• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako L46 Männlicher 22 Hornet

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is stunning. From a review of the bidding, it looks like there were three bidders above $4,000 and two more above $3,000. That's quite an assembly of deep-pockets bidders. I thought about bidding but when it went past 2500 in the first couple of days, I gave up that notion and broke out the popcorn to watch the fun.

It doesn't seem like anyone was discouraged by the question on the bottom metal. As we observed earlier, scarce or "rare" Sako models and calibers are commanding record high prices while the prices of the more common models and calibers are flat.

I don't know about the price for the common calibers being flat. I just watched a L461 Sporter in 222 caliber with no sling swivels sell for over $1600.

Paul B. what is the condition of your .244?

I don't know about the price for the common calibers being flat. I just watched a L461 Sporter in 222 caliber with no sling swivels sell for over $1600.
Amazing. Within the past year I bought and sold one for half that. And it was in nice shape, and included a Pecar scope in Sako high rings.

Paul B. what is the condition of your .244?
Amazing. Within the past year I bought and sold one for half that. And it was in nice shape, and included a Pecar scope in Sako high rings.

These posts seem to reflect the wide fluctuations seen in the current market. There are examples of the more common run of the mill Sakos that sell for ridiculous prices, but that usually can be attributed to an unknowledgeable buyer you has seen high asking prices & the prices of the more rare examples & has not done his due diligence. The inflated prices we are currently seeing for truly rare, collectible Sakos isn't transferring to the abundant ones much from what I have seen at live auctions. Seems a high tide doesn't necessarily raise all ships. Stone & icebear are right that the market for "common" Sakos appears to be flat or declining, especially the common caliber Deluxe models. Appears true "collectors" are becoming very discriminating as to where they put their money.

I'm also seeing greater interest in small calibers -- even the more common ones. Naturally, a scarce L46 Bee or Hornet will command a good price, but .222's, .223's, and especially .222 Magnums will sell quicker and often for more money than a .270 or 7mm Magnum.

Condition seems to also make more difference now. A mint L-series gun which shows little or no signs of having been in the field will bring disproportionately more than a good solid "shooter" in 90-95% condition. When "scarce" or "mint" guns go for a significant premium over "shooters" that is a sign that a collector market is emerging. I don't think that existed just a few years ago.

I would like to have a nice 223 shooter to fill in a hole I have but refuse to pay black market price for one. Seems like all the 461's are commanding more and more. 222's were and are mostly shooters. Too find a mint one now is getting harder.

Congratulations Gary . . . I know one deep pocket,collector that did not go above the $4000 range because the return policy was “unspecified”.

So when the government starts collecting sales tax on internet transactions from sellers ??

Congratulations Gary . . . I know one deep pocket,collector that did not go above the $4000 range because the return policy was “unspecified”.

So when the government starts collecting sales tax on internet transactions from sellers ??
Many sites are collecting internet sales tax now. However, only retail outlets with sales tax licenses are require to comply & file these collections with their state revenue depts. Casual occasional sales between private individuals are exempt. There is no system or way to track them anyway. Places like Gunbroker, et al, may end up being required to "pay"or collect some type of sales tax, but as of now there is no mechanism to collect tax on private sales between individuals.

Last edited:
On the Mannlicher Hornet that brought over $5000. Did you notice, it was nice but far from excellent condition. There was some decent size dents in the wood, and the one side the checkering on the forearm looks like it was smashed or flattened.

What would one bring if it was in excellent condition??

I see a minty L46 fullstock .222 for sale in Canada for $3000. (firm)...that's approx. $2250. (US) And thats for a common caliber. The rising prices for rare model Sakos makes me wonder if the time might be right to dispose of my old fullstock Sako M78 .22LR.

Last edited:
Many sites are collecting internet sales tax now. However, only retail outlets with sales tax licenses are require to comply & file these collections with their state revenue depts. Casual occasional sales between private individuals are exempt. There is no system or way to track them anyway. Places like Gunbroker, et al, may end up being required to "pay"or collect some type of sales tax, but as of now there is no mechanism to collect tax on private sales between individuals.
If you think there is no way to tract sales on gunbroker. I’ve got a bridge in Iowa that is for sale, real cheap.

If you think there is no way to tract sales on gunbroker. I’ve got a bridge in Iowa that is for sale, real cheap.
Not saying there is no way to track sales, but there is no way the gov't can or will force "everyone" to get a retail sales tax license & file a quarterly statement & payment. Obviously you have no understanding of how sales tax is collected. Retailers, all of which are required by law to have a "Sales Tax Certificate", collect & then transfer those monies to each state the sales tax is due. Private sales between individuals are currently exempt & there is no system by which any state can collect from them. BTW, I've got a bridge in Ohio that you can buy with no sales tax if you like!!

A sale in one state which is consummated in another state may be theoretically subject to sales tax in the state in which it was consummated, but the collection of the tax is only enforceable if (1) the seller is a retailer who is required to have a sales tax collection permit, and (2) the seller has a sales tax permit in both states.

This is often the case with large retailers like Cabela's, who will collect sales tax regardless of the state where the sale was consummated. Cabela's now even refuses to accept another retailer's reseller status and insists on collecting sales tax even when the sale is tax exempt due to the sale being to another sales tax permittee for purposes of resale. Due to this the retailers I know no longer do business with Cabela's.

Not only are "occasional" sales between individuals exempt from sales taxes (in most states), it would be illegal in most states to "collect" sales tax without being a registered retailing entity with possessing a sales tax permit.

BTW, I've bought a number of bridges in the past, but am having difficulty getting clear title to them and people keep using them without my permission or paying my toll. I've about decided to give up and put them up for sale. Anyone interested? And, there's no sales tax on real estate here in Texas!

Good information stonecreek. Its been some time since I have bought from Cabela's. I have in the past had them ship to their store in Oregon for pre-buy inspection without any problems. No sales tax here either so they probably do not transfer from store to store any more. Just wondering because pricing always seemed to be more flexible in some stores than others maybe due to location and popularity of the model or caliber of the item. Sakojim.

No sales tax here
Since there's no sales tax in Oregon then presumably Cabela's would not charge sales tax for guns transferred there from another store and sold in Oregon. They charge the tax in the state where the gun is delivered. That's 8.25% in Texas, so you can see why reseller's can't afford to buy from Cabela's since they would have to add 8.25% to their normal mark up, then collect another 8.25% when they sold it at retail.

It seems like us poor folks are just running out of options to get a fair shake on taxes. I never will understand why a personal property item should be allowed to be taxed when the income money that has been used to purchase it has already been taxed. Hope that the voters in sales tax free States are sharp enough to prevent that from ever happening to them. Once a tax is implemented it never goes away, it just goes UP!

I heard that if the Dems get control that they'll try to tax anything of value, like your gun collection. If they make us register them then I guess they might be able to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back