• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako L57 .244

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

NewYearsColtonChristmas217.jpg

NewYearsColtonChristmas216.jpg

NewYearsColtonChristmas214.jpg

NewYearsColtonChristmas210.jpg

NewYearsColtonChristmas205.jpg

So, long story made short. I deer hunt. My uncle gave me this gun for use by my son in a few years when he is able to shoot. Uncle said he has had it in his safe for 20 years or so and shot it twice.

Me and my father in law were cleaning our guns after the season a few days ago and decided to clean this one. Afterwards, with the safety on, the gun misfired. It did this twice after removing the action. So naturally I took to the internet to see if this was a problem with this model.

I then find out this model is apparently very rare and collectible. Also, the safety misfire is a reason they stopped manufacturing it after 1959? Anyways, I don't want to use it as a rifle if its gonna misfire with the safety on, and I am not going to let my son use it.

I have the original scope and harness it came with I believe. It is in excellent shape. It has been fired more than twice, as when we cleaned it, it was dirty, but its rarely been used to my knowledge. I did take the scope off to put on my new Leupold for hunting, but I got it off now.

I'm really trying to find out what to do with it. Can I replace the safety? Whats the value? I'm not a collector, so I dont want to keep a gun that I cant even use safely? What do the 2 funny engravings on the side mean? One looks like an NJ, the other like an animal or crowned person?

Thanks in advance.

Im sure the experts will chime in here shortly but i wil give it a go here with answering your questions.the L57 you have was made near the end of the production of the L57 to change to the 579.there were roughly 10000 of the 57 models made until the change.The safety issue you mention could be due to someone lowering the trigger pull to much before making you mind up what to do with the rifle have a gunsmith check it out. the244 is a very uncommon caliber in the 57.If you check the document section there are diections on how to up the trigger pull weight if you are confident doing that.the value is hard to tell with your pictures but if it is in excelent condition a 57 in 244 standard grade should bring upwards of 1000.
scott

joshua, I have the same problem with my L57 forester in .308. It fires even when the safety is on, and sometimes when switching the safety from on to off. I think it might be a trigger issue too, because i have taken the entire bolt and safety apart and can't seem to find a problem. My father and a gunsmith also couldn't find a problem with the bolt/ safety. Im hoping it is the trigger assembly. let me know if you learn anything or if you decide to tackle the trigger problem yourself.

I am eventually trying to sell this gun, but it doesn't seem right selling it with its current problem. it is in excellent shape as well. does anyone know my best bet for selling one of these besides a classified ad in the local paper?

scott- are the L57s in 308 worth the same, more, or less than the .244s?

bnflesh the 244 will be worth substantially more then the 308 which in turn is worth more then the 243.have you tried checking the trigger pull weight on the gun if someone messed with it and has it set to low the safety could be rendered inoperable good quality picture will help determine value.
scott

Guys- I agree that the slamfire issues or safety issue is a trigger setting problem. The rifles can also "slamfire" if the stock screws( trigger guard/floorplate location) are over tightened causing the action to "warp" and disturb the sear function. This is not a Sako problem and can be reproduced in a number of bolt guns of various manufacture. -Misako

I purchased a deluxe 243 in 1976. When the safety was on it was OK. However if I put pressure on the trigger and it creeped a tad and then I released the safety the gun would fire with out touching the trigger. My gun smith examined the gun and found the trigger was modified by the former owner. Some one had filed the trigger thinking they could lighten the pull. They ruined the trigger and made the gun unsafe. That's why it was for sale.

I hope this helps someone with a gun with the same problems.

A new trigger solved the problem . Cost $90.00

Last edited:
Giving advice about a trigger & SAFETY problem over the internet is not appropriate. Without being able to physically see the trigger it is IMPOSSIBLE to make an analysis. For someone to say that "just adjust it to two ponds or more & put some nail polish on it" is ridiculous & irresponsible. By making that statement they obviously no regard for your safety or of others around you. I would advise that you, if you don't have the skills & knowledge to do it yourself, find a COMPETENT gunsmith to analyze your problem & make the appropriate corrections before someone gets hurt. I'm just funny that way, I think gun SAFETY is kind of important.

I must agree with PC on this subject. Not being able to physically see, feel , and hear what is going on with any trigger group or assembly leaves little room for advice...We all want to help, this I completely understand, but the best advice sometimes is no advice at all. There are many variables that go into trigger function. Sako triggers are made to be adjusted by the user, BUT, we are all advised to use caution in doing so. If one is not experienced in this process, and chooses to "tinker", he takes full responsibility for the outcome...beit a crisper, lighter trigger or a slam-firing or non-firing timebomb...but to advise someone else to "tinker" is just scary. I know Woodman means well, but this reality check is with due cause...In the electrical trade I get calls from time to time for help with problems people have...If I help them, I go and deal with the troubleshooting in person, never giving any advise, over the phone or online, other than turning the power off until a qualified person can have a look at the problem.:nono:-Bloo

I had the same problem with my L57 and found it to be a simple fix for me. Sometimes the screws can loosen up over the years and the nail polish works well to secure small fasteners.

Last edited:
Sako trigger adj.jpg One thing I noticed right away is the nut appears to be missing from the trigger weight adjustment screw. I'm just sayin

Gr8wH- It does look like there should be a lock nut there. I never had an L57 that had a serial number older than 6300?, so I can't say for sure if the older looking model that Woodman has, had one when new. Hopefully someone chimes in that has the like same assembly. Mine were all as the diagramed trigger. -- Misako

There is a significant difference between the L57 and L579 (in the diagram) trigger/safety system.

Rotating the L57 safety rearward relieves the firing pin tension from the sear, or as some put it "blocks the firing pin". When the safety is moved back to the "off" position the tension is transferred back to the sear, much like when the gun bolt is being shoved forward and turned down. On the L579 trigger ("Sako #4"), the safety merely prevents the internal trigger sear from being tripped, but the firing pin remains tensioned on the main sear.

The same problem of being adjusted too light (too little spring pressure on the internal trigger sear) could cause a problem in either, but with CRITICAL problems like this, if the solution is not readily apparent to the owner, the problem should always be referred to a trusted gunsmith who knows what he is doing.

My one and only SAKO is an L57 in .308 and I have never had a problem with it. The trigger pull is crisp and fairly light, though I never have tested the poundage.
I paid $800 for it 3 years ago and it is in 85-90% condition. The price turned out to be well worth it to me.

I took on this rifle: trigger was set to slightly over 2 lbs and increasing pull to 3 lbs solved the safety on w/ misfire issue. Turns out to be nice, clean .244 w/ very few rounds fired. I understand the 1:12 twist can cause stability probs using bullets of 100 gr, although SC reported his L57 .244 stabilizes Rem 100 gr Core-Lokts. Is it likely the Hornady Custom BT Spire Points will be unstable?

Bsmith...nice pick on the .244! I kinda figured the trigger adjustment would do the trick, but one never knows until things are right in front of them.

I would try 90g and 95g Nosler Ballistic silvertip or an equivalent. I suppose if you plan to hunt deer sized game these pills will do fine, but if those varmints are what you after then surely the 70-80g variety will prove accurate and effective...My next door neighbor hunts with a 6MM in a Remington 660 Mohawk, shooting 80 grainers, he regularly takes Whitetail at 300+ yrds and boasts of one shot on a doe at 600...he's told me the story so many times I can recite it myself, but I listen to him like it was the first time I'd heard it...and its always the same, so I have no need to doubt him!

Congrats on the rare old L57 , and good luck with your load developement!-Bloorooster

View attachment 1514 One thing I noticed right away is the nut appears to be missing from the trigger weight adjustment screw. I'm just sayin

I know I am late to this post but I just signed up and have had a lot of curiosity about Sako L57s. I have three L57s and none of them have a nut on the trigger adjustment screw. If they did it would interfere with the over-travel screw right below it. Lock-tite would be the best solution to retaining the screw. The trigger diagram posted above is an L579 trigger.

Back