• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Value and Rarity of a Sako P72

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

South Pender

A Sako P72 in .22LR has come up for sale here in Canada, and I'm kind of curious about this rifle. The asking price is very high for a used rimfire rifle--$3000 Cdn or about $2225 USD (with an inexpensive scope mounted). Is there something really outstanding about this Sako model that would warrant this price? Is it a particularly rare model? From pictures it looks to be in pretty good shape, but I haven't had it in hand to really evaluate this.

Anybody that would pay that kind of money for a P72 or any rimfire for that matter has more money than brains. They are not that special or built to that high of a standard to warrant that price. I don't know how "rare" they are, but rarity doesn't necessarily translate to high value. Just my two cents.

I’ve seen the one you are referring to, there is nothing special about this rifle to warrant the asking price and it is missing the magazine as well.

I’ve seen the one you are referring to, there is nothing special about this rifle to warrant the asking price and it is missing the magazine as well.
It's hard to make out much detail on the bottom metal from the pics, and I didn't notice that the mag was missing. Did you contact the seller to determine this? And it's always possible that he has the mag and just had it out of the rifle when the pics were taken.

Actually, I was more interested just in how Sako aficionados peg the relative value of the P72, in general, in comparison to the P54 (one of those just sold here recently), M78, P94S, and P04R, and not really in this particular specimen. I'm not in the market for another Sako rimfire rifle with my custom P94S in hand.

Last edited:
It's hard to make out much detail on the bottom metal from the pics, and I didn't notice that the mag was missing. Did you contact the seller to determine this? And it's always possible that he has the mag and just had it out of the rifle when the pics were taken.
Just from my observation.
IMG_4486.jpeg

One thing about the earlier models like the P72 and M78 that rimfire enthusiasts like is their all-steel construction, unlike the later P94S and P04R models which have polymer bolt sleeves and bottom "metal" (at least the P94S does). I had my metalsmith make steel replacements on my custom P94S.

I have never owned the P72 or 78..so I can’t speak of the rifles from experience. The 72 is a very attractive rifle in its stock design. I don’t see a lot of them up for sale or auction and when I do it’s usually in the 12-1500 range.

For those with excessive funds and deficient grey matter…

Additionally..the P 46 and 54’s are making way across the pond. Most selling for under 500 depending on condition. Still rare by total numbers in the US but becoming much easier to obtain.

Well, if we're discussing Sako rimfires, here's my custom P94S:
JnAxfdv.jpeg

FD4VN0t.jpeg

Last edited:
SP's custom P94 is certainly exquisite. Congratulations!

I own a P72 LR and an M78 WMR. The LR exhibits gilt-edged accuracy. But like many WMR's the M78 is just "average". They are certainly several notches above a contemporaneous Marlin, Savage, Mossberg, Remington, or Winchester rimfire. Close in overall quality to a Kimber. I like the robustness of the P94 and have found it to also be quite accurate.

"Value" or fair market price, is another thing. With pedestrian Remingtons selling for more than a week's wages for many folks, any price for a Sako looks reasonable. However, the Canadian seller in the instance cited has stars in his eyes and will enjoy continuing to own his P72 indefinitely at that price.

SP's custom P94 is certainly exquisite. Congratulations!

I own a P72 LR and an M78 WMR. The LR exhibits gilt-edged accuracy. But like many WMR's the M78 is just "average".
Your experience with your M78 22WMR is, as you state, similar to that of others with rifles chambered in that cartridge. I've owned a Kimber and a couple of Anschutz rifles in 22WMR and,, even with a lot of experimenting with differing brands of ammunition, have been unable to come close to the accuracy of a good 22LR. It's the ammo. Ammo makers have conceptualized the WMR as strictly a hunting cartridge with more power than a 22LR and have been uninterested in designing and manufacturing match-quality WMR ammunition or anything close to it. Things have been a little better with the .17HMR.

Last edited:
I have a CZ455 Mannlicher carbine in .22 WMR and have found it to be every bit as accurate as my other high-quality rimfire sporters. It is not the equal of a 513-T or my custom Winder Musket of unknown origin, but it's right up there with the others at 25-50yards, and more accurate when you get out to 100. I haven't quite gotten a 1" 5 shot group at 100 yet, but I'm just a hair over. The rifle must have a slow twist barrel because it hates 40 grain bullets and loves 30 grain. Maybe light bullets will get better accuracy in other 22WMR rifles - can't say because I only have the one.
CZ Carbine 1.JPG

The p72 is excellent rimfire. The accuraty is outstanding. I you own one you will be very happy. It is very good practice gun as the side, weight and balance is very close to L46. There is several grades of stock finish, checkering, grip cap etc. The early one with glossy stock is moust desirable and could worth seriuosly money

Attachments

• 1F84CA9F-11BD-4B51-AF54-E750865716C6.jpeg
    1F84CA9F-11BD-4B51-AF54-E750865716C6.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 19
I have a CZ455 Mannlicher carbine in .22 WMR and have found it to be every bit as accurate as my other high-quality rimfire sporters. It is not the equal of a 513-T or my custom Winder Musket of unknown origin, but it's right up there with the others at 25-50yards, and more accurate when you get out to 100. I haven't quite gotten a 1" 5 shot group at 100 yet, but I'm just a hair over. The rifle must have a slow twist barrel because it hates 40 grain bullets and loves 30 grain. Maybe light bullets will get better accuracy in other 22WMR rifles - can't say because I only have the one.
View attachment 33557
My 22 WMR is the opposite, it loves 40's & hates 30's. Having own or shot dozens of WMR's my conclusion is they are the most finnicky of rimfires. I finally found one, about ten years ago, that will put 10 rounds in one ragged hole at 50 yards that a quarter will easily cover. It's a Browning T-Bolt with a terrible trigger, but I will not part with it. All my CZ rimfires will outshoot any Sako 72 or 78 I have ever owned for about a thousand less dollars.

My 22 WMR is the opposite, it loves 40's & hates 30's. Having own or shot dozens of WMR's my conclusion is they are the most finnicky of rimfires. I finally found one, about ten years ago, that will put 10 rounds in one ragged hole at 50 yards that a quarter will easily cover. It's a Browning T-Bolt with a terrible trigger, but I will not part with it. All my CZ rimfires will outshoot any Sako 72 or 78 I have ever owned for about a thousand less dollars.
Likewise..I’ve only had two .22 mags , the first being a Browning BPR which wasn’t too impressive. When Ruger first introduced the 77/22 rifle I bought a LR and WMR together. Both of those shot really well. The magnum shot under an inch with Winchester Super X 40g ( the 30g did not perform as well)

All my CZ rimfires will outshoot any Sako 72 or 78 I have ever owned for about a thousand less dollars
I absolutely agree. I also have a CZ 452 in .22LR that does one-hole groups at 50. I got it for cheap at a gun show and it's one of the best gun bargains I've ever gotten. And I paid about the same for a CZ527 in .22 Hornet as I did for my P72 Hornet; the CZ is not only a much better gun but it has prettier wood.

I absolutely agree. I also have a CZ 452 in .22LR that does one-hole groups at 50. I got it for cheap at a gun show and it's one of the best gun bargains I've ever gotten. And I paid about the same for a CZ527 in .22 Hornet as I did for my P72 Hornet; the CZ is not only a much better gun but it has prettier wood.
I've been on the hunt for a CZ 453(same as 452 but with a set trigger) for some time. I will purchase one as soon as it is in sight!! I've owned multiple P72's & M78's in both rimfire & Hornet versions over the years. That I don't own any now reflects only my opinion on their price versus value.

I have never owned the P72 or 78..so I can’t speak of the rifles from experience. The 72 is a very attractive rifle in its stock design. I don’t see a lot of them up for sale or auction and when I do it’s usually in the 12-1500 range.

For those with excessive funds and deficient grey matter…
I liked it until I saw the price. I can get 3 nice Deluxes for that. It does have great wood though.

Back