• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Tikka m558 Continental

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

cl_leg

Just picked up this beautiful Tikka Continental 22-250 with Bausch and Lomb 6-24 scope. How to tell if it is a Master Continental? Is the only difference the Master has a set trigger, push forward when cocked? IMG_20160413_191932.jpg

I'm not too familiar with old Tikka models but to get started tell us the model number that's stamped on the left side of the receiver next to the serial number. "TIKKA M590" or something like that.
edit: And I think the set trigger was available option for all of the models.

The M558 was the model that succeeded the LSA Tikkas & IIRC was the first model introduced after Sako bought Tikka in the late 80's. I had a M558 standard sporter in 22-250 & I regret selling it very much. The actions are glass smooth, fit & finish is top notch, & accuracy superb. Their Deluxe model was as nice as any Sako Deluxe I've seen. I consider them the pinnacle of Tikka's acheivements & your Continental with set trigger is an outstanding example as well as being one of the more rare configurations. The subsequent model 595, although a nice rifle, was not on a par with the 558 with regard to fit, finish, & overall build quality. If memory serves me correctly the "Master" Continental denoted the Deluxe stock, which yours does not have, but I welcome any correction by others more knowledgeable. Thanks for sharing!

cl _leg, very nice find! That's the first M558 Continental Varmint I have seen here! paulsonconstruction has most of it right! "Master" was denoted to all the models and if it was a deluxe it came with the rosewood for-end and grip cap, polished angels and top of action and came with Oil finished and matte lacquered stocks. When Tikka got back into producing rifles they offered the Tikka M55 and M65 ( Known here at the time as the Ithaca Lsa-55 and Lsa-65.) That was followed up by the M558 and M658 which had a plastic bolt guide. Next they introduced the M590 and M690 which has a closed box action which looks very similar to the current T3 action ( I don't know how long this model was offered and have never seen or held one in person but Google Tikka M590 action and you can see the difference.) Then they came out with the M595 and M695. The M595 Continental Varmint and M695 Continental Long Range all came with 26" barrels and the beavertail for-end stocks and there was no Deluxe version of these offered. Yours looks to be in very nice condition and also has the five round magazine. Let us know how she shoot's!

After Lsa/M 55 and 65 came new model M65A. It is quite rare. It was called "Rambo" by factory workers. It was another ancestor with Valmet M86 sniper of Sako Trg. First models of 558 and 658 have been constructed in Tikkakoski factory in late 80's by Toivo Pirttimäki. Pirttimäki was a constructer of Tikkakoski. The prototypes were made in Tikkakoski. After Tikkakoski factory was closed, Sako manufactured the rest of them in Riihimäki. These models are known as M88 too.

image.jpg Like this one I have here!
Same rear plastic bush as the M558/658, nice and smooth!
Action length is same as the M658 although if you take it out the chassis the action has a lot more meat to it!
Only chambered in .308 as far as I'm aware.

It's an M65-A

Currently has a more appropriate Schmidt & Bender 12x42 PM fitted, along with the original Tikka bipod. I'll post a photo over the weekend.
I borrowed the leupold in the photo as had nothing else at that time.
It only comes out on dry days to shoot paper! ;)

Back