• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Two stage triggers

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I would argue that the target trigger above is a two stage trigger even though it doesn't have two sets of sear surfaces. My argument is that the sear engagement starts as pretty large and the sear surface is moving closer to tripping point during the "free pull" therefore there is true first and second stage to the sear movement.
Except that there is no "end" to the first stage as you have defined it. If it's as you describe it, the sear is slipping off the cocking piece until it detaches entirely. So, while there may seem like a long take-up prior to release (which I would find disconcerting), it is, in fact, a single movement with no discernible break between two "stages." The sensation experienced by the shooter is just a single long pull and then release. With a true two-stage trigger, the first stage is experienced until its sear releases, and then the shooter pulls through a distinct second stage until its sear releases.

Not that the diagram is dispositive in this respect, but it pictures the sear just barely in contact with the second lever--just the way it would be with any three-lever single-stage trigger.

The original question in this thread was: "Looking at the aftermarket, are there any two-stage options?" From what I know of aftermarket triggers, I think the answer is No.

Last edited:
Actually, the first original question and the very first line of text reads,

"Did Sako produce any rifles with two-stage triggers?"

And after looking up old threads, I see you were in search of one of these Sako faux 2-stage triggers at one time, so they must not have been too horrible.

I also read a lot of stories about owners of the A1 single shot six and 22 ppc's winning lots of local Target shoots, so they must not hate that trigger either.

HTH.

Actually, the first original question and the very first line of text reads,

"Did Sako produce any rifles with two-stage triggers?"

And after looking up old threads, I see you were in search of one of these Sako faux 2-stage triggers at one time, so they must not have been too horrible.

I also read a lot of stories about owners of the A1 single shot six and 22 ppc's winning lots of local Target shoots, so they must not hate that trigger either.

HTH.
If this is directed at me, yes, you're right about the first line of the OP (I missed that), but not about my looking for a 2-stage trigger for my Sakos. I've been looking for good single-stage triggers that can be set down to 2-3 oz. (like a Jewell or Bix'n Andy) or set triggers like the Canjar. I don't consider the single-stage target trigger on my 6PPC to be "euro-trash" or "horrible," just not a topnotch match trigger in the same class as the Jewells I have on other rifles.

If this is directed at me, yes, you're right about the first line of the OP (I missed that), but not about my looking for a 2-stage trigger for my Sakos. I've been looking for good single-stage triggers that can be set down to 2-3 oz. (like a Jewell or Bix'n Andy) or set triggers like the Canjar. I don't consider the single-stage target trigger on my 6PPC to be "euro-trash" or "horrible," just not a topnotch match trigger in the same class as the Jewells I have on other rifles.
OP here,

I did not specify whether I wanted a traditional two stage independently adjustable trigger or less complicated versions that provide two stages of pull to the shooter. (Apply your preferred terminology as desired). Between my rifles and airguns I have both types and the difference is not important to me.

I just happen to prefer a two stage with medium-light (~1lb) break, and I wanted to gather my options. A true benchrest trigger is not practical, since I want the option to shoot bench varmint. The PPC "target" models are at the top of my list.

I'm not a trigger guru but I'm able to adjust carefully and bump test it, so the diagrams are helpful.

David

I just happen to prefer a two stage with medium-light (~1lb) break, and I wanted to gather my options. A true benchrest trigger is not practical, since I want the option to shoot bench varmint. The PPC "target" models are at the top of my list.
If you're looking for a Sako 6 or .22 PPC, be advised that not all have the target trigger that has been described here. Some of the A1 PPC rifles don't have it. You can tell that a particular gun has this trigger if the trigger guard has the two access holes. Sako chambered some S491-action rifles in PPC and also some 75s. I don't know whether a target trigger was available on them. The 75 trigger is quite different from that on the A1. Jard and Bix'n Andy make triggers for the 75, but they are strictly single-stage.

If you're looking for a Sako 6 or .22 PPC, be advised that not all have the target trigger that has been described here. Some of the A1 PPC rifles don't have it. You can tell that a particular gun has this trigger if the trigger guard has the two access holes. Sako chambered some S491-action rifles in PPC and also some 75s. I don't know whether a target trigger was available on them. The 75 trigger is quite different from that on the A1. Jard and Bix'n Andy make triggers for the 75, but they are strictly single-stage.

This reflects my own research. (Though much of that research came from this forum)

David

Back