Sako 222 magnum on a L57 action, long two piece forend with an engraved floorplate?

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by Cary Welch, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Cary Welch

Cary Welch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Hi, I was told that this was a European model , it has a L57 action with stock and two different pieces that make forend. It has a hand engraved floorplate. Four digit serial number 57xx. Any body have a similar rifle?

Attached Files:

icebear, deergoose and ricksengines like this.

2. kj60

kj60 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    well that one is really very unusual - any chance of more pics of the action - and the bolt face - 222 Mag usually not on the L57 or the later L579 action as its a smaller rim size. L57 was 243/308/6mm Rem bolt face as far as I know or understand. But also one wonders if its a custom job esp. the add-on stock piece. Where did you get it?

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I believe your rifle is a factory production as Sako did make a very few 222 Rem Mags on the L57 action. I have also seen that "two" piece full stock before & the floorplate was an option & was marketed as "French" engraving. Very unusual, interesting & rare rifle, IMHO. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    deergoose and ricksengines like this.
  4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I think that the factory stock has been modified from a regular sporter to a Mannlicher by the addition of a fore piece. However, the original chambering of .222 Magnum is likely correct. Sako made a very few of these on the L57 action before introducing the "stretched" version of the L46, the L469. If you'll post your serial number I'll be glad to check it against the records to assure that it is in the original chambering. Quite a find, even if modified!

5. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    I believe all factory. Looks like my L57 Mannlicher Deluxe in .243 (except mine's got a plate vice a recoil pad). That is special order plate #B9555 (tree rat, FI catalog pics attached).

congrats on a great find !!
    DeerGoose
    Engravings_1.jpg Engravings_4.jpg

6. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Here are some (crappy) pics of mine......L57 deluxe fullstock in .243. Fishgods plate.

DeerGoose
    IMG_0305.JPG IMG_0306.JPG IMG_0307.JPG

icebear, tripledeuce and ricksengines like this.
  7. Cary Welch

Cary Welch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Nice looking 243! Thanks for info, Cary

deergoose likes this.
  8. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Cary's & deergoose's rifles are about the 4th & 5th ones I've seen or seen pics of that have the Mannlincher stock with the contrasting wood forend extension. They all look exactly alike, which reinforces that they are indeed factory produced & not a one off custom stock. These have to be some of the rarest of L57's or Sakos in general for that matter. I've never seen a fullstock with the French engraved floorplate before. Deergoose, is your floorplate engraving called the "Fish God"?

deergoose likes this.
  9. Paul B.

Paul B. Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Wow, I find out something new almost every time I surf our message boards. Who knew they made mannlicher deluxe models with engraved floorplates?!? :cool:

10. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Fantastic piece. Thanks for posting the photos and info.

11. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    yes sir.

DeerGoose

12. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Tell me about.....neither have I. Mr. Welch's rifle has to be the closest thing to a Sako Holy Grail rifle that I've seen!! L57 Mannlicher Deluxe rifle, super rare .222Magnum chambering, and a special order French engraved floorplate assembly!!! Holy smoke, that is just fantastic.

DeerGoose

13. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I have a custom on an L57 which has one of the French-engraved floorplates. It's the only one I've ever seen in person, and exquisitely engraved with great detail.

Thanks for the info on the factory Mannlichers with the fore end-added piece. I didn't know they existed.

14. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Is it possible that these rifles could have been custom ordered from the Sako Custom Shop service by the some of SCA members? Wonder if the dating of these rifles might coincide with that time period. Sakojim.

15. Cary Welch

Cary Welch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Your welcome, have a great day!

16. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    No. They pre-date the old SCA by a number of years.

The French-engraved bottom metal was an aftermarket addition available through Firearms International, not a factory option. It is certainly possible that some rifles came from the factory with the engraved floorplates since Sako would often do an odd set of features on a rifle, but the way you normally obtained the French-engraved floorplate was to order it from FI and install it yourself in the place of the regular bottom metal.

I have only ever seen the French-engraved floorplates offered for the L57. Since the L57 had such a short run of production (late 1957 through 1959 -- except for some "stragglers" made from parts) and numbered only around 10,000 actions (many of them used for proprietary rifles like Colts and Wards), the offer of the French-engraved bottom metal was probably for only a very brief period.

17. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    If you look close at those pictures, you can see that both rifles have a third piece of wood as a spacer between the main stock and the forend...

deergoose likes this.
  18. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Stone. Thank you very much for that information. It verifies that these are probably some of the rarest of the rare Sako variations. Wonder how many are still unknown and hiding from us. Would also be interesting to know if any ever found their way to owners located other than the USA. Sakojim.