• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Short Actions First L46 chambered in .222 Rem. I wonder when?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

bloorooster

The Old Hippie
I have an older L46 .222 with the left wing safety...I understand Sako was one of the first to chamber in this caliber when it was introduced in the mid to late 50's. Mine is numbered 40xx...(leaving the last 2 digits out because its the "in-thing" to do now'a days)

With the use of the factory records...I wonder if......?
The old hippie

The 222 Rem was introduced in 1950 & a 4 digit Sako with the lefthand wing safety could very easily be from that same time. Sako did not build rifles in sequential order nor make design changes on specific dates, but the data in the Factory Records Service will reveal your rifles birthday & shipping info.

Interesting subject, so I did some searching in both the inspection records and the shipping records.

There are no apparent caliber .222 rifles among the 100 in the inspection records with a serial number between 4000 and 4099 and all of those rifles were inspected in 1948 or 1949, well before the introduction of the .222 in 1950 and the first Sakos so chambered in that same year. However, there are five blank serial numbers (apparently unassigned) within this range. It is possible that the rifle in question was ultimately chambered in .222, which should show up in the shipping records.

The first Sako .222, presumably a prototype, was SN 5936 which was inspected 24 April 1950 and was booked for shipping to Firearms International on 9 May 1950 (it's amazing that Sako had the specs for the brand new cartridge so quickly!) It was not until October of 1950 that five more L46 .222's were shipped to F.I., all with SN's in the 5,000's. What was probably the first commercial shipment to F.I. occurred in January of 1951 with 51 rifles in that shipment, all with SN's in the 5,000's and 6,000's.

A .222 with a serial number in the 4,000's would appear to be enigmatic. We'd love to know more. How about posting some photos, particularly of its markings?

The 222 Rem was introduced in 1950 & a 4 digit Sako with the lefthand wing safety could very easily be from that same time. Sako did not build rifles in sequential order nor make design changes on specific dates, but the data in the Factory Records Service will reveal your rifles birthday & shipping info.
Absolutely true..I enjoy the fact that Sako built rifles simply by reaching in a bin of non specified receivers and just building the gun. Serial numbers jumping about thru the years of manufacture...like the L579s, which in the earliest configs were actually L57's with a 9 squeezed in between that and the serial number!

Thank You Paulson and Stonecreek for your input...very interesting stuff here!
The rifle I have is currently with my gunsmith as it had a extractor issue, he said the extractor seemed to be impacted with brass and fouling...hopefully it will be ready in a few weeks. When I get it back, I'll post some photos...

Serial numbers jumping about thru the years of manufacture...like the L579s, which in the earliest configs were actually L57's with a 9 squeezed in between that and the serial number!
Which is what I've found myself why there are so many variations within the L57 to L579 transition. Sako coolness at its best !!!

....and I ran the records service on my left-wing safety .222 with Full Stock ! here it is:
" L46 Mannlicher in .222Rem #4847: Inspected on 2/26/51, shipped on 3/29/51 and was one of thirty-two (32) .222 rifles in that shipment to FI. This rifle was included in only the second shipment of L46 .222s and was among the first 100 .222s ever shipped by Sako."

DeerGoose

deergoose.
Very interesting. I have a picture and description which states:
"Sako L46 Riihimaki Mannlicher Rifle - 222 Cal, serial no. 4653, one of the earliest 222 cal, 23-1/2 inch round bbl, blued finish, walnut stock. Mannlicher style stock.
Left hand safety is extremely rare in 222 Rem."
The rifle shown in the picture has no rear sight. Does yours? Congratulations. Very rare indeed. Some where this other one is floating around, possibly in the U.S.
Sakojim.

Last edited:
Thanks to DeerGoose and Sakojim with more cool stuff! I find it very interesting to be able to trace a rifles origin down that closely. I wish I had the rifle back so I could post a few photos.

I am pretty sure its numbered 4064, the safety lever has a slight kick downward towards the tip with striation lines along the tip for grip. I remember realizing instantly how much better it felt on the left than the right side roll over lever I was used to. Everything else seemed typical early pre-Bofors style..coarse knurling on the front sight ramp, shallow bell end taper and so on. Of course it did have the recessed circle L46 stamp the top front dovetail. I felt pretty sure the rifle was pre 50's. I knew the .222 rem was super popular in the 50's as well so then the question came to mind. Every L46 I had ever seen in .222 had the block style right side safety, and every left wing safety L46 I had seen was a 25-20 or a hornet or 7x33??

I also knew that Sako had a knack for jacking up the norm...no sequenced numbers...running L461's and L46's at the same time (more likely the L46's could have been back stocked...I dunno)
I came here and found a thread about the 7x33 Sako, a very well written and informative post by L46 I believe and after reading that I joined up.
I wonder if 4064 is one of those 5 blank spaces???
The Old Hippie

the safety lever has a slight kick downward towards the tip
Early LH safety levers turned upward on the end. This was when few people thought about scope use and the upturn made the lever very close to the scope's ocular bell when in the "safe" position. Sako modified the safety lever by turning it downward on later models so that it gave more scope clearance.

"Early" and "later" are relative terms, of course, since all of these LH safeties were very early on in Sako's commercial life, all coming from the 1940's and very early 50's.

Please do post a photo of your rifle's safety when you have a chance. The upturned ones I've seen had fairly sharp ridges running across the safety lever (parallel with the bore). The downturned ones that I've seen had a finely checkered surface.

stonecreek.
I found 6 pages ( approximately 550 rifles dating from 8/13/49 to 3/23/72) of rifle listings that I assume were obtained by the SCA from Sako factory personnel.
The heading is: "SAKO PRODUCTION / SHIPPING DATES LIST OF OCT. 1983"
Some interesting entries for sure. The first of 47 .222 rifles is serial number 4621, model L46, shipping date 8/13/49. The last is serial number 172031, model A1, shipping date 11/12/81.
One other oddball coming later. This should cause some interesting discussion! Cheers.
Sakojim.

Thanks Sakojim and Stonecreek for even more intriguing info!
Now, its driving me nuts not having the gun here to fill in some blanks.

Wonder what oddball is coming next?!?

The rifles condition is good , or at least in my book. I will shoot it some , carry it afield some, like I do my others. I bought it as a shooter. As 70 year old guns go, it looks fine. I have a period Weaver K10 on low rings on top. I love the look of this set up, and it sorta appears that this was a standard set-up for most. I've had a couple others that "came that way".

At what point in the "evolution" of the 46 did the barrel band go away? I have seen photos of the earliest of them in birch furniture with that "toasted" finish. I suppose things were still more influenced by the military aspect of fit and finish perhaps.

Hippie

I found 6 pages ( approximately 550 rifles dating from 8/13/49 to 3/23/72) of rifle listings that I assume were obtained by the SCA from Sako factory personnel.
The heading is: "SAKO PRODUCTION / SHIPPING DATES LIST OF OCT. 1983"
Some interesting entries for sure. The first of 47 .222 rifles is serial number 4621, model L46, shipping date 8/13/49.

That list of serial numbers and production dates was compiled many years ago by members of the old SCA from the hang tags on rifles in their possession. Not having any factory records data they assumed, wrongly, that Sako numbered its production in chronological order like every other manufacturer in the world. As we know today, that's not so.

You can't impute the date of production of a Sako simply by its serial number, other than to know that a particular set of numbers were mostly being used over a relatively finite time span. We've found consecutive numbers assigned to rifles which were produced as much as ten years apart! The continued existence of the old SCA list of numbers/dates causes much confusion, consternation, and downright hostility due to people relying on it to date their Sakos and failing to understand that the list can be very misleading.

That list is also full of human mistakes. Obviously, there can't be a Sako (or any other rifle) chambered in .222 Rem which was made in August of 1949 as #4621 on the SCA list shows. Remington didn't even introduce the cartridge until 1950 and the Sako shipping records show the very first rifle of that caliber being placed in inventory in April of 1950, consistent with what we know about the introduction of the .222 cartridge. The Sako shipping records show that L46 #4621 was in caliber 7x33 and was shipped from the factory in a lot of 20 rifles of the same caliber on the 15th of August 1949 (see the link below. You can "blow up" the page to see the handwritten numbers more clearly.)

It is difficult to conclude that the listing of L46 #4621 as a .222 Rem on the old SCA list is anything other than erroneous and human error. That old list needs to go in the same storage bin as Sako-Weaver scope bases and see-through scope mounts.

Attachments

• L46 #4621 ship.pdf
    470 KB · Views: 24
Ok guys..
First of all I owe you all an apology for a misrepresentation. The serial number is not what I thought. I called my Gunsmith and had him verify it for me. It is 4707..sorry I was so far off .. that’s why I’m the old hippie. He said he’s still 3 months back so its still gonna be awhile before I can get any photos.
So anyways ..it’s still cool to have a wing safety 46 in .222 rem , so I’m tickled
But it’s even cooler to talk about with you folks .. Thanks to everyone!

the (forgetful) old hippie

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a photo now, just sent from my Smith. It shows all the things I forgot to remember! Big Thanks out to Cale’s Gunsmithing!

old hippie

Attachments

• 8BB3919B-CEBA-431E-9F6A-EE23A40AD544.jpeg
    8BB3919B-CEBA-431E-9F6A-EE23A40AD544.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 63
I have not had the gun in my hands for quite some time. I guess with all the other guns I mess with my brain got tangled up in my dreams!

hippie

Yep, 4707 instead of 4704. It checks out as an original .222 from 1951. The turned-down wing safety has the same very fine checkering on its surface as I've seen on other L46 turn-down safety levers. I'll try to get a photo of the earlier turn-up lever and post it.

Thank you Stonecreek and again I apologize for all the confusion on my part. 1951 then..way cool!
I did notice the absence of proof marks on the chamber end of the barrel. I’ve not noticed this on any of my others. The .222 rem on the topside is all that I see

hippie

Looks like the inspector's initials & the proof mark are on the action just to the right of the serial number in the picture, but my eyes can't make out any detail.

Latest posts

Back