• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Mauser 98 Magnum in 375 H&H

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

jlane330

I have a Sako Mauser 98 Magnum in 375 H&H. I believe, based on the serial number, it's probably from '53-'54 time frame, but can't confirm. I'd like to know more about it. Took it to my local gun shop and all they could do was look up the value in a book (which seemed VERY low, btw). It's in beautiful condition, a quality piece with gorgeous bluing. The original butt pad is there, but collapsed from sitting in a safe.

I've read a few times that the 375 H&H caliber is much more rare than the other calibers. Does this add value to the rifle? After owning it many years, I'm seriously considering selling it. I can never drag this rifle thru the woods on my elk hunts - simply too nice. Trying to better understand the value and market of these. I also have a Hogue overmolded stock with full aluminum bedding that fits that'd I'd sell separately, or together.
Thanks in advance!

Sako Mauser 98 Magnum in 375 H&H Sako Mauser 98 Magnum in 375 H&H Sako Mauser 98 Magnum in 375 H&H Sako Mauser 98 Magnum in 375 H&H Sako Mauser 98 Magnum in 375 H&H

Any of the "Blue Book" values for Sako are usually way off. They can't even identify the different models correctly. Yours is one of the nicest Sakos built on the FN Mauser action I've seen. I'm not well versed on the values of this model, but with the extra stock Im guessing it will get the attention of many a Sako lover. Others here may be able to give you an estimate of it's market value, but it really boils down to what you(a willing seller) and a willing buyer agree to. Try looking for this model on the auction/sale sites for some comparables. Thanks for sharing the pics!!

Your rifle is from a little later than 1953-54. It uses the Sako trigger with trigger safety instead of the earlier FN bolt (wing) safety as found on FN-Sakos from the late 1940's through about 1957. That fact doesn't impact its value much, however. The primary difference in your rifle and the contemporaneous rifle sold under the FN brand is the Sako barrel and Sako stock. The similar FN rifle would have had the same action, but would have been barreled and stocked by FN.

For whatever reason these rifles don't command the market respect they would seem to deserve. The .375 and .300 H&H chamberings do bring somewhat more money than the .30-06 and .270 in the same gun. Sako also made a few other calibers in this same rifle for distribution in Europe like the 8x60 and the 8x60S and maybe a couple of other metric calibers which weren't imported to the U.S. I've seen nice .30-06's priced around $600 languish for lack of a buyer. However, a .375 should garner a bit more interest.

Any of the "Blue Book" values for Sako are usually way off. They can't even identify the different models correctly. Yours is one of the nicest Sakos built on the FN Mauser action I've seen. I'm not well versed on the values of this model, but with the extra stock Im guessing it will get the attention of many a Sako lover. Others here may be able to give you an estimate of it's market value, but it really boils down to what you(a willing seller) and a willing buyer agree to. Try looking for this model on the auction/sale sites for some comparables. Thanks for sharing the pics!!

Thank you. I'm pretty fond of the rifle as it's really a quality piece of machinery. To me, it looks even better in person (pics of guns are tough). I've looked at the auction sites but honestly haven't seen a similar rifle come up. I'm sure I just missed one.

Your rifle is from a little later than 1953-54. It uses the Sako trigger with trigger safety instead of the earlier FN bolt (wing) safety as found on FN-Sakos from the late 1940's through about 1957. That fact doesn't impact its value much, however. The primary difference in your rifle and the contemporaneous rifle sold under the FN brand is the Sako barrel and Sako stock. The similar FN rifle would have had the same action, but would have been barreled and stocked by FN.

For whatever reason these rifles don't command the market respect they would seem to deserve. The .375 and .300 H&H chamberings do bring somewhat more money than the .30-06 and .270 in the same gun. Sako also made a few other calibers in this same rifle for distribution in Europe like the 8x60 and the 8x60S and maybe a couple of other metric calibers which weren't imported to the U.S. I've seen nice .30-06's priced around $600 languish for lack of a buyer. However, a .375 should garner a bit more interest.

Can you explain the difference in the safeties? I assume the wing safety would be on the bolt, like my Win Model 70? I've seen an old ad for the Sako's (below) and it visually appears the magnum's were different in several areas vs the Forester. For example, it appears that the safety is different (wing on the Forester, can't tell on the Magnum). The butt stock has a different profile, the bolt is shaped differently, and the Magnum has different rear sights (the flip up style on the barrel). The recoil lug is also exposed in the sides of the stock. It was my understanding that Sako only used the FN Mauser actions until about '57. I'd love to learn more about what I have. Thanks for your help!

I have no idea what year this ad is from, just found it via a Google search.

Do any of the proof marks or stamping/s help identify the year? It's stamped "Bofors Steel", along with many other marks, as seen below. I do not see any importer marks (FI, Garcia, etc).
Sako Mauser 98 Magnum in 375 H&H Sako Mauser 98 Magnum in 375 H&H Sako Mauser 98 Magnum in 375 H&H Sako Mauser 98 Magnum in 375 H&H

The "Forester" is the L57 Sako action made from 1957 to 1959 and the safety is in the rear bolt shroud & blocks the firing pin (striker). It is Sako's Medium action made for the 243/244, 308, etc size cartridges. The Magmun Mauser was built by Sako using a FN Mauser action, as Sako didn't make a Long action until it introduced the Sako L61R around 1962. The two rifles you are asking about are completely different. Your Sako built on the FN Mauser action, like the one in the ad, had the safety in the trigger unlike the earlier ones (as Stonecreek mentioned) with the wing safety on the bolt. The Bofors stamp was used from the late 50's to about 1968 when it was dropped because of some kind of dispute with the Swedish steel maker. Importer stamps were not required until the Gun Control Act of 1968. FI was the importer at that time. The lion's head & the N near the serial number are the proof mark & the inspector's stamp. BTW, the safety on the L57 is not a "wing" safety, but has a rocker lever that moves for & aft to operate.

To add to the good information paulson brings: Sako started using the Bofors Steel stamp around 1957, so, coupled with the trigger safety, this means your rifle is definitely late 1950's or even early 1960's. Sako continued to use a few "left over" Mauser actions even after the production of their own L61R action began in 1961.

The stamps on the barrel are Sako's. The stamps on the action are from FN and some may be inspection stamps required by Belgium (the source of the FN action) or other European countries.

Sako designed its #4 trigger specifically for the FN Mauser and supplied those triggers to FN for a number of years. Sako subsequently modified their own L46 and L57 actions into the L461 ("L46, version 1961") and L579 ("L57, version 1959") and configured them to use the same trigger and safety. When the long action L61R came along they were already using the #4 "Mauser" trigger, so that was what it was designed to use.

Wow, thank you to both of you, super helpful and interesting! This forum has a ton of great info, and now I see why. I sincerely appreciate the help and explanations both of you have supplied.

Wow, thank you to both of you, super helpful and interesting! This forum has a ton of great info, and now I see why. I sincerely appreciate the help and explanations both of you have supplied.

Boy, I couldn't agree more! So much to learn. You guys - Stone & Paulson - just know too dang much! I learn something even more interesting with every thread I read.

Can you explain the difference in the safeties? I assume the wing safety would be on the bolt, like my Win Model 70?
The wing safety found on the earliest FN Mauser actions used by Sako was different from the Win. M70 safety in that it rotated in a different plane. It's also different from the bolt-sleeve safeties found on the Sako L46 and L57 actions. Here are a couple of pictures: first a closeup of a Mauser bolt-sleeve safety (the action is on "safe" in this picture) and second of the rifle. The picture of the rifle is from the Collectors Firearms Archives and is of an early Sako FN Mauser in 8x60 mm.

free website upload

Last edited:
Back