• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Which PO4R do I have?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

gmkmd

Just got this Sako 22LR at a local shop, but I can’t figure out which model it is. It’s marked “SAKO PO4R”, but it doesn’t say Finnfire nor quad. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_9536.jpeg
    IMG_9536.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9535.jpeg
    IMG_9535.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9534.jpeg
    IMG_9534.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9533.jpeg
    IMG_9533.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 22
You have just what it says: P04R. The name "Finnfire" was not stamped on the rifle, but that is what the marketing name is. Great little rifles, by the way, and one of the most robust rimfire actions made. I wish they would have offered it in small centerfires like 5.7FN.

It's a Finnfire II. It is otherwise identical to the Quad, but it lacks the hardware for the quick change barrel system. In other words it's a fixed barrel version of the quad with fewer parts. Still fairly easy to take the barrel off if you ever need to. The other thing that make it a Finnfire II is the round steel bolt handle, which is reminiscent of Finnfire one (P94S).

I used to hate the things, but these days I think they are alright. Any issue you might have can be fixed, so don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you both very much for your help.
I notice that there is a deep hole through the floorplate, in front of the magazine. Is that for disassembly? Also, there seems to be a thin, black O-ring around the breech end of the barrel. What is that for?

Finnfire II bottom "metal" should not have that hole. It's there for the quick change barrel on Quad. Either replacement part or wrong part from the factory. Easy mistake to make.

The o-ring is for identification purposes. On Quad the four different caliber barrels are color coded by different color o-rings. On Finnfire II, since it's a fixed barrel and it doesn't need color coding the black o-ring is there just to fill the groove.

To add to the confusion, the quad receiver was also stamped P04R.
The fact he says it has the hole for the quick change barrel, is it possible he could have a early quad and it got the round bolt handle?

One way to be sure is to pull the action out of the stock and take a picture of how the barrel attaches to the receiver.

Back