• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako 222 magnum on a L57 action, long two piece forend with an engraved floorplate?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hi, I was told that this was a European model , it has a L57 action with stock and two different pieces that make forend. It has a hand engraved floorplate. Four digit serial number 57xx. Any body have a similar rifle?

Attachments

• Sako 222 magnum on a L57 action, long two piece forend  with an engraved floorplate?
    20190415_051350_resize_0.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Sako 222 magnum on a L57 action, long two piece forend  with an engraved floorplate?
    20190415_051117_resize_26.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 93
    20190415_051419_resize_53.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 89
    20190415_051341_resize_72.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 83
    20190415_051231_resize_39.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 88
    20190415_051252_resize_65.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 86
    20190415_051358_resize_5.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 81
well that one is really very unusual - any chance of more pics of the action - and the bolt face - 222 Mag usually not on the L57 or the later L579 action as its a smaller rim size. L57 was 243/308/6mm Rem bolt face as far as I know or understand. But also one wonders if its a custom job esp. the add-on stock piece. Where did you get it?

I believe your rifle is a factory production as Sako did make a very few 222 Rem Mags on the L57 action. I have also seen that "two" piece full stock before & the floorplate was an option & was marketed as "French" engraving. Very unusual, interesting & rare rifle, IMHO. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Last edited:
I think that the factory stock has been modified from a regular sporter to a Mannlicher by the addition of a fore piece. However, the original chambering of .222 Magnum is likely correct. Sako made a very few of these on the L57 action before introducing the "stretched" version of the L46, the L469. If you'll post your serial number I'll be glad to check it against the records to assure that it is in the original chambering. Quite a find, even if modified!

I believe all factory. Looks like my L57 Mannlicher Deluxe in .243 (except mine's got a plate vice a recoil pad). That is special order plate #B9555 (tree rat, FI catalog pics attached).

congrats on a great find !!
DeerGoose
Sako 222 magnum on a L57 action, long two piece forend  with an engraved floorplate? Sako 222 magnum on a L57 action, long two piece forend  with an engraved floorplate?

Cary's & deergoose's rifles are about the 4th & 5th ones I've seen or seen pics of that have the Mannlincher stock with the contrasting wood forend extension. They all look exactly alike, which reinforces that they are indeed factory produced & not a one off custom stock. These have to be some of the rarest of L57's or Sakos in general for that matter. I've never seen a fullstock with the French engraved floorplate before. Deergoose, is your floorplate engraving called the "Fish God"?

Wow, I find out something new almost every time I surf our message boards. Who knew they made mannlicher deluxe models with engraved floorplates?!? :cool:

These have to be some of the rarest of L57's or Sakos in general for that matter. I've never seen a fullstock with the French engraved floorplate before.
Tell me about.....neither have I. Mr. Welch's rifle has to be the closest thing to a Sako Holy Grail rifle that I've seen!! L57 Mannlicher Deluxe rifle, super rare .222Magnum chambering, and a special order French engraved floorplate assembly!!! Holy smoke, that is just fantastic.

DeerGoose

I have a custom on an L57 which has one of the French-engraved floorplates. It's the only one I've ever seen in person, and exquisitely engraved with great detail.

Thanks for the info on the factory Mannlichers with the fore end-added piece. I didn't know they existed.

Is it possible that these rifles could have been custom ordered from the Sako Custom Shop service by the some of SCA members? Wonder if the dating of these rifles might coincide with that time period. Sakojim.

I have a custom on an L57 which has one of the French-engraved floorplates. It's the only one I've ever seen in person, and exquisitely engraved with great detail.

Thanks for the info on the factory Mannlichers with the fore end-added piece. I didn't know they existed.
Your welcome, have a great day!

Is it possible that these rifles could have been custom ordered from the Sako Custom Shop service by the some of SCA members? Wonder if the dating of these rifles might coincide with that time period. Sakojim.
No. They pre-date the old SCA by a number of years.

The French-engraved bottom metal was an aftermarket addition available through Firearms International, not a factory option. It is certainly possible that some rifles came from the factory with the engraved floorplates since Sako would often do an odd set of features on a rifle, but the way you normally obtained the French-engraved floorplate was to order it from FI and install it yourself in the place of the regular bottom metal.

I have only ever seen the French-engraved floorplates offered for the L57. Since the L57 had such a short run of production (late 1957 through 1959 -- except for some "stragglers" made from parts) and numbered only around 10,000 actions (many of them used for proprietary rifles like Colts and Wards), the offer of the French-engraved bottom metal was probably for only a very brief period.

Stone. Thank you very much for that information. It verifies that these are probably some of the rarest of the rare Sako variations. Wonder how many are still unknown and hiding from us. Would also be interesting to know if any ever found their way to owners located other than the USA. Sakojim.

Back