• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

"Squiggly" wood Sakos

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Wonderful wood out there for lucky owners. Get Smart rifle unbelievable workmanship but have to agree with Icebear and Bloo. Barbra Feldon was so "60s cute but I wanted the Sunbeam he drove up in. Think it may have been the Tiger with the 260cc Ford under the hood.

Thanks Kevin …now posted on GB with ridiculous high price as i really don’t want to sell. This over embellished Sako speaks of Sammy Davis Jr. Influence like most his guns.

Here's one that I forgot to post with the others above. I wouldn't call it exactly "squiggly," in fact I really don't know how to describe it. This is the only Rosewood gunstock I have ever seen. The rifle is a post-64 Winchester 94 in .30-30.
Win94-1.JPG
Win 94 Stock 3.JPG Win 94 Stock 4.JPG

Here's one that I forgot to post with the others above. I wouldn't call it exactly "squiggly," in fact I really don't know how to describe it. This is the only Rosewood gunstock I have ever seen. The rifle is a post-64 Winchester 94 in .30-30.
View attachment 30971
View attachment 30969View attachment 30970
Ice........

Great looking wood on that Winchester!👍

I'll add to our rosewood stockpile.
The rifle below is a rosewood stocked O'Brien in 17MachIV. There's some more rosewood on page one.......a 17-222 Winslow.
Obrien-HG-17-Mach-IV-rosewood.jpg

Last edited:
AV Classic 30-06 topped with” classic” Leupold 2.5-8 VariX 3 glossy scope.
Forgotten & unused in 20+ years but unsurprisingly remains accurate because it’s a Sako.
I’ve decided to exercise a few ignored Sako’s & this rifle may qualify for a squiggly moniker. Bought new a long time ago from Jerry’s Sports Center in Pa via catalog.
I had found Nosler Trophy ammo in 165 gr Accubond. Target 1 is “fouling” shot; #2 is 2 shots for grouping; & #3 is 2 shots after scope correction at 100 yds. I believe I’ll leave it there & use it to hunt this season.
Cheers. IMG_9685.jpeg IMG_9689.jpeg IMG_9688.jpeg IMG_9677.jpeg

Last edited:
Outstanding! Both the wood and the groups.

I suspect that the 165 grain Accubonds will put even one of your big 200-lb plus whitetail bucks efficiently on the ground. I took a good Mule Deer buck a couple of years ago with the 165 AB out of a .308 -- one shot, broken shoulder on the near side and bullet caught in the hide of the offside shoulder.

Well, Spaher's post about digging a beautiful "squiggly-wooded" but unused Sako out of the back of the safe and getting it ready to go hunting has inspired me to finally decide that, as one of our esteemed members is fond of saying, "Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun".

This one appears to be one presented to a long-time Sako employee, but how and why it got to the U.S. in an apparently unfired condition is unknown. The origin of this L61R .30-06 (sn in the 70,000's with third lug) is somewhat mysterious. I've posted it here before, but no one was able to do anything but speculate about it. I even tried checking with the Sako factory, but got no response. I found later by talking directly with an employee there that they had passed the photos around among factory staff but no one knew anything about it.

Along with the Super Deluxe stock its floorplate is engraved with what looks like someone's signature -- I'm guessing that of the person to whom it was presented. The sterling silver grip cap is engraved "1947 - 1974 Sako Oy Ab". And in the factory shipping records (shipped 18 November 1973) where there is normally the name of a distributor such as "Garcia", or "Stockman Ab", there is only an eleven digit internal factory code of some kind.

ANYWAY, as you can see, this morning I've mounted a brand new 2007 Leupold Century 3-9X in original Sako rings on it that I've been saving for something special. When the weather warms up and wind calms later this week I'll take it to the range with some of those 165 grain Nosler Accubonds like Spaher is using to see how it does. I figure those 165's are a good one-size-fits-all for deer, elk and black bear. If all goes well it will find one or more of those species in its crosshairs very soon. When it does, it will be doing what it was made for -- not sitting somewhere in the dark of a safe for another half-century.

Pres 1 (1280x264).jpg Pres 3 (1280x645).jpg Pres 2 (1280x579).jpg Pres 4 (1280x640).jpg

Last edited:
Stonecreek, don't do it. I beg you. Too beautiful a piece. Out of the safe, yes, but just Mount it on the wall and enjoy it.

A gun that beautiful is begging to be blooded!
Looking forward to seeing it leaning across a big Texas Whitetail. Put one of those Koplin spandex shell holders on the shoulder stock for S&G’s!🤣

To quote a wise old timey rancher friend of mine, one of his hunters showed up at camp with an extraordinarily beautiful exhibition grade rifle to the awe of all . Discussion with multiple compliments followed until the rancher said, “let’s take her to the range and see what she can do” with silence followed , until the gun owner responded, “she’s much too pretty to use”. The seasoned rancher responded, “I sure hope you’re not married to a pretty woman”, with a pregnant pause afterwards. Needless to say, the rifle was shortly baptized….true retelling!
That’s all I have to say!
(Added) Here he is in photo unloading a group of cattle in early spring for grazing on oats after a wet winter… IMG_9730.jpeg

Last edited:
Stone, tell me you're going to sit in a blind where it is less likely to be damaged, and you shouldn't have any remorse. But if you're going to carry it in snow and rain on a 10 day Colorado elk hunt, or worst like I did with my new Golden Anniversary.....10 days in a leather scabbard (just the front part without the back that offers some protection to the buttstock) on a horseback hunt in snowy and wet weather. If it's the later two methods, better get ready for your rifle to come home with a used look and you might have some remorse. My GA never looked new or even good condition again, but it brought me lots of great memories and I don't regret taking it. When I buy a gun for investment, I don't use it. But when I buy one I want because I like it and want to use it, it will eventually get a used look.

Douglas2, at my age I don't expose myself to 10-day horseback elk hunts in the rain and snow, so no chance of exposing this rifle, either. Yep, it will be limited to sitting inside a blind, or at the worst, leaning against a mountain pine in nice weather watching for one of the critters that lives there saunter by. No saddle scabbards, no riding in the back of an ATV, no sitting in a truck rack. By the way, I'm amazed at how nice my Finnbear .264 looks fifty-eight seasons after I bought it new. I guess I'm fairly "easy" on my guns.

Besides, what would have been the point in building such a fine rifle in the first place if it were never to be fired?

Ive recd a couple similar comments about my .338 carbine. My reply is always keep it cased-hard case on off-road vehicles, soft case in the truck. If you’re packing, always know your body position and keep your body between the ground and your gun if you fall. Seems to work.

If you’re packing, always know your body position and keep your body between the ground and your gun if you fall. Seems to work.

Additionally…when on foot , transversing slippery or otherwise precarious terrain, hold the rifle in your hand, not hanging from the sling on your shoulder.
A rifle sling is a fantastic way to pack a hunting rifle…but only when you’re just walking easy, like on the way to the truck or camp or whatever. When it comes to having the gun slung over the shoulder while still hunting or slipping along on the prowl, one may get caught by surprise and miss the opportunity because you got caught with your rifle on your shoulder instead of being ready.

A fall with the same scenario could result in serious damage or at least put the hunter back to checking POI before continuing.

Latest posts

Back