• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Ringmount Height?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Jaywalker

I'll be mounting a scope - Leupold VXIII 2.5X-8X with 36mm objective.

1. Which height in original Sako ringmounts?

2. Which height in current Leupold ringmounts?

3. Is there a reason, other than lack of windage controls, to avoid Leupold ringmounts?

Thanks.

Agree with medium height, but I wouldn't take a set of Leupold Sako rings as a gift (that is a bilingual pun - the word gift means poison in German). The lack of windage adjustment means you've got to slide the front ring back and forth on the dovetail to get it centered - which can cause problems with eye relief. I'd even rather have a Redfield turn-in mount (which I loathe) than screw around with the Leupold. Spend the money and get real Sako rings.

I have mounted scopes on Sakos, mine & for others, on almost 100 rifles using Leupold ringmounts & not once did I have any difficult with "windage" or eye relief. Some are obsessed with "centering" the scope with their mounts, but it is hardly necessary. All the scopes I know of have a "windage" turret designed for the expressed purpose of correcting any slight alignment variances that ALL scope mounting systems display. Leupolds are the most streamlined, compact, & lightest scope mounts you can put on a Sako & I have yet to have them break or fail in anyway. Just my two cents.

I concur that the Leupold Ringmounts are excellent and trouble-free mounts for Sako Dovetails. They provide some flexibility in fore-aft placement, and like Paulson, I've never had any difficulty with them failing to be well-centered for windage.

The Sako Dovetail mounting system is misunderstood by many, but is one of the best for strong, dependable scope mounting. Its taper ensures that with every shot the recoil of the rifle acts to tighten the mount's grip on the action.

I have in current use quite few of each of the original Sako ringmounts, Leupold Ringmounts, Redfield/Burris mounts, and Millett Angle Loc mounts (which were at one time marketed by Sako as factory mounts) and I've found all of them more than satisfactory. Some have advantages over the others in terms of flexibility or height, and as Paulson says, the Leupolds have the advantage of being the lightest and cleanest.

About the only mounts I don't care to use are the Sako two-piece Optilocks, but that's because they are too high for most scopes I use and are needlessly heavy -- they are amply strong and dependable. And of course there are the homely Weavers, which are actually quite serviceable other than their unattractive appearance.

It is said that the Warne aluminum vertically split rings would wedge apart under heavy recoil. I can't say as I never tried any. But the similar steel Warne ringmounts are fine if you like vertically-split rings.

The Leopold mount tool indicate high mounts for a Sako L61R for a Dovetail for my 1 inch scope and a 40 mm objective.

Will medium work?

Ok, it was said they would so I went with it. Yes they worked. Objective on the scope is technicality 40 mm, but with the Parallax adjustment on the front like this one is 55 mm (newer scopes are putting it on the side)

Scope is out of production so irrelevant as to mfg, but gives a boost to the medium]

I would not want much less clearance on it.

With it on the side of the scope you can get an idea if a low ring would fit.

Last edited:
Yes, "medium" Leupold ringmounts clear a 40 mm objective just fine. They might be close if it is an adjustable objective with a fat collar, however.

Likewise, some (unnecessary and undesirable) "lens protectors" might not fit between the objective and the barrel. But to get the proper eye alignment you need the scope as low as possible, so definitely use the "medium" ringmounts and put the lens covers in the round file where they belong.

Thank you:

They did work with adequate clearance, not so close as to be concern, not a lot of excess space.

The collar on the scope was 55 mm and cleared ok.

Newer scope with the side parallax adjustment would be fine.

Lows might even work, but the scope height is good to the eye as is so I would only experiment if you could take them back.

Leopold package fell apart as I was opening it, not the usually struggle where you need a blade or scissors to cut.

I was lucky to find the 4th screw!

I have had enough time shooting the 30-06 that for target I would likely go with Medium Rings.

Hunting wise for standing the low ones are right.

Latest posts

Back