- one half-inch, #6 Bismuth up the backside folded-it up at 27 yards, so badly, it did not even twitch! Pattern Kills.

We are awash with Swedish 6.5x55s here in Canada. They all came-over in containers from Sweden. Just for interests sake, look at the "Intersurplus" website from Quebec. They are easy to deal with but I have no Idea how it would be to import into Finland. They have sold lots of old Husqvarna shotguns here as well. I have re-chambered a lot of them to 70mm for people. I am even further thrown-back as far as throwbacks are concerned because , when the weather is nice, I take-out my old WW Greener, "The Trap Gun" and kill things with Bismuth. My son was picking-up the decoys with my Ruger Red Label, Stainless stalker when a big Canada Goose came down the creek. I pointed-it out to the boy while shouldering the Greener and thumbing my hammers back, but let him have a go. The goose was so close, he had no pattern and missed , clean with either barrel. I picked it-up with the Full and Full choked Greener and one, 2 and- one half-inch, #6 Bismuth up the backside folded-it up at 27 yards, so badly, it did not even twitch! Pattern Kills.
importing is a bit of a no go, i could drive across the border in Tornio and probably find them all over Sweden but the paperwork and import put the price ans hassle out of my range. If i had 2k to spend on a rifle i could just order a Sako 85 in any caliber from my local gunstore. The old mausers are plentiful as well but i would have to sporterise it for my purposes and thars something i just cant do 😭.

For my old husqvarna shotgun i find shells make the difference, i keep one barrel loaded with a Hull three crowns paper cartridge and another with a handloaded brass shell filled with cut up lead wire. The cut up wire patterns like a modified choke and has plenty of killing power. Right now i have a rare tikkakoski side by side in my sighs for 200 euro. Sako and tikka oficially never made those iam told but they pop up every now and then as one offs, just like odd rifle configurations.

While getting firearms in European countries isnt as hard as alot of people overseas tend to think depending on the country, the paperwork can be prohibitive especially on import. Its usually only deemed worth it when it concerns some rare collectible or when seriously competing in sports.

Hello Arian.
Working with oil soaked wood is a challenge, some times you can have good results by boiling the wood to remove the oil from the wood. This may not be possible due to the size of the wood? Try to soak the areas with hot water rags & let it drain several times. When wood is as dry as possible, next take a solvent like xylene, acetone etc. & repeat soaking & draining several times. This method may remove enough oil to allow an epoxy/wood saw dust mixture to bond & fill the holes , then install the screws. This method has worked for me a few times, depending on how oil soaked the wood is. It is worth a try! Best of luck!! B/T
my gunsmith came to a similar conclusion, exept he doesnt think its worth it due to the extent of the damage. He proposes to take a router to that whole part of the stock and glueing in a hardwood insert and then re-routing the channel for the metal connector etc. The previous owner shot it without the screw tightened so the round bedding for the metal is now a long oval and he feels no screw is going to survive the recoil without bedding the connector properly. Because it was shot that way the metal has also worn a chunk out of the barrel. the barrel band screw channel is also worn out and overoiled, so basically part of the stock would need to be replaced with wooden inserts and re-routed and while probably safe to shoot, the barrel has a good millimetee gauged out of the bottom wich he suspects would influence how the barrel flexes.

I think il have to take wathever money he can offer me for it and just take my loss on this one. While i love the carbine and it can work perfectly if well kept i feel they just have too many moving parts for my all purpose 2 weeks in Lapland kind of hunts.

The shop here does have one in unshot condition in .223 for 2.4k tho that will likely not be sold anytime soon so iam keeping a place in the safe for that one. I still need a good grouse rifle. Here in Finland the full stock rifles have never been popular and nowadays seen as an expensive but unreliable novelty. While this particular rifle was just abused by its owner there is some historical reasoning behind it as well. Our winters can go from arctic cold to slushy half frozen mud in a matter of days at any point in the season. This is why Sako and Tikka started lapping bolts and sanding stocks on captured rifles in the first place. Cold caused the actions to jam and no amount of care and grease kept the mud out of the stocks.

importing is a bit of a no go, i could drive across the border in Tornio and probably find them all over Sweden but the paperwork and import put the price ans hassle out of my range. If i had 2k to spend on a rifle i could just order a Sako 85 in any caliber from my local gunstore. The old mausers are plentiful as well but i would have to sporterise it for my purposes and thars something i just cant do 😭.

For my old husqvarna shotgun i find shells make the difference, i keep one barrel loaded with a Hull three crowns paper cartridge and another with a handloaded brass shell filled with cut up lead wire. The cut up wire patterns like a modified choke and has plenty of killing power. Right now i have a rare tikkakoski side by side in my sighs for 200 euro. Sako and tikka oficially never made those iam told but they pop up every now and then as one offs, just like odd rifle configurations.

While getting firearms in European countries isnt as hard as alot of people overseas tend to think depending on the country, the paperwork can be prohibitive especially on import. Its usually only deemed worth it when it concerns some rare collectible or when seriously competing in sports.
That is kind of how I figured. This is a picture of my WW Greener. This and my double-triggered .22 are my most prized posessions.

Attachments

• 20240301_075543.jpg
    20240301_075543.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240301_075621.jpg
    20240301_075621.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240301_075641.jpg
    20240301_075641.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 6
This is the 2 of them together as gifted from.my father.

Attachments

• 20240301_080542.jpg
    20240301_080542.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240301_080554.jpg
    20240301_080554.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 9
Right now i have a rare tikkakoski side by side in my sighs for 200 euro. Sako and tikka oficially never made those iam told but they pop up every now and then as one offs, just like odd rifle configurations.
You may be interested in this post I made about a Tikkakoski side by side. As far as I know Tikka only ever made one side by side, the model 49. I don't understand the business about "Sako and Tikka never officially made these items." The Tikka M49 is covered in the Arma Fennica book on Tikka; an excerpt is shown in the linked post. Sako did market some side by side shotguns that were actually made in Hungary.
https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/a-very-rare-tikka.17792/

Here's a quick pic of the shotgun. More photos in the linked post.
M49 Haulikko-1.JPG

That is kind of how I figured. This is a picture of my WW Greener. This and my double-triggered .22 are my most prized posessions.
those are some nice looking classics. The only thing holding me back from hammer guns is the practicality when it comes to high volume shooting and cocking noise. Shot my white tail this year from so close i could touch his flank with my barrel, he ended up almost dropping on top of me (i was in a ditch next to the trail under bushes) Id definitely take a hammer fired double rifle in 9.3x74r tho if i had the cash. That would be a real hammer for moose and Brown bear. Also i have a totally unfounded yet persistant suspicion of any gun made outside of Sweden, Finland and Germany. They like to overengineer stuff and stop just short of building an unwieldy brick (the Chechs and Russians continue from there)

Whereas the french and Brits seem to like stuff that can just about handle the treatment of a dandy man 😂

You may be interested in this post I made about a Tikkakoski side by side. As far as I know Tikka only ever made one side by side, the model 49. I don't understand the business about "Sako and Tikka never officially made these items." The Tikka M49 is covered in the Arma Fennica book on Tikka; an excerpt is shown in the linked post. Sako did market some side by side shotguns that were actually made in Hungary.
https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/a-very-rare-tikka.17792/

Here's a quick pic of the shotgun. More photos in the linked post.
View attachment 33885
Il check it out! I am undecided wether to go later seriao husky or tikka. Price being the same it would come down to handling and durability. Even tho iam on a collectors Forum, iam a dedicated hunter who likes fun toys rather than a curator.

Worked on the husky a bit today, had a minor rib seperation so with gunsmiths being too expensive for such a cheap gun i decided to do the unthinkable: chop her down a couple centimeter to before the seperation and repattern. I am actually amazed by these 40m patterns considering she should now be a cylinder bore. Can anyone explain how this is possible?

She used to pattern like this at about 50m but still!

She may not be a looker by collectors standards but seeing my daughter enjoy her roe deer steak makes me very attached to this old gun. I do wonder if i won the lottery on such an exceptional example or if all husqvarna 310 are this good.

Attachments

• IMG_20240303_010250_042.jpg
    IMG_20240303_010250_042.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20240303_010227_232.jpg
    IMG_20240303_010227_232.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240303_010214_076.jpg
    IMG_20240303_010214_076.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240303_010159_955.jpg
    IMG_20240303_010159_955.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-20240302-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20240302-WA0009.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-20240302-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20240302-WA0001.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 13
I feel like the rib could have been soldered back in place rather easily and cheaply. Then again I don't know any smiths up in northern Finland that I would trust to touch anything more delicate than a tire iron. What is done is done and it didn't seem to hurt it too much.

I feel like the rib could have been soldered back in place rather easily and cheaply. Then again I don't know any smiths up in northern Finland that I would trust to touch anything more delicate than a tire iron. What is done is done and it didn't seem to hurt it too much.
When it comes to SxS guns i know of only 2 smiths nationwide anyone really trusts and an hour of either of their time costs more than the gun cost me. These husqvarnas are a dime a dozen here, a mosin nagant is more valuable....

These guys appear to do some great work -

Latest posts

Back