• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Suggestions for Custom Stock

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

gsprobst

I recently purchased a Sako Vixen 222 Heavy Barrel and am interested in finishing a custom stock. In 1974 I finished a Fajen stock for a Vixen 222 Sporter and it was a lot of work but it turned out well. As we know Fajen has been out of business for some time. I have been searching the web for providers of semi-inletted stocks and the reviews have been variable, but I am leaning toward Wenig or Richard's Microfit. Any suggestions to point me in the right direction would be appreciated. Many thanks.

gsprobst

gsprobst- I wish I could point you in the right direction, but my favorite passed away a few months ago. My best advice would be tO post this question in several forums and see what else is available. Wenigs did treat me right the one time I used them, but that was for an older 22 savage pump. years ago.-Don't get in A BIG HURRY. -Misako

I do all my stocks and own both Wenigs and Richards Microfit stocks. Comparing Wenigs to Richards is like Rolex to Timex, both will tell you the time. Wenigs is a lot more expensive, Richards has a lot more options. If you haven't done a stock in awhile the Wenigs will be a lot less work, the Richards is like sanding 5 miles of bad road, inletting will be sorta right, customer service non-existent, did I say they were cheaper? I've bought some off of GB that have turned out OK also. A call to either will tell you alot about what to expect.

Last edited:
Google Bose's Guns in Emerson, Nebraska. He'll do about anything you want from duplicated/inletted to a fully finished & checkered stock. One man shop. Does beautiful work. Just takes two things, patience & $$$.

Last edited:
Misako, cmjr and paulsonconstruction. Thanks to each of you for your helpful comments. I did visit the Bose's Guns web site and they appear to be highly skilled. I plan to follow-up with Bose's and Wenig by phone to see what the next steps may be.
Thanks again.
gsprobst

Good luck with your project. I had very good luck finding stock blanks on Ebay- this after I talked to the people that would do the work on the actual stock to determine what I really needed for my projects. -The fellow up in Emerson NE. looks like a good fit for me to have some work done with some bluing. His prices on stock work seem in line with what I encountered for my two custom Finnwolfs.-Misako

I did a matched pair of heavy barrel .222 Rahimaki for a fellow.
It was near impossible to get rough inletted stocks anywhere with long and heavy enough wood but I did find two from a American Custom Gunmakers Guild friend when I was at their Convention. Other than that I suggest Wenegs

I know the route I took is really expensive, but after getting nowhere with getting a new stock for my Sako AV, I bought a GRS hybrid rifle stock blank and I am having Long Rifles Inc. inlet it and pillar bed it. I splurged and got the carbon wrapped barrel channel. It was the most I ever spent on my rifle, but the rifle is a special rifle to me so I figured it would be a nice present to myself. Now just a heads up, if you decide to go the route I took, make sure you order a blank, not a pre inlet stock. Long Rifles Inc. prefers to inlet blanks.

Latest posts

Back