• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Range Day with Sako, Tikka, and CZ

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

icebear

Sako-addicted
Had a good day at the range with two Sakos, a Tikka, and a CZ. I recently upgraded the scopes on all four of these guns and I had sighted them in at 25 yards. Today was to dial in a 100-yard zero and do a few quick groups for accuracy with various kinds of ammo. Test groups were mostly 3 shots each.

First up was an L461 Mannlicher-style carbine in .222, with a Zeiss 3-9x Diavari-C. This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite rifles. Best group today was 1" with Lapua 50-grain JSP ammo. The gun has shot better - best group so far was half an inch - but I'm still happy with anything an inch or better. I bought a couple hundred rounds of the Lapua ammo on sale at Graf's and I wish I'd bought twice as much. Now the only Lapua .222 ammo I can find online is 55-grain. I haven't had good results with 55-grain bullets in the past with Sakos, but maybe I'll give it a try.

Next was the first rifle's near-twin, an L461 full-length rifle with a Mannlicher stock and a 10x Zeiss Diatal-C. This one was the surprise of the day, as I have generally had mediocre results with it, even with Lapua ammo. Today the waves of quantum uncertainty must have converged, because I got a 5/8"group. I'll have to do some more testing to see if that group was a fluke or if the gun is going to settle down and deliver that kind of results consistently.

I got another surprise with the Zeiss Diatal scope, which has an adjustable objective. On most American AO scopes, including Leupold and Burris, the adjustable objective only adjusts parallax. The Zeiss, however, has a focusing objective that adjusts both parallax and focus. I was shocked when I looked through the scope and the 100-yard target was way out of focus - but then I realized that the objective was set for close range. Turned it to 100 yards and bingo - razor sharp.

Having gotten the two Sakos sighted in the way I wanted, I turned to my Tikka 695 in 6.5x55 Swedish. Scope is a 3-9x Swarovski. This one has always been kind of an "almost" shooter, turning in groups around an inch and a quarter to an inch and a half with various factory ammo. I did once manage to put together a handload that would shoot under an inch, but I don't have any left (or maybe it's just been misplaced). Got the Tikka zeroed and it shot just a hair over an inch with 140-grain Remington JSP ammo and 1-3/8 with 139-grain PPU. One of these days I'll have to load up some more handloads, but current performance is adequate for hunting deer, etc. I was kind of surprised at how well the Remington ammo shot, as I've never found Remington to be synonymous with great accuracy.

Last on the menu was an older, Brno-built CZ 527 in .22 Hornet with a Leupold 3-9x compact. This thing has given me fits since I bought it, with feeding problems and erratic accuracy. I traced most of the problems to bad ammo, and shot it today with 45-grain factory loads from Hornady and Prvi Partizan. About the PPU ammo the less said the better. It shot lousy groups, didn't seem to want to feed smoothly (might have been the magazine), and ejection was sticky. On the other hand, the Hornady worked perfectly and shot a 5-shot, 1" group and a 3-shot, 3/4" group. So, perhaps there's a better future in store for my .22 Hornet.

For those of you who have Sako or other .22 Hornet bolt actions: how well does your rifle feed? The design of the cartridge, which was originally designed for single shots and lever guns, would seem to be sub-optimal for use in a bolt gun. The CZ 527, which has a Mauser type action, was apparently designed for the .222 cartridge and the (detachable) .22 Hornet mag is just a single-stack .222 mag with a filler at the rear. The bullet noses tend to move around under recoil and don't always line up well with the feed ramp. Sometimes the noses will drop down a bit. The bolt must be worked vigorously; if you push it slowly it will jam every time.

Two Sakos and a Tikka with their newly installed scopes:
3 with new scopes.JPG

Targets from the pair of .222's
Sako 222 Rifle & Carbine001.jpg
And the Tikka
Tikka 695 6,5x55 9-27-19001.jpg
And the CZ
CZ 22 Hornet 9-27-19001.jpg

Sounds and looks like you had a very enjoyable day at the range! That's a tough act to beat for pure pleasure in my book. I really like all the rifles and the vintage German glass, well, with a name like Schaufler, let's just say I'm quite envious.
Regarding the .22 Hornet, it's another cartridge I like a lot though I've only owned one rifle chambered in it. It was a Ruger Model 77 I purchased new sometime in the eighties. I had no trouble at all with it feeding or extracting its .22 Hornet fodder, but this rifle never shot well averaging groups in the 2"-3" range no matter what I shot through it. This was a particularly painful disappointment for me because I had sold my H&K 300 with H&K claw mount (a semi-automatic chambered in .22 WMR) which was deadly accurate and which I'd killed scores of groundhogs with at my then vacation property in West Virginia. The Ruger .22 Hornet was to be its replacement. Ugh.

My sympathy on your experience with the Ruger 77. I have only had one of those, a .22-250 I took in trade, and I never could get it to shoot decently. I resold it a few months later. The HK-300 is a very cool item, and these days they go for a lot of money. I never had one of those, but I had a 770 which is a .308 with the same styling. Like your 300, it was extremely accurate. At the time nobody knew what it was or how accurate it was, so when I went to sell it I had a tough time getting my money out. Now it would be worth three times what I sold it for then.

I've thought about getting a Ruger #1 or a Winchester 1885 in .22 Hornet. I used to have an 1885 Low Wall in .22 K-Hornet, but that is long gone. It's kind of a neat cartridge, no recoil and quite accurate in the right rifle.

My sympathy on your experience with the Ruger 77. I have only had one of those, a .22-250 I took in trade, and I never could get it to shoot decently. I resold it a few months later. The HK-300 is a very cool item, and these days they go for a lot of money. I never had one of those, but I had a 770 which is a .308 with the same styling. Like your 300, it was extremely accurate. At the time nobody knew what it was or how accurate it was, so when I went to sell it I had a tough time getting my money out. Now it would be worth three times what I sold it for then.

I've thought about getting a Ruger #1 or a Winchester 1885 in .22 Hornet. I used to have an 1885 Low Wall in .22 K-Hornet, but that is long gone. It's kind of a neat cartridge, no recoil and quite accurate in the right rifle.

We seem to have a lot in common! I too owned an H&K 770 and an HK91, it’s military-style counterpart. The 770 was a great rifle and I took several nice bears with it in Quebec. The one thing I hated about it though was the ridiculous location and non-ergonomic functioning of its safety. It was an oddly styled, but very functional and accurate weapon.
Of the two single-shot rifles you mentioned, I would go with the Winchester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ice bear-sounds like you had a wonderful day at the range. The guy I got my Leupold scope from has a Winchester 43 in 22Hornet he is trying to sell me. I forget the name of the scope(European) and a box of ammo for $750 plus shipping. My gun budget is rather low at this point. If anyone is interested I can pass on info. He has health problems that keep him from ever shooting any rifle again. Sad. Barry

Ice bear-sounds like you had a wonderful day at the range. The guy I got my Leupold scope from has a Winchester 43 in 22Hornet he is trying to sell me. I forget the name of the scope(European) and a box of ammo for $750 plus shipping. My gun budget is rather low at this point. If anyone is interested I can pass on info. He has health problems that keep him from ever shooting any rifle again. Sad. Barry
Sorry to hear about your friend. I run into quite a few guys in similar situations at gun shows, selling off their guns. As you say, sad. The Winchester 43 is kind of a neat gun, but it's not on my want list at the moment. Thanks for passing along the info. It could be a good deal for somebody.

Back