• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Rare Anschutz-Sako L46 .222

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
I've had this one for several months but am just now getting around to analyzing its features. Anschutz made just a few .222's on Sako L46 actions, and I finally came across one in decent, if not outstanding shape. It does appear all original, however.
Rare Anschutz-Sako L46 .222

The L46 action is a late one (54,000's) but curiously has the stamped bottom metal usually found on earlier ones. In the Sako inspection records its serial number is listed appropriately as an action-only, inspected Nov 1961. Anschutz made one obvious alteration to the action by milling the Sako Tapered dovetails down to rimfire tip-off contour. This is how their own small centerfires (Hornet and .222) are made, so I guess they wanted to keep things consistent.

The barrel and stock appear to be classic Anschutz -- skipline checkering, subtle hog-back buttstock, and sharply tapered and narrow forearm. It also has a THIRD screw in the forearm which appears to screw into a threaded hole on the underside of the barrel swell, although I haven't had it out of the stock to see. The slender stock makes for a delightfully svelte little rifle that feels good in the hands.

The barrel has both a barrel swell where the two-range folding rear sight is mounted and an integral muzzle swell where the front sight is located. Rifling appears conventional 6-land. Interestingly, they engraved the action number on the barrel swell underneath the rear sight. German proof markings are found near the breech. I wonder, since the action dates from late 1961, if the "162" on the barrel might mean Jan 1962 for the date Anschutz completed the rifle? Perhaps someone who is more familiar with Anschutz than me can chime in on this.

I haven't had the opportunity to scope and shoot it yet, but here are some photos for you.

Ansch2r.jpg
Ansch7r.jpg
Ansch6r.jpg
Ansch4r.jpg
Ansch1r.jpg
Ansch5r.jpg

Last edited:
I mounted a Leupold Compact 2-7 on it. This short little scope seems perfect for it and doesn't interfere with the rear sight. Forgot to mention, the fore end has just a hint of Schnabel flare at the tip.
An1r.jpg

And here's a close up showing the shadow line cheekpiece and more detail of the Anschutz skip line checkering. Looking forward to when the weather clears up so I can try it at the bench.
An2r.jpg

Back