• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Please help me ID this possible Sako FN action

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

TRexF16

Greetings, this is my first post and I joined to tap into the knowledge here regarding the original Sakos built on FN Belgian actions.
I think I have done enough research to narrow down my question to one essential one: "Did FN lightly stamp a serial number of their own on the action flat behind the recoil lug on the M98 actions they supplied to Sako for the Sako High Power and Magnum rifles?" and along with that, if not obvious,
"Did Sako ignore that s/n when they stamped their own (starting with 100,000, if I understand right) on the left side of the barrel under the word "SAKO?"
It would seem silly that FN wouldn't have some way to track each action, but obviously Sako used their own numbering on their rifles' barrels.

Here's the longer version:
A friend has a custom 30-06 he acquired long ago that appears to have been built on a Belgian FN that is, as near as I can tell, identical in every way (except one) to the Sako FN High-Power actions, and I haven't found any other FN actions that have all the same Sako-like features as this one.
The rifle was built by (apparently) the "Lazy J Gun Shop", possibly located in Las Vegas, NM (zip code 87701). Google searches for same are unsuccessful.
IMG-7975.jpg

They marked this on the underside of the barrel, in the stock barrel channel. Their only visible mark on the barrel is the chambering , "30..06". There is also a 4 digit serial number marked on the left side of the receiver ring. It appears to have been marked using the same stamps as the gun shop name and the chambering. It is the only visible mark on the action when installed in the stock:
IMG-7976.jpg

Note the Belgian proofs under the wood line on the left side of that action and no other stampings, just like the Sako FNs.
The s/n it appears the gun shop stamped is the same as what looks like the original one assigned by FN under the action flat:
IMG-7985.jpg

The trigger seems a perfect match to the triggers that were supplied on the FN Sakos, like the one in this online ad:
https://www.gunsamerica.com/995131454/sako-fn-mauser-98-270-complete-barreled-actio.htm
Here is the trigger on this rifle:
IMG-7977.jpg

IMG-7980.jpg

And the markings under the wood line on the left side of the receiver:
IMG-7979.jpg

So my theory is the gunsmith who built this harvested an early Sako FN action, replaced the barrel and stock with his own, and stamped the s/n from underside the action (that FN put on it at manufacture) to be US law compliant.
What say you, wise folks?
Thanks so much.
Rex

I think you just have a custom rifle built on a FN Mauser action. Sako sold their trigger to FN & FN then independently marketed their actions with the Sako trigger to others. Millions of Mauser actions were made into rifles by multiple makers & independent gunsmiths but I see nothing in the photos that links that rifle to Sako in any way. I also don't think the rifle in your link has any connection to Sako either. The SN stamping is common for an FN marketed Mauser.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. So Sako made those triggers and sold them to FN? Is there a name for the triggers? I have encountered "Sako #4 Trigger" in some of my reading - is that it?
Thanks again,
Rex

I'd say it's an early version of the #4, as it's identical to the trigger in my L57. Sako made some minor changes to the body shape & adjustment screws on the ones in my L461, L579 & L61R. The #4 trigger had the integral safety, which allowed Mauser to eliminate the safety lever in the bolt cocking piece. The early Sako Hi-Power/Mauser had the bolt lever safety, which allows us to know if it was made before or after about 1957 or there abouts when the #4 trigger was introduced.

I agree with Paulson. Sako made its trigger to fit the FN action, which it supplied to FN; then Sako later built the L57 to fit the trigger, as well as the subsequent L- and A-series rifles.

The fact that the action has a Sako trigger only indicates it is a "later" one from around 1957 or later, subsequent to the introduction of the Sako trigger to the FN action. (Early Sako-FN rifles have the traditional Mauser trigger with a bolt safety on the cocking piece. Later ones used the same Sako trigger that FN adopted with a sliding trigger safety.)

Thanks again for the information folks. Does anybody know how long those triggers were produced/sold to FN? That would give me the tail end of the potential date rage. Sounds like it is from 1957 until...?
Thanks
Rex

FYI, it has this hinged bottom metal, minus the engraving, with the release just forward of the trigger guard bow:
2v2EnWm2MxeZA4.jpg

Latest posts

Back