• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sakos Afield 2024

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
It's a while before most 2024 hunting seasons start, but African hunting is approaching its busy season and roe season is on some places in Europe. It is spring turkey season many places. So, it's time to start a new "Sakos Afield" thread.

We have gobblers strutting in the front yard. I used to let my grandkids shoot them when they were younger, but the turkeys have become part of the landscape now, so I don't take any here around the house. But I can photograph them out of my living room window:

turk.jpg

Last edited:
I don't hunt much anymore, except for doves and quail. I like seeing deer and turkeys in my yard too,

Last edited:
It's a while before most 2024 hunting seasons start, but African hunting is approaching its busy season and roe season is on some places in Europe. It is spring turkey season many places. So, it's time to start a new "Sakos Afield" thread.

We have gobblers strutting in the front yard. I used to let my grandkids shoot them when they were younger, but the turkeys have become part of the landscape now, so I don't take any here around the house. But I can photograph them out of my living room window:

View attachment 34684
Hi Stony,
Nice Tom Rio, I hunted some in Clarandon Texas & Mcmillan they are plentiful as well as beautiful. Texas has it All! B/T

strutting in the front yard
We do too, and in full force. The toms are all strutting their stuff . They drive my Labrador absolutely nuts. Unfortunately they have become a nuisance here.

Attachments

• Sakos Afield 2024
    IMG_2787.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Rio Grande gobblers off limits here & give labs something to chase. They must know they are safe so now have become bold & daring. Beautiful birds. Sakos Afield 2024

Rio Grande gobblers off limits here & give labs something to chase. They must know they are safe so now have become bold & daring. Beautiful birds.View attachment 34687

Too many turkeys will DESTROY your quail population. Game departments every where over protect them to a point of ridiculousness(I think that's a TV show). Where I live they are nothing but a nuisance, destroying peoples gardens & decimating the pheasant & quail populations. There is a flock on my property that exceeds 200 & growing. They are near fearless of human activity & hunting them is not even a challenge anymore. Remedies probably won't get any "Good Housekeeping Awards" from your state game officials, but are inevitable if you want other ground nesting birds to survive.

Just to add, in my part of the country almost all the young turkeys survive as the weather is milder than other parts of the US - and predation is virtually impossible as they see almost anything that moves on the ground, plus they roost high in the oaks when evening arrives.

I promise the next time I post on this thread there will be a Sako involved.

Just to add, in my part of the country almost all the young turkeys survive as the weather is milder than other parts of the US - and predation is virtually impossible as they see almost anything that moves on the ground, plus they roost high in the oaks when evening arrives.

I promise the next time I post on this thread there will be a Sako involved.
The only predator I know that is successful at killing turkeys is the Bobcat. I have witnessed one catch a turkey from a deer blind. Just aren't enough cats to keep up. Cats make canine predators look like amateurs!

Racoons, foxes, and coyotes are pretty effective turkey predators -- they probably clean out more than half of the nests each year. Regardless, turkeys are abundant these days, so Texas has a four-bird limit per year (except for the Eastern species in parts of East Texas). Gobblers only in the spring, but either sex in the fall. I prefer to hunt them like "big game" and use a rifle; others like to call them within shotgun distance. I've taken them with everything from a .22 LR to a .30-06. Place the shot at the root of the wing and little or no damage to the breast will occur.

Here's my grandson from several years ago with a turkey he took with my M78 .22 Hornet with shortened stock. (Sako involved for bigcountry's benefit!)
Rocky Turkey 004 (1280x960).jpg

Racoons, foxes, and coyotes are pretty effective turkey predators -- they probably clean out more than half of the nests each year. Regardless, turkeys are abundant these days, so Texas has a four-bird limit per year (except for the Eastern species in parts of East Texas). Gobblers only in the spring, but either sex in the fall. I prefer to hunt them like "big game" and use a rifle; others like to call them within shotgun distance. I've taken them with everything from a .22 LR to a .30-06. Place the shot at the root of the wing and little or no damage to the breast will occur.

Here's my grandson from several years ago with a turkey he took with my M78 .22 Hornet with shortened stock. (Sako involved for bigcountry's benefit!)
View attachment 34691
Here in Georgia,
we must take turkeys with shot gun or bow or black powder weapons.
We call them in and that is where the challenge is the greatest. The last tom I killed came in from over 300 yds., as I watched him walk through the pine rows. & came within 8 yds. of me. The hen with him came within 10 ft, of me & that is what makes it sooooo exciting!!
Sadly kids on motorcycles gained access to our property & with the increase of coyotes, the birds are not seen on our farm in the last 5
years, but I still try to find them. B/T

2024 prospects are optimistic as shed hunting more difficult as grass taller and muddier thanks to timely April rains. Long G-4’a on White tail are instant indicators to take a long look at a buck in the field. Sako’s cleaned & ready to be checked for accuracy shortly. IMG_2297.jpeg

Latest posts

Back