• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Quad Extractor

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Dave Buffington

Hi Folks!

I am working on a Sako Quad with extraction issues, and I'm struggling with reassembling the extractor in the bolt.

It seems simple enough, but the retaining pin does not want to go back into the bolt. (Is it directional?) And the spring is doing its best to push the extractor out of position. Any tips?

Thanks!
Dave

The pin has one tapered end. I usually line up the holes with a slightly smaller punch, keep the extractor in the spot with finger, then remove the punch and jam the tapered end of the pin in the hole with my fingers as best I can. It should stay straight without support long enough to grab a hammer and tap it in. It doesn't take much to tap it in, but usually it doesn't go with just fingers.

Good news! I received a new extractor set (extractor, spring and pin) from Midwest Gun Works (MGW SKU S5950229). My macro lens isn't good enough to capture the difference, but the tip of the new extractor is contoured a bit differently than the original. Then, with the help of P04R (above), I was able to get the new extractor set installed.

Hint: In addition to P04R's suggestions , use a rubber band to hold the extractor and spring in place while juggling the pin and punch.

More good news! I was able to get off two test shots before a thunderstorm hit here, and it extracted perfectly.

Bad news ... Midwest Gun Works continues to show the extractors as being out of stock.

Sigh,
Dave

Thanks P04R and Dave for the advice.
My 17HMR with Lilja barrel started failing to extract recently. Actually last week it started. I did order the extractor kit from MGW a couple days ago and do not want to take apart until it arrives. It appears to me you would tap the pin from the outside in. Especially if the pin is tapered, The outside hole looks to be smaller than the inside hole.
Is this correct?
I have also read you could file the existing extractor but have not found any information on where to file it at.
Thanks in advance for any information.
Danny

I'd call it top and bottom, but I think you got it. It's a cylindrical hole drilled just far enough to break that small hole, so you can get at the pin. Very small punch through the small hole and gently tap the pin out.

If it worked before and started doing it just recently I would guess some crud has found its way under the extractor claw limiting its movement. Disassembly and cleaning is the first thing to do. Good chance to carefully inspect the claw when it's out. You want a sharp chisel point on it, any kind of hook shape to the point is no-no. Only time you would file the claw is to get rid of the burr that is making it hook shaped. Best to be overly cautious with any metal removal as there is only one way the thing works and million ways to mess it up. Feeding problems are the time when you go to town on that claw, but that's another story entirely.

If it doesn't start working after cleaning the next thing to check is the barrel. First thing to do is to clean the chamber. Next thing might be (Can't say about Lilja barrels, but) Sako barrels sometimes have too shallow extractor groove for the claw to properly hook under the rim, so filing the groove deeper would be the fix. While keeping the original angle you can deepen the cut right to the point where you don't quite break through to the chamber. Quality square needle file with one dull edge is the tool for this work.

Your quick response is certainly appreciated, Using your advice I am going to try and fix it before the new kit gets here. A fix before replacing would be nice. I will keep you posted.
Thank you,
Danny

P04R
Thanks for building my confidence. I took the pin, extractor and spring out just as you described. My old eyes could not see any burrs but did feel a couple on the extractor with my thumbnail. Sorta like feeling a burr on a knife edge. Two or three very light passes with 600 grit sandpaper on flat surfaces and burrs were gone from edges, Cleaned everything with mineral spirits and blew dry with compressor. Reinstalled everything as you advised, I used an Oring to hold things in place while pushing oiled pin back in. (even remembered correct orientation of pin).
Loaded a 9-round magazine and ran unfired rounds thru it. Then ran 9 rounds thru again firing 5 of those. Everything extracted and ejected fine.
Thank you for your help.
You are appreciated.
Danny

Back