• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Tikka T3X Lite Pinned Bolt Question

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

cat9

Hello

Due to a dumb purchase, and return, of a used rifle, I now have to use a store credit. This leads to a list of new rifles I know little about (which includes most firearms).

I have decided on a Tikka T3X Lite, Stainless barrel, Synthetic stock. At least I will salvage a new item for me, i.e. stainless/synthetic.

My first choice in caliber is 7mm-08. Second choice is 270.

I realize the Tikka has one length receiver. I read the following online:

“For the .308 family they pin the bolt so it doesn't travel as far back and block off the … mag.”

My question is, does this pinning of the bolt add a complexity that can go wrong later?

If so, better to choose the 270. And a 25-06 is also available and interesting.

Thank you.

Hello

Due to a dumb purchase, and return, of a used rifle, I now have to use a store credit. This leads to a list of new rifles I know little about (which includes most firearms).

I have decided on a Tikka T3X Lite, Stainless barrel, Synthetic stock. At least I will salvage a new item for me, i.e. stainless/synthetic.

My first choice in caliber is 7mm-08. Second choice is 270.

I realize the Tikka has one length receiver. I read the following online:

“For the .308 family they pin the bolt so it doesn't travel as far back and block off the … mag.”

My question is, does this pinning of the bolt add a complexity that can go wrong later?

If so, better to choose the 270. And a 25-06 is also available and interesting.

Thank you.

But maybe the long action calibers are pinned also, just at a different location?

What decides the action length on a T3(x) is the bolt stop. So if you want to shorten or lengthen "the action", all you need to do is to replace it with a correctly sized one.

The pin holding the bolt stop is only held in place by friction, and not much at that.

What decides the action length on a T3(x) is the bolt stop. So if you want to shorten or lengthen "the action", all you need to do is to replace it with a correctly sized one.

The pin holding the bolt stop is only held in place by friction, and not much at that.

Thank you, CerebralDistortion. It seems pretty clear, then, that in the Tikka any caliber is the same as any other in terms of the mechanism’s reliability.

I am still dithering on what caliber to choose in a Tikka, but 7mm-08 has inside track. I have now learned there is no negative to short cartridges as all calibers have pinned bolts.

Still also considering a BLR, but already have a couple. And the available one is 6.5 creedmoor, maybe a bit odd for a lever action.

No problem.

7-08 is a good cartridge and performance wise not far behind the 6.5 CM. Both are depending on a long enough barrel to reach past 1000 yds.

But that is target shooting and I would say that the 7-08 is the better one for hunting deer sized game this side of 300 yds or what ever you consider your limit is.

The 270, IMHO, does not give a considerable advantage unless you go for game beyond 300 yds.

Good luck with your choice.

No problem.

7-08 is a good cartridge and performance wise not far behind the 6.5 CM. Both are depending on a long enough barrel to reach past 1000 yds.

But that is target shooting and I would say that the 7-08 is the better one for hunting deer sized game this side of 300 yds or what ever you consider your limit is.

The 270, IMHO, does not give a considerable advantage unless you go for game beyond 300 yds.

Good luck with your choice.

Thanks again. I will let you know what I decide on. If Tikka, as likely, 7mm-08 almost for sure. If BLR, unlikely, the creedmoor. But I will wait for one more website update to see if anything else surfaces.

Just to close the string, I ended up buying a Beretta shotgun for one of the kids. He's happy anyway.

Back