• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako 300 Weatherby Questions

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Sapper12B

Afternoon Gents,

I was hoping you could help me find out some information about a Rifle my Father gave me years ago and has been in my safe for quite some time now. I have a Sako chambered in .300 Weatherby Magnum. All I know is it has a Mauser action on it and i have some pictures to show. Serial number is 104XXX and it comes with a Compass on the grip. It loooks like some modifications have been done as well. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image9.jpeg
    image9.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 56
  • image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 56
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 55
Sako did make their long action rifles on a FN Mauser action (back in the 50's) prior to the introduction the Sako L61R action. Your gun has a Sako barrel but the lack of checkering, ebony fore end tip with white line spacer, & compass grip cap make me tend to believe it is a custom Mauser built with a Sako barrel rather than a Sako produced rifle. Does it say Weatherby anywhere? All I can see is Magnum 300. Older Sako barrels marked as such usually were the 300 H&H Magnum, as the 300 Win Mag had yet to be introduced. Your rifle could have been rechambered for the Weatherby, but I would confirm before firing. Does the butt pad have Sako on it? More pics & info would help us determine what you have. Others her have vastly more knowledge about the FN Mauser Sakos than I, so they should be able to resolve exactly what you have.

Sako did make their long action rifles on a FN Mauser action (back in the 50's) prior to the introduction the Sako L61R action. Your gun has a Sako barrel but the lack of checkering, ebony fore end tip with white line spacer, & compass grip cap make me tend to believe it is a custom Mauser built with a Sako barrel rather than a Sako produced rifle. Does it say Weatherby anywhere? All I can see is Magnum 300. Older Sako barrels marked as such usually were the 300 H&H Magnum, as the 300 Win Mag had yet to be introduced. Your rifle could have been rechambered for the Weatherby, but I would confirm before firing. Does the butt pad have Sako on it? More pics & info would help us determine what you have. Others her have vastly more knowledge about the FN Mauser Sakos than I, so they should be able to resolve exactly what you have.

paulsonconstruction,

It does say "300 Weath" above that "Sako" and below it the serial number all on left side of barrel. On the other side of the barrel it has "Finland"

image3.jpeg

The rifle was originally chambered in 300 H&H, as has been mentioned, but as you say, has been now re chambered and the barrel stamped,
Your rifle could have had the stock changed or modified, or may have been sold as a barreled action when new,
Either way a nice early rifle, to be enjoyed!
L-46

After refocusing these old eyes & looking again I do see the "300 WEATH" just below the Sako stamping on the barrel. That it was stamped 300 magnum by Sako confirms L-46's conclusion that the barrel was rechambered from 300 H&H. Whether or not the action was fitted to the Sako barrel by Sako is anybody's guess, as FN actions were pretty much all the same. Not sure if Sako did any action stamping on their FN rifles, but I see no stampings on the action. Normally serial numbers are stamped on the action, not the barrel, as barrels can be changed at will. The stock is definitely not Sako. The fact that is was rechambered & restamped, along with the other anomalies, reinforces my belief that this is a custom gun barreled with a Sako barrel & not a Sako FN Mauser. This is not surprising, as Sako barrels are highly regarded. Regardless, this is a great action & a great barrel & that it came from your father gives it great value to you I'm sure. Enjoy this fine old rifle & use it. Hard to find that kind of quality today.

Paulsonconstruction,

Thank you very much for the information you have provided. The rifle does hold great value since it was my fathers who can't go hunting with me anymore.

The barreled action appears to be originally a .300 H&H Sako-Mauser (the barrel is stamped "Made in Finland). Many, many of these were (unfortunately in my opinion) rechambered to .300 WBY. The stock is an aftermarket replacement. The stock doesn't look like much of a prize to begin with, and now has a crack at the tang, making it questionable as a shooter. A stock for a 98 Mauser could be fitted to this barreled action, which the find old Sako product deserves.

Latest posts

Back